Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SUSI Grant application

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

spudnick wrote: »
    They basically said I can't apply as a mature independent because I don't have required documents and I can't apply as dependant because I don't know where my mother is to get income details. Just seems messed up

Yeah that's mental. They're sticklers for their regulations >.< You could try writing to the Minister for Education and explain your situation, or speak to a solicitor about being officially estranged/emancipated or w/e might work. You could ask in the legal discussion forum here about how to legally prove you are independent/estranged.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭spudnick

rawn wrote: »
    Yeah that's mental. They're sticklers for their regulations >.< You could try writing to the Minister for Education and explain your situation, or speak to a solicitor about being officially estranged/emancipated or w/e might work. You could ask in the legal discussion forum here about how to legally prove you are independent/estranged.

Thanks tbh I would have thought on the death cert where is says divorced and deceased would be enough. I've managed to get an appointment with local td will suggest minister of education to her thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Triona00

Hi, I am waiting to hear back from susi to see will they pay my student contribution fee. If i dont hear anything back from them by oct will the uni ask me to leave as I am not in a position 2 pay this fee myself. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Lee Arsenal

Triona00 wrote: »
    Hi, I am waiting to hear back from susi to see will they pay my student contribution fee. If i dont hear anything back from them by oct will the uni ask me to leave as I am not in a position 2 pay this fee myself. Thanks.

Which university is it? Some colleges can be strict about fees and others not so much. Did you apply for the HEAR scheme through the CAO? If you don't get the grant from susi, the college will most likely figure out a payment plan for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bizzyb

Triona00 wrote: »

No most colleges will suspend the use of facilities like library etc from November and the can withhold your Christmas exam results.But I wouldn't worry about it, we're all in the same boat when it comes to susi!

• Advertisement

Meant to say actually, I got my registration pack from college the other day and in it was a bill for fees, tuition fee and student contribution fee has been deducted all the bill is for is a materials fee bill of €29. I've heard nothing from susi final assessment for 10 weeks now but why are my fees deducted, obviously the colleges are liaising with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 alex03

bri007 wrote: »
    Hi looking for a bit of advice. Just got letter from susi that they are rejecting my application on being over the income limit.

I live at home with my father, my mother and father are separated for the past number of years and have not been living together.

My father works full time, and last year did some casual work that he made a return to revenue on. When he did the return, as still being marrieds mothers income was on it. Susi are taking my mothers income into account in my application.

I provided a solicitors letter outlining my mother and father have been living apart for 3 years.

I don't know what else to do now, I'll have to drop out of college as I can't afford the fees

If your Mother is working, she should be contributing to your education. Your father can apply to the courts for maintenance for you. Maintenance is due until you are 23 if you are in full time education. Don't lose your education because of this, your Mother has a legal and moral obligation to help support you. Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

alex03 wrote: »
    If your Mother is working, she should be contributing to your education. Your father can apply to the courts for maintenance for you. Maintenance is due until you are 23 if you are in full time education. Don't lose your education because of this, your Mother has a legal and moral obligation to help support you. Best of luck!

Hi thanks for the reply, unfortunately I am 32 so that's a no go there. We don't have much, if any contact withy mother, only the odd time when needs be. I don't think there is any other option now but drop out, I've applied for a loan but got rejected, I've got work during college but it won't be enough to cover the fees at all let alone going to and from college

I've been following this thread for some time. Unless I missed a post, has anyone received confirmation that their grant will be paid?

Madness that some posters have been at final stage since early June. How many people work at susi? Are there different depatments for each stage? If so, wtf are final stage dept doing all day?

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭GingerNut93

I've been following this thread for some time. Unless I missed a post, has anyone received confirmation that their grant will be paid?

Madness that some posters have been at final stage since early June. How many people work at susi? Are there different depatments for each stage? If so, wtf are final stage dept doing all day?

Hey, no you haven't missed out no one has been confirmed yet! I rang them the other day and they told me the final assesment should take eight to ten weeks even though they have mine over ten weeks! I can't get my head around whats taking so long

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

It's a truly laughable system. To even call it a system is actually inaccurate; it's a sham.

Guess my account will be in Overdraft until December at least! :)

It's a fantastic time to be a disadvantaged College student in Ireland these days isn't it?

Hey, no you haven't missed out no one has been confirmed yet! I rang them the other day and they told me the final assesment should take eight to ten weeks even though they have mine over ten weeks! I can't get my head around whats taking so long

Can't get my head around it either. In June a pile of applications (with all docs submitted) started to grow. Someone was top of the pile. So, SUSI employee takes No1, ticks yes/no against criteria and reaches a conclusion, clicks for either an awarded or declined letter to be printed and job done. Moves to No2 on pile.

Realistically how long should that take, 15 minutes, 20 minutes (incl putting letter in an envelope)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Another delay is that up until yesterday CAO had yet to pass on the course acceptance via their system to SUSI. Those FCA details will be released from Monday so that will begin to shake things up.

Ah sorry, I didn't factor in cao info. I guess final stage dept will be flat out from Monday. Hopefully, they have all the other criteria inputted.

Hopefully I get my grant awarded letter once the cao do their thing.

I need it to avoid having to pay full fees on registration day.

I have no idea how susi work tho. I applied to he same day as a friend yet I'm on provisionally awarded and she is still awaiting assessment. It all comes down to how complicated your situation is I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭jjll

has anyone else got application submitted it has changed from awaiting assessment???????

• Registered Users Posts: 36 alex03

jjll wrote: »
    has anyone else got application submitted it has changed from awaiting assessment???????

Yes, it was at documents submitted waiting final assessment from June 19th and is back to application submitted stage this morning. It looks like their system has crashed!!

All that's needed at this final stage!

alex03 wrote: »
    Yes, it was at documents submitted waiting final assessment from June 19th and is back to application submitted stage this morning. It looks like their system has crashed!!

All that's needed at this final stage!

About right

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭The Diddakoi

Applied 16th June, first time application.
    Just changed from awaiting final assessment to "Provisionally Awarded pending receipt and review of course acceptance details from the CAO" this morning.

alf66 wrote: »
    Just changed from awaiting final assessment to "Provisionally Awarded pending receipt and review of course acceptance details from the CAO" this morning.

Wow well done, think you could be the first person to be approved :-)! I applied May 19th and still nothing.

• Advertisement

Mine hasn't changed at all.. Did the cao send over the information to susi late? Because I rang last week and they told me I had to fill in the final acceptance part on my grant bit even tho I linked both my cao and susi application together. They said my cao info never came up.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭kaki

My application updated too this morning to Final Assessment...

@GingerNut93 that doesn't sound right! I would get onto them again to double check, filling out and sending the FCA needlessly is extra time and hassle on your part.

congrats must be the first out of 300 thousand :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

kaki wrote: »
    My application updated too this morning to Final Assessment...

@GingerNut93 that doesn't sound right! I would get onto them again to double check, filling out and sending the FCA needlessly is extra time and hassle on your part.

I know I'm going to have to get in contact with them!! Talk about wasting time.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 KhAoS_ThEoRy

Since the 23rd of August my application has said, "Current Status: Provisionally Awarded pending receipt and review of course acceptance details from the CAO." Who would I get onto to get this moved along quicker CAO or SUSI? Or do I just continue the waiting game? Starting college Monday and would like to know what's going on.

Since the 23rd of August my application has said, "Current Status: Provisionally Awarded pending receipt and review of course acceptance details from the CAO." Who would I get onto to get this moved along quicker CAO or SUSI? Or do I just continue the waiting game? Starting college Monday and would like to know what's going on.

Its been mentioned before but susi are only beginning to recieve "Course Acceptance Details" from cao this week.

Count yourself lucky at least you have been awarded!

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭eildar

Alf66 just wondering did you apply on the 16th June or were all your documents received on the 16th. My son applied in May they had all documents in June. Have awaiting final assessment since then. I spoke to SUSI today again and they said they are starting to award to new applications after the 5th of September.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭TheBoss11

I filled out the FCA form today, does this affect anytging?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

TheBoss11 wrote: »
    I filled out the FCA form today, does this affect anytging?

What is this?

Advertisement