Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Sord renewal

Options
  • 10-06-2014 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭

I just got my first SORD renewal in the post this morning and it looks like I'm going to have to traipse into the tax office to renew it.
    No PIN supplied with it, even though the SORD pamphlet that came with it says there should be a pin:(
    So is this the norm for SORD renewals?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

I was only thinking of that the other day, knew it was coming around.
    I can't offer a solution but let me know how you get on

• Registered Users Posts: 15 JohnTheBobs

I got a tax renewal form in the post when my SORD expired which I thought was great as I was putting the car back on the road for the summer. No Pin though. I just posted it thru' the letterbox in my local tax office. Was able to renew tax before start of May. Previously, I had to wait till after 1st May which has coincided with the May Bank Holiday weekend & like to have it on the road for then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

I tried to re-tax a car on-line, that had been SORD'd, by requesting a new pin etc. but it wasn't possible to complete as it would not accept the off road period and insisted I paid arrears. I had to do it manually in the office.

Another car, that I wished to re-declare, I was able to request a pin and declare it on-line.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Here's the message I got when I tried to retrieve the PIN just now.

The tax on this vehicle expired more than three months ago. Your motor tax transaction must be completed through your local motor tax office

You can see now why the guy in Castledermot auctioned his 70 classics off:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

I was 2 days over the expiry of the last tax, posted off the SORD - ' Not accepted - you owe us tax from beginning of June until .... ' They can go and sing for it now :mad:
    UK - When you need to make a SORN
    You can make a SORN if you don’t use or keep your vehicle on a public road (eg you keep it in a garage, on a drive or on private land). You don’t have to buy a tax disc if you have a SORN

NO PROBLEM AFICS in the UK :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

How many vehicles do I own : 6 how many are taxed :3
    So why is that an issue ?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Just got two Motor Tax renewals in the post today for cars on SORD.

SORD'd them again for another 12 months each no problem. Done in less than five minutes.

What's the problem? :confused: Can youse lot no use a computer? :P

Here's one on a brown Tax Book. Hasn't been on the road for ages. Originally SORN'd at the local Motor Tax Office last year.

14208553710_d175010cdf_z.jpgMotorTaxSORD by macplaxton, on Flickr

PIN is there on the right in the box, 43xxxx. In this particular case it was the last 6 digits of the chassis number. For the other car, it wasn't. But it might be worth a punt going with the last 6 digits of chassis number before
    requesting a new pin.
    So I goes online at 3am when the site might be down for maintenance, but it up and working.

Click on the "click here" at the very bottom of the first page...
    14393770932_14f45518f5_z.jpgSORD1 by macplaxton, on Flickr

Then get this page:
    14391787841_a6557b2d83_z.jpgSORD2 by macplaxton, on Flickr

Then it comes up with another page with my vehicle details, etc. Confirm that page and then onto this page:

14208524348_95a792c756_z.jpgSORD3 by macplaxton, on Flickr

Chose from 3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11 or 12 months of off-road period. Tick the declaration box. Then get a receipt page that you can print off.

14393861612_5a80a2f890_z.jpgSORD5 by macplaxton, on Flickr

Capri wrote: »
    NO PROBLEM AFICS in the UK :)

Plenty of problems, you just can't see from here. ;)

Reminders would often arrive at least a couple of weeks before you could actually do anything with them. Needless to say it was easy to forget to deal with them and get the fine in the post.

Buying an untaxed car. You have to SORN it straight away as any pre-existing SORN would drop off on sale/transfer of registered keeper. But you can't SORN it until the V5C is in you name. There wasn't a way to do it both at the same time. Again, not moving fast enough or a delay in the post would result in a fine landing on the mat.

Never mind the ones that the DVLA says they never received when it was all done online and confirmed by email.

Grass is greener, blah, blah, blah. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Why you couldn't declare just once until you decide to re tax the car I dunno..
    Oh yeah, of course, when they decide to charge for it they can rob you every year then...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

Re SORN / SORD , I have no experience of the UK so grass was greener :o

But WHY we just cannot log on hee and say car is off the road, and IF you're caught with it on the road then a €1k fine or somesuch.

My car is off the road now and all I need to do to overcome the DoE's 'rules' are 'sell' it and repurchase it a month later :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Went down to the tax office this morning, he said the whole thing is still a mess.
    Everyone should get a PIN, but some are not, some are not even getting renewal notices.
    It was designed that the default would be to get all vehicles taxed, continuous renewal of SORDs never really came into it, they were flooded with vintage cars and tractors which they were not expecting.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Justjens

hi5 wrote: »
    they were flooded with vintage cars and tractors which they were not expecting.

:D:D:D:D let's keep flooding them and they might change their minds;)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,324 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

hi5 wrote: »
    they were flooded with vintage cars

Perhaps they should extend the vintage tax to cars aged 20 years and over.

They'd get €56 per car instead of €0. Everybody wins* :)

* this depends of course on the number of cars aged between 20 and 30 years that are actually taxed and the total actual tax take on these cars

unkel wrote: »
    Perhaps they should extend the vintage tax to cars aged 20 years and over.

A flood would be a tsunami then!

There's a huge smell of self-interest wafting in my direction here!

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭trevorbrady

exactly the same as the OP, mine arrived in the post this morning: no PIN.

TBH, I only declared that one SORD as an experiment. I have others that I've done nothing about...

exactly the same as the OP, mine arrived in the post this morning: no PIN.

Have you tried the last 6 digits of the chassis number?

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭mamakevf

Have 4 on SORD, 2 cars and 2 commercials, cars have pins, commercials have no pins.
    Commercials never had pins as a CRW has to be produced at the Tax office, so unfortunately Sord renewal on a commercial will have to be done manually at the Tax office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

just post the form in if you cant do it online....no need to go in

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Justjens

It's now a month since we've had to resord our vehicles, has anyone received a new sord cert or have they decided to save a few bob and not bother sending them out?

Or did I miss something on the renewal form?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭shineon23

Tried online with the last 6 digits of the chassis number on 4 yokes, 3 cars, 1 tractor that didn't arrive with pins, none worked :( Into the office I go so :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭DakarVert

2 out my 3 done with online pins, Keep getting a time out error on the 3rd one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭shineon23

DakarVert wrote: »
    2 out my 3 done with online pins, Keep getting a time out error on the 3rd one.

All mine came without pins in the post, done it in 5 mins in the office today though.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭The Big Red Fella

Office in Dundalk will only deal with 3 items at one time they are a feckin pain in the ass sometimes !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭kdevitt

I've declared two cars off the road using the online functionality without problem. However, went to do it with the car I have on vintage tax and it said that its not possible to do it online.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭DakarVert

I keep getting this when I try it online?

Same on PC/Laptop and iPhone.

408 Request Time-out
    Your browser didn't send a complete request in time.

Advertisement