Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fish for 2 year old

Options
  • 10-06-2014 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭

I have a 2 year old boy and he's a pretty good eater, he was in hospital lately with pneumonia and had a bug as well coming out of hospital , since he's a good eater I want to try building him up with better food as I do feel we don't give him as good a food as we maybe should .

I was wondering does anyone have any advice on sardines or herring, he has eaten cod for us in past but I eat sardines and I find them great.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭addob

Hi Monkey,

not herring or sardines but my little boy of 2 loves salmon. Easy to bake fillets plain or with just lemon slices. It used to be his favorite meal with peas!

addob

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

I cant think of any reason not to try it. Make sure the fish doesnt have any bones in them, obviously, but otherwise I'd say go for it.

I keep sneaking in new foods every now and again, and allow our 2.5 year old a taste. He can leave it if he doesnt like it. Bearing in mind that it takes a good few times of tasting things to like them, so I keep offering stuff.

He'll try anything (but he's the kid who prefers broccoli to chips, and peels the batter of his fish fingers as he prefers just the fish. Yep, you can hate us now :p).

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Most kids love fish fingers. And if they are grilled instead of fried, they are much nicer. But any kind of white fish that is meaty like cod, coley or sea-bass have very few bones and are lovely gently steamed to retain the nutrients. Certainly try him with sardines - some kids love strong flavours, some kids adore marmite for instance!

Lentils in a stew, chickpeas (hummus+ carrot batons) are also good healthy foods.

You can get baby pro-biotic, I add it to my toddlers nighttime milk, as he was getting coughs and colds constantly after a couple of bouts of anti-biotic.

A baby multi-vitamin might be no harm too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Neyite wrote: »
    Most kids love fish fingers. And if they are grilled instead of fried, they are much nicer. But any kind of white fish that is meaty like cod, coley or sea-bass have very few bones and are lovely gently steamed to retain the nutrients. Certainly try him with sardines - some kids love strong flavours, some kids adore marmite for instance!

Lentils in a stew, chickpeas (hummus+ carrot batons) are also good healthy foods.

You can get baby pro-biotic, I add it to my toddlers nighttime milk, as he was getting coughs and colds constantly after a couple of bouts of anti-biotic.

A baby multi-vitamin might be no harm too.

Thank you very much for your advice, and everybody's els,s .

I mixed sardines in with mash and he eat it no probs , he loves his mushy peas and marrofat peas and baked beans so I'll try some of that stuff .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

What the others said, just offer them as is. My three year old has always loved olives from when she was very small. her favourites are the ones stuffed with anchovies. She likes smoked mackeral on crackers as well. I can't stand anything aniseed, but she loves it.

Would he eat ordinary peas and beans instead of the mushy and baked versions? Those have sugar and salt added, Might be better to give him the other ones?

I know what you mean about hospitals, mine was in there as well this year, and the food in there was pretty bad on the children's wards some days. Not a vegetable to be seen for days, every meat was breaded and deepfried, and they were bring around cans of 7up and ribena boxes for them to drink instead of water or milk. We ended up asking for an adult ward menu and getting small portions to get any kind of non-processed food.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Id go for fillets of fish and double check for bones. My fella is 18 months and absolutely loves salmon. So easy just to pop in oven on some foil. He also likes cod and had plaice today for his lunch. Gosh... I should actually prob b giving him more red meat! Fish is just so easy and he loves it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

my kids love salmon,they also love Donegal catch and fish fingers.Sweet potatoes cut thin and baked are gorgeous and good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

this is a great Jamie Oliver Fish Pie recipe which mine loved and you could batch cook and freeze. It's really simple too - not scary fish pie!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGWqbZmuP3U

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Kash

My 2 year old loves seafood chowder - you can get the sea food mix in Lidl or Supervalu, fry it up with a little butter, a sprinkle of tarragon and a good glug of cream, and add that to leek and potato soup (shop or home made, both taste great :) )

Advertisement