Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Honda Bros 400

• 10-06-2014 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 30

I Just finished the IBT,and Im planning on getting my first bike, I was looking at the honda bros 400, it seems to be suitable for the A2 test,which is what im going for, and i like the look of the bike itself. does anybody on here have any experience with this bike? ive heard its a very reliable bike generally,most of them for sale have at least 40 - 50k on the clocks hope this wouldnt be a major factor, is there any known issues i should be aware of before checking one out? Its going to be used mainly for commuting around dublin,and it will be my first bike with the aim of passing my test and moving onto something more modern afterwards,any hep would be aprreciated, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭szatan84

I was recommended this bike when was looking to upgrade to something bigger. Theyre supposedly bulletproof.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Bros are a great bike, they are so good a lot where used for couriering. Just do the usual checks when buying 2nd hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭rowanh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

Just bare in mind they're all ancient by now. so lots ropey old hags about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

rowanh wrote: »

That looks like a very clean bike. But for a 20 year old bike of its size i'd be looking to pay closer to 1000 than 1500.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Honda build quality from that era was probably the best it will ever be.
    Thick paint and chrome, high quality castings.etc etc.
    Find a clean non-abused Bros and you will have a nice bike.
    There are quite a few around so worth looking for a good one.
    The engines varied between years with things like oil lines changing so not all parts can be swapped over from year to year.
    Great bikes though IMO, V-twins are a nice engine for a bike.
    Hard to believe the Deauville is a close relative under all that plastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭peckerhead

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Honda build quality from that era was probably the best it will ever be.
    Thick paint and chrome, high quality castings.etc etc.
    Find a clean non-abused Bros and you will have a nice bike.
    +1. Any of their 400 fours, to be honest. Don't overlook the CB-1, if you come across one in good shape.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

I had a Bros as my second bike and passed my test on it too. I happened to have one that gave a lot of trouble, but I think that was the exception. They are a nice bike, however they're a little cramped if you're on it for any more than 30-40 minutes. Not fantastic on the motorway, but almost unrivaled around town (fold the mirrors up and you'll fit in anywhere. I'd actually love a spin on one now for old times sake.

Do also look at the Super 4, it's an inline 4 instead of a VTwin so it behaves a bit differently, but still a fantastic bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Honestandy

Thanks for the replies folks,seems the general consensus is that the bros are a pretty good bike.i was checking out the super fours also, ill pick one of them up if i dont come across a decent bros. honda did make gorgeus looking bikes back in that era didnt they,and bulletproof too, but i suppose that hasnt changed much has it,they are 'the motor company' after all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Honestandy wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies folks,seems the general consensus is that the bros are a pretty good bike.i was checking out the super fours also, ill pick one of them up if i dont come across a decent bros. honda did make gorgeus looking bikes back in that era didnt they,and bulletproof too, but i suppose that hasnt changed much has it,they are 'the motor company' after all!
    You have it, The Honda Motor Company.
    Usually they are bulletproof as long as they are serviced correctly.
    Mostly sensor free back then too, the only issue is usually reg/recs and they can be easily and cheaply fixed these days with a MOSFET replacement.
    Don't forget the NTV and Bros 650 as well as the Revere. Basically bigger versions of the same engine.
    The Alloy frame on the Bros is a lovely piece of work though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

If you decide on the bros make sure you check out the chain tensioner, you're supposed to tighten it with a special tool, but what happens is, people tighten it with a screwdriver and a hammer, which knock lumps out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Honestandy

cheers for the advice,if anybody comes across a decent one thats worth checking out,be sure to let me know! thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭neamhspleachi

Honestandy wrote: »
    cheers for the advice,if anybody comes across a decent one thats worth checking out,be sure to let me know! thanks again
    http://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/honda-bros-400/7081744

http://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/honda-bros/6847240

Advertisement