Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SUSI Grant application

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Interiors6969

Yeah i will get onto them and see how much room i have to wiggle to pay this (via susi of course) as i can't afford it literally, with a mortgage and 3 little rugrats need feeding lol.

Hopefully DIT will be kind to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭jjll

Applied for irish passport for my daughter now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

Does anybody know if susi convers costs for equipment? My uniform and knives for culinary arts are costing nearly €500 and I have to pay by tomorrow, if I borrow does it get reimbursed or do they not help towards that at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 borderbuddy

As of today there are still no dates for the payment of grant installments !!
    doesnt instill much confidence in the application process not only cant we find out when our grants might be awarded we cant even guess when a payment might be fortcoming makes ya wonder if its all a way of passing department budgets into the following year .....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 202 ✭✭Arnold Tanzarian

rawn wrote: »
    Does anybody know if susi convers costs for equipment? My uniform and knives for culinary arts are costing nearly €500 and I have to pay by tomorrow, if I borrow does it get reimbursed or do they not help towards that at all?

Would the 4 thousand or whatever you receive from the grant not be enought to cover that?

Fair enough it might not be with you for a few weeks but I would of thought myself fees like you have just mentioned are just what the grant was brought in for?

• Advertisement

Would the 4 thousand or whatever you receive from the grant not be enought to cover that?

Fair enough it might not be with you for a few weeks but I would of thought myself fees like you have just mentioned are just what the grant was brought in for?

the full 100 % maintenence grant equates to approx 70 euro a week based on 43 week term ... hardly enough to keep a student fed let alone rent travel etc . To original poster as far as i am aware there are no additional allowances for course kit etc you can only hope your bank is understanding with the provision of an overdraught and some part time work to service the overdraught .

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭KellyR18

How much would you get for the 100% maintenance non-adjacent? I'm mad at math and lazy :P

I literally have no idea how much of a fees grant (if any) I will get. My bank won't give me an overdraft as it dips below zero too often :rolleyes: I can borrow the money I need for tomorrow as an emergency from a friend but I would need to pay it back quite soon, which would be near impossible. I spoke to the college about my options and my options were pretty much to pay for the knives and half the uniforms tomorrow (with half the uniforms being bought next week instead of this week).

KellyR18 wrote: »
    How much would you get for the 100% maintenance non-adjacent? I'm mad at math and lazy :P

E3025 is the 100% maintenance grant

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Conor9320

Is it true that if you get the special rate grant + money from HEAR that you could end up with near 7k (6,915e)? That'd be quality!

• Advertisement

Conor9320 wrote: »
    Is it true that if you get the special rate grant + money from HEAR that you could end up with near 7k (6,915e)? That'd be quality!

:eek:

TBH I assumed SUSI just covered the fees and didn't give extra on top of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭KellyR18

E3025 is the 100% maintenance grant

It says €1,215 is the standard 100% maintenance grant, is that wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

KellyR18 wrote: »
    It says €1,215 is the standard 100% maintenance grant, is that wrong?

Thats adjacent. If its non adjacent you get 3025

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Thats adjacent. If its non adjacent you get 3025

So if I live near the college, and my fees are €2750, they only pay €1215 off of the fees??

• Registered Users Posts: 19 triusis

Hey guys, I'm getting a bit confused here. Say if I am awarded a 100% maintenance grant " Adjacent", which now is 1,215 euro. Does this mean that I will get 1,215 every month over the nine months or will they divide this sum over the next 9 months?

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭kaki

Hi Triusis, the €1,215 is awarded for the whole year i.e. €135 per month.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 triusis

kaki wrote: »
    Hi Triusis, the €1,215 is awarded for the whole year i.e. €135 per month.
    Damn, I wish I knew that, I just assumed it would be more, I get more than that in a week now. Is it too late to switch to back to education allowance? I was provisionally awarded my grant.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭whoopsadaisy

Guys wondering could anyone give me a bit of help here :o

When I was filling in the SUSI, I was working 8 hours a week part time but I got summer work and since June I've been working full time (40 hours). It's only after dawning on me that I may have had to declare this and SUSI have had my bank details since May so presumably they've been able to see the extra income coming in. Does anyone know if this could affect my grant?

I've been at SUSI on a regular basis and they're still saying that CAO haven't communicated with them whether or not I've accepted a course yet and I'd assume it's the same for everyone who accepted through CAO :/

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Sara3305

What does adjacent/non adjacent mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭redtelephone

So if I live near the college, and my fees are €2750, they only pay €1215 off of the fees??

No the €2750 is paid in full for you, you get the maintenance grant of €1215 for expenses - food, travel etc.

• Advertisement

Sara3305 wrote: »
    What does adjacent/non adjacent mean?

Adjacent: your current address of residence is 45km or less away from your college.
    Non-adjacent: your current address of residence more than 45km away from your college.

HTH

When I was filling in the SUSI, I was working 8 hours a week part time but I got summer work and since June I've been working full time (40 hours). It's only after dawning on me that I may have had to declare this and SUSI have had my bank details since May so presumably they've been able to see the extra income coming in. Does anyone know if this could affect my grant?

I've been at SUSI on a regular basis and they're still saying that CAO haven't communicated with them whether or not I've accepted a course yet and I'd assume it's the same for everyone who accepted through CAO :/

SUSI only take your bank details for the purposes of paying you your grant, should your application be successful. They can't few incoming/outgoing payments - that would be a fundamental breach of data protection.

If your summer job is on the books though SUSI may receive information from the Revenue about your income. Probably best to be up front, rather than have SUSI discover at a later date.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭OkeyDoke12

Why is susi asking for bank details when all I need is my fees paid as I'm eligible for BTEA?

Just got an email back from susi saying they don't cover equipment prices. Ah well

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Ganymede Glow

Hi all, just wondering can anyone give me a bit of clarity on this, sorry if it's been asked a hundred times now. I have applied for the grant for the 14/15 academic year. I am currently on Jobseekers Allowance and I was planning to switch to BTEA should I meet the requirements. I am a little confused as to how this works. Should I qualify for the grant does that cover the college fees and can I continue to collect BTEA assuming I qualify for that payment?

I am just looking for clarity or a break down of the fees involved as without a regular weekly payment that the BTEA or JA would bring i would be unable to continue with my grant application or chosen course. Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Boeing777

When I was filling in the SUSI, I was working 8 hours a week part time but I got summer work and since June I've been working full time (40 hours). It's only after dawning on me that I may have had to declare this and SUSI have had my bank details since May so presumably they've been able to see the extra income coming in. Does anyone know if this could affect my grant

This years grant is based on last years income (i.e. income from 2013) so your job this summer will have no effect until next years grant application.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Conor9320

:eek:

TBH I assumed SUSI just covered the fees and didn't give extra on top of that.

No SUSI give a fee grant and a maintanance grant. As far as I'm aware your fees dont come out of the maintanance grant

just came across this document the section on service delivery makes interesting reading and states students should have provisional decisions before college
    cant post links so google

susi operational guidelines
    3rd result should be management agreement between........

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Interiors6969

The college dat i'm attening r willing to wait till i get approval/refusal from SUSI...so i can start college with a some kind of happiness....SUSI better come thru lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭irishlad12345

do plc students get less theN an it/uni student or even more because susi didnt have to pay admission fees sound like a stupid question but i was just wandering :P

Advertisement