Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electricity - reconnection fee?

Options
  • 10-06-2014 10:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭

We got our house keys last week, had an electrician call out today, he's currently replacing wires. I asked him how long until we can be reconnected, he said it will take 3 weeks because it's been off for 2 years.

Then he said he was quoted €1800 to get it switched on again. That just sounded mental to me, why is it so expensive?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,618 ✭✭✭Villa05

mauzo! wrote: »
    We got our house keys last week, had an electrician call out today, he's currently replacing wires. I asked him how long until we can be reconnected, he said it will take 3 weeks because it's been off for 2 years.

Then he said he was quoted €1800 to get it switched on again. That just sounded mental to me, why is it so expensive?
    Mafia Ireland, any protected sector in Ireland will fleece you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

When a house has been disconnected for more than 24 months the process to reconnect it is exactly the same one used deal with new properties that have never connected before. If I remember correctly you need submissions from your electrical contractor, planning documents, ordinance survey maps, site maps, etc all of which have to be assessed. It's an expensive process. Most householders never "see" this cost unless they build their own home as it's been absorbed into the cost of their house at build time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles

Oh jesus what a pain.

Thanks for the replies, I guess in 3 weeks I'll be so fed up ill pay anything to get electricity.

I had jaffa cakes for breakfast!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Villa05 wrote: »
    Mafia Ireland, any protected sector in Ireland will fleece you

see here: http://www.esb.ie/esbnetworks/en/domestic-customers/restoring_a_connection.jsp

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

:(

You could use a generator for the meantime - should get discount for 3 weeks

http://www.careytools.com/hero.asp?uid=6afd85a88f3b7887bf2efa3d8665d584&uidn=58&id=101&prodid=1042&catid=10

• Advertisement

gctest50 wrote: »
    :(

You could use a generator for the meantime - should get discount for 3 weeks

http://www.careytools.com/hero.asp?uid=6afd85a88f3b7887bf2efa3d8665d584&uidn=58&id=101&prodid=1042&catid=10

Wow, we saw them in woodIes for 250 so we might just get that! Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

Breakfast of champions!

Wow, we saw them in woodIes for 250 so we might just get that! Thanks
    Be careful if you consider buying. The diesel generator linked is a 10KVA unit (about 60% of normal domestic supply rating). A €250 petrol unit will probably be putting out 2-3KVA if you're lucky and isn't designed for the same kind of sustained use. Unless you're only going to use it for very basic supply you'll need a proper unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

For sure - you'd want at the least the one i linked to - smaller stuff will just meltdown and die

Okay that makes sense!

The electricians just left, said it shouldn't be longer than 10 working days so not to bother

• Advertisement

If It was just me I'd pick up a cheap butane/propane camping stove and a rechargeable lantern and do without the generator.

If It was just me I'd pick up a cheap butane/propane camping stove and a rechargeable lantern and do without the generator.

We have a gas camping stove and a load of candles.

He charges his phone in work, then we alternate so I have a fully charged phone every day. This existence is starting to feel a little degrading!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭househero

Mauzo,
    I'm in the exact same situation as you. Bought a house that's been disconnected more than 2 yrs. Can you explain what happens and the fees involved please? Do we need a solicitor for the site survey and stuff???

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭macnug

I bought a house recently that had the power switched off over two years. Applied to the esb online and got a quote back about a week later for 79 euro, couldn't believe it, should have been 1800. Went onto the reci site and contacted a local electrical contractor. He charged 300 for a wiring cert and a little over a week later the esb was out to fit a brand new meter and switch on electricity. The electrician said that in his experience you can get a quote from 79 to 1800 depending on what has to be done, i think i was just lucky though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭househero

macnug wrote: »
    I bought a house recently that had the power switched off over two years. Applied to the esb online and got a quote back about a week later for 79 euro, couldn't believe it, should have been 1800. Went onto the reci site and contacted a local electrical contractor. He charged 300 for a wiring cert and a little over a week later the esb was out to fit a brand new meter and switch on electricity. The electrician said that in his experience you can get a quote from 79 to 1800 depending on what has to be done, i think i was just lucky though.

There is hope. Good man

Advertisement