Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SUSI Grant application

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭The Diddakoi

dougiex06 wrote: »
    . They are looking for documents to cover independent residency to cover OCTOBER 2011?! Can anyone tell me why they need this? I have to have these documents back in by the 15th of Sept for my application to continue.

I would ring and ask at the help desk.
    They must have the date wrong, can't see why they would ask for stuff from 2011 !!

From susi Facebook page:

" apply as an independent student you have to be over 23 on the 1st January in the year of your first entry to further or higher education. You also have to have been living away from your parent(s) from 1st October prior to that year. We accept the following documents for evidence of independent residence once they cover the required time period: Utility bills, statement of rent allowance or mortgage supplement statement, lease agreements, a letter from the PRTB and TV licences. If you have applied as an independent student and cannot furnish us with the above documentation, you will have to cancel your existing application and re-apply as a dependent student."

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭clairek6

Anyone going into to second year know what the story with the grant is? I applied once it reopened and its been waiting assesment since

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭dougiex06

alf66 wrote: »
    your first entry to further or higher education. You also have to have been living away from your parent(s) from 1st October prior to that year."

I see now why they are looking for it because i started in nuim in sept 2012 so the previous year would be 2011 but does this mean that if you are not living out of home the first year of your course you are ineligible for the grant every year thereafter? I didnt need the grant the first two years, now i do after playing full tuition fees last year and living on my own for the last year. Nightmare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭jjll

Nightmare after 6 weeks of application awaiting assesment get a letter wanting more info on nationality really annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭mountcisco

I see now why they are looking for it because i started in nuim in sept 2012 so the previous year would be 2011 but does this mean that if you are not living out of home the first year of your course you are ineligible for the grant every year thereafter? I didnt need the grant the first two years, now i do after playing full tuition fees last year and living on my own for the last year. Nightmare.

Looks like that's the case unfortunately according to SUSI:

"...an applicant is classed from when their undergraduate studies begin unless there is a three year break. To be classed as an independent student an applicant would of have to have been living independently from October 1st prior to entering higher education. An applicant would also have to have been 23 on the 1st of January of the year they are entering their undergraduate studies. If an applicant was to enter undergraduate studies in September 2012, they would of have to have been living independently since October 2011 and have been 23 on the 1st of January 2012".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 borderbuddy

jjll wrote: »
    Nightmare after 6 weeks of application awaiting assesment get a letter wanting more info on nationality really annoying

got the same when i dealt with my daughters application wanted a passport cause she was born in the north had to go to the board of education to tell them it wasnt required as being born on the island of ireland she is a citizen

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Conor9320

I got the same but I was asked by the college not SUSI?

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭GingerNut93

Has anyone heard of anyone being approved? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I am having a nightmare with Susi. Back in 2012/2013 I was in NUIM, as a mature student studying science, I didnt apply for the grant as I was living at home but i moved out in January 2013 of that year for the academic year. After i completed the year i transferred into my current course in DCU, but started back in 1st year again. The year of 2013/2014 I paid full tuition fees of €7000+. I also moved out, to a new place in September, of 2013. Now, this year im going into second year of my course and I have applied for the grand. I applied on the first day and they received all requested documentation on the 10th of June. I haven't heard anything back until today. THEY ARE LOOKING FOR MORE DOCUMENTS after all this time. They are looking for documents to cover independent residency to cover OCTOBER 2011?! Can anyone tell me why they need this? I have to have these documents back in by the 15th of Sept for my application to continue.

It looks to me like SUSI will insist on assessing you as a dependent student student. You entered in 2012/2013 as dependent because you were living at home. You can't change status from dependent to independent unless there is a 3 year gap.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Mario95

My status didn't change for more than a month now. It is "Provisionally Awarded pending receipt and review of course acceptance details from the CAO.".

Will the process be over after CAO gives them these details, or will I have to send them more documents after this stage?

• Advertisement

got the same when i dealt with my daughters application wanted a passport cause she was born in the north had to go to the board of education to tell them it wasnt required as being born on the island of ireland she is a citizen

Already tried to say that she been here for last 8 years and had a irish dad but no want more info

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

I've my renewal in 8 weeks now, still haven't been initially assessed. It's a FABULOUS system :)

Already tried to say that she been here for last 8 years and had a irish dad but no want more info

im assuming she doesnt hold an irish passport and wasnt born on the island of ireland ? i would think a copy of her and her dads birth cert would show her right to citizenship (in my case i refused point blank as i wasnt prepared to pay the 90 odd euro to renew my daughters passport as her birth cert clearly proved her citizenship)

im assuming she doesnt hold an irish passport and wasnt born on the island of ireland ? i would think a copy of her and her dads birth cert would show her right to citizenship (in my case i refused point blank as i wasnt prepared to pay the 90 odd euro to renew my daughters passport as her birth cert clearly proved her citizenship)

Tried the birth cert thing and they said not enough evidence

Tried the birth cert thing and they said not enough evidence

have they given you a list of other documents they require? you could always contact the department of education in tullamore they will clarify any requirement and advise susi (if its good enough for the passport office it should be good enough for susi)

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Conor9320

This may be a stupid question but I figured I'd ask anyway.. You know how there's a fee grant (which covers the tuition fee element, student contribution element and a field trip element) and a maintanance grant? Does that mean if I qualify for a 100% grant that I'd get 3,025 & 2,750+ for my registration fees etc? Or do you only get a fee grant if you don't qualify for the maintanance grant? Thanks in advance :P

Conor9320 wrote: »
    This may be a stupid question but I figured I'd ask anyway.. You know how there's a fee grant (which covers the tuition fee element, student contribution element and a field trip element) and a maintanance grant? Does that mean if I qualify for a 100% grant that I'd get 3,025 & 2,750+ for my registration fees etc? Or do you only get a fee grant if you don't qualify for the maintanance grant? Thanks in advance :P

Yes if you get a maintenance grant it also means you get a fee grant.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭blackkeyes

Anyone going to Maynooth hear anything back from them? I know we start back later so I'm assuming that's why I haven't heard anything but I'm just wondering if anybody else has.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Xscreamokidx

blackkeyes wrote: »
    Anyone going to Maynooth hear anything back from them? I know we start back later so I'm assuming that's why I haven't heard anything but I'm just wondering if anybody else has.

Absolutely nothing

Absolutely nothing

Yeah you see I think we're back later than any other uni (or any of my friends going elsewhere anyway)
    Hopefully this week they'll give us word.

• Advertisement

I doubt it makes a difference where you go.

Terry Pratchet

I doubt it makes a difference where you go.

well the fees payment Deadlines are different and they probably correspond with the dates of registration.
    I don't know, I just assumed because I know someone who started last week and they heard from Susi just before they were back.
    But of course, I'm probably talking crap, sorry :D

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭nobodyknows

well the fees payment Deadlines are different and they probably correspond with the dates of registration.
    I don't know, I just assumed because I know someone who started last week and they heard from Susi just before they were back.
    But of course, I'm probably talking crap, sorry :D

The college you are going to doesn't come into account with regards to when you will get approved.
    Some people will get approved before they start college, others will get approved after they start college.
    You might get lucky and get approved before you start but I wouldn't look at it as guaranteed to happen.
    Some colleges will allow you to temporarily register for a month or two, so I'd check if your college will allow this, if not then you will need to pay the fees and then get reimbursed if you get approved.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭dougiex06

It looks to me like SUSI will insist on assessing you as a dependent student student. You entered in 2012/2013 as dependent because you were living at home. You can't change status from dependent to independent unless there is a 3 year gap.

I see. Would this be class under a change of circumstances as I'm 26 and living out of home for 2 years? Does this mean that I wont even get my fees paid?

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭The Diddakoi

Had to apply for a passport for my daughter. Born in England, but lived here 17 years, Irish father.
    Really slows things up.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 KhAoS_ThEoRy

Just a quick update on my application:

I called CAO today and asked what the deal was with the FCA they were supposed to send on to SUSI. The person I spoke with informed me that my FCA details were sent on to SUSI a while ago, and that if SUSI told me otherwise, to take their name down. To be fair, the lady at CAO was way more competent than SUSI full stop. I called SUSI in reards to this and the person I spoke with informed me that all they need now was to get my registration details from my college, saying it will take two weeks?!? Really?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

If your renewing a grant do you have to send in any documents? Ive been awarded a renewal but im not sure if I have to send in any forms from college?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭James__10

Just recieved a email from Susi.
    Your online application for a student grant for the 2014/2015 academic year has been assessed and a document request schedule was issued to you to support your application. This document schedule had a return date specific to your application showing when SUSI expected to receive all your documents.
    You have not returned your completed document schedule by that return date. We can not progress your application without the requested documentation.
    With regard the bit in bold, I haven't recieved anything from SUSI at all. Anyone else get a email like this today?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Interiors6969

Quick question..

I'm too waiting for an approval/refusal from SUSI....my course starts next week and the college said "However, a fee of 3500.00 euro remains outstanding. You will be liable for this fee until such time that your grant award is confirmed by SUSI or by a Local Authority or VEC"...

Does this mean i have to pay this before i start college ?? So confused, first time applying for a grant!

Interiors

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 rosepetal_irl

You are liable for your fees until Susi decides yes or no.

Every college is different in what is acceptable but in mine they allow until October to get the grant letter and then they keep reminding you to pay the fees until they with-hold your exam results or stop you from using labs/library etc. They also have the option of you paying fees in 2 halves, so half is due Sept 24th this year. Now if you are feeling twitching about it you could pay a bit and then when SUSI pays the fees the college gives back what you paid them.

I'd tell your college fees office you are still waiting on SUSI and give them your W number from your SUSI application and this should keep them off your back for a while.

I applied in August last year and got the grant letter 29th October, just so you know. This year I am a renewal and I applied in May and still stuck on 'awaiting assessment' since Jul 3rd so who knows when I'll hear this year. Either way I'm not worrying as much as I did last year. Colleges are well aware of how SUSI operates at this stage!

Advertisement