Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PULID S1 Smartphone MTK6577 Android 4.1 5.7 Inch HD Screen - €55 at Pandawill

• 10-06-2014 12:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭

Choose the free shipping airmail option and leave a note saying to value it at $25 to avoid customs charges.

Great spec for the price.

$74.99 works out at just over €55.00

It says its in stock.

http://www.pandawill.com/pulid-s1-smartphone-mtk6577-gps-android-41-57-inch-hd-screen-3g-white-p89247.html

Basic Information
    Model PULID S1
    Band 2G: GSM 850/900/1800/1900MHz
    3G: WCDMA 2100MHz
    Sim Card Dual SIM Card Dual Standby
    Service Provide Unlocked
    Style Bar
    Color White
    Shell Material Plastic

System
    OS Android 4.1.1
    CPU MTK6577, Cortex A9 dual core, 1.0GHz; GPU: SGX 531
    ROM 4GB
    RAM 1GB

Screen
    Display Size 5.7 Inch
    Type IPS, capacitive screen
    Resolution 1280 x 720 pixels

Support Format
    Ringtones Type Polyphonic/MP3
    Audio File Format MP3/WAV/AMR/AWB
    Video File Format 3GP/MPEG4
    Image File Format JPEG/BMP/GIF/PNG/GIF
    E-book Format TXT/CHM/DOC/HTML
    FM Radio Yes, earphone needed
    Earphone Port 3.5mm
    Card Extend Yes, support TF card up to 16GB

Data Transfer & Connectivity
    Data transfer USB/Bluetooth
    Mobile internet WAP/WiFi

General
    Camera/Picture Resolution Dual Cameras, 3.0MP front camera; 12.0MP back camera with flashlight and auto focus, up to 4000 x 3000 pixels, support panorama, face beauty, smile shot
    Language English, Bahasa Indonesia, Bahasa Melayu, Cestina, Deutsch, Espanol, French, Italiano, Magyar, Nederlands, Portuguese, Romana, Tagalog, Vietnamese, Turkish, Greek, Russian, Arabic, Thai, Simplified/Traditional Chinese
    Phonebook 500
    Message SMS/MMS
    Input Handwrite/Keypad
    TV No
    GPS Yes, built in, also support A-GPS
    With EPO assistance to speed up postioning
    JAVA No
    WIFI Yes, 802.11 b/g/n
    Bluetooth Yes
    Gravity Sensor Yes
    Multi-Touch Yes, 5 point touch
    Dimensions 156 x 84 x 9.72mm/6.14 x 3.31 x 0.38inch
    Net Weight(Including battery) 220g
    Standby Time About 2~3 days
    Other Feature 3G, WIFI, GPS, FM, Bluetooth, Ebook, Email, Messaging, Wallpapers, Calendar, Calculator, Clock, Camera, Tethering & portable hotspot, Play Store, etc

Package
    Size 170x 100 x 53mm/6.69 x 3.94 x 2.09inch
    Weight 477g
    Accessories 1 x 2500mAh Battery
    1 x USB Cable
    1 x Charger
    1 x Screen Protector
    1 x 3.5mm Earphone
    1 x User Manual(English-Russian-Spanish-German)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

Looks good for the money. Can't find a single review. Tempted though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭fdevine

Worth noting that no form of shipping will guarantee avoiding customs charges.

Free airmail shipping may reduce the chance of a phone being intercepted but you could be unlucky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

fdevine wrote: »
    Worth noting that no form of shipping will guarantee avoiding customs charges.

Free airmail shipping may reduce the chance of a phone being intercepted but you could be unlucky.

If you leave a note in the order notes box when paying, asking them to state value as $25 or so, they will do it. They say that in their Terms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭bidiots

Doesn't matter what value they put on it, if it gets through, its just luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 226 ✭✭chopsey

have to say i'm tempted

http://youtu.be/V41G6LzAdpk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 229 ✭✭ralphie

Is it any advantage to use Parcel Motel to try to avoid customs.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭A Greedy Algorithm

Looks juicy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

chopsey wrote: »
    have to say i'm tempted

http://youtu.be/V41G6LzAdpk

I think that's a different model. The box in the video says it's an F11, which is quad core. The S1 is dual core. I can't find a review for the S1 anywhere.
    ralphie wrote: »
    Is it any advantage to use Parcel Motel to try to avoid customs.

No. If there's a customs charge payable on a package sent to Parcel Motel they'll simply refuse to accept the package.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 855 ✭✭✭smokin ace

i am also very tempted but i cant find any reviews on performance

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1m1tless

cant go too wrong for 55 the only thing I would be worried about would be the battery. Would it be possible to get a branded battery to fit maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭leemaree

I wonder will we get this phone here in Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

If its stopped by customs it will be noted as counterfeit and you'll receive a letter to that effect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

If its stopped by customs it will be noted as counterfeit and you'll receive a letter to that effect.

Its not counterfeit - it's similarly styled to a Samsung, but it says "Pulid" on the back.

Spec is decent for the price - you should assume customs will stop it though and factor in an extra 23% + a few euro for handling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,612 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Counterfeit of what exactly? Its not making any claims to be a Samsung etc.

loyatemu wrote: »
    Its not counterfeit - it's similarly styled to a Samsung, but it says "Pulid" on the back.

Spec is decent for the price - you should assume customs will stop it though and factor in an extra 23% + a few euro for handling.
    MYOB wrote: »
    Counterfeit of what exactly? Its not making any claims to be a Samsung etc.

There was a thread on it already:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056885599

Sounds like one Revenue official has run away with themselves there, nothing more.

Its not a counterfeit of anything, pretty clearly. A "we're destroying this, deal with Samsung" letter would not be anywhere close to closing off whatever legal actions I'd take in that case.

Sounds like one Revenue official has run away with themselves there, nothing more.

Its not a counterfeit of anything, pretty clearly. A "we're destroying this, deal with Samsung" letter would not be anywhere close to closing off whatever legal actions I'd take in that case.

With Customs you don't really have any comeback.

Happens all the time, exact same situation here in the Netherlands with the Douane and in Germany with the Zoll.

Your opinion is that it's not a counterfeit of anything doesn't matter, the company in question just refers customs to the EPO filings and then Customs destroy it:

With Customs you don't really have any comeback.

You have quite extensive comeback with the appeals process in Ireland.

If they do manage to prove its a civil matter against Samsung I can't see Samsung having any truck at all with an SCC judge.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭A Greedy Algorithm

So its pointless to buy this phone as it will just be stopped by customs?

You have quite extensive comeback with the appeals process in Ireland.

If they do manage to prove its a civil matter against Samsung I can't see Samsung having any truck at all with an SCC judge.

Special Criminal Court ... really ... :rolleyes:

There is no come back .. if its as described in the EPO filing then it violates the patent and is destroyed.

With regard to anything Customs have more powers than the Gardai, e.g. seizing your car on the spot for suspected non compliance with VRT.
    So its pointless to buy this phone as it will just be stopped by customs?

It's just a gamble really ... it might or might not get through.

Might or might not be tagged for fees.

Might or might not be tagged as counterfeit.

Most if not all of these import Chinese phones violate one or more EPO patents.

• Advertisement

Special Criminal Court ... really ... :rolleyes:

There is no come back .. if its as described in the EPO filing then it violates the patent and is destroyed.

With regard to anything Customs have more powers than the Gardai, e.g. seizing your car on the spot for suspected non compliance with VRT.

So you don't understand the Customs appeal process then. Thought so.

So you don't understand the Customs appeal process then. Thought so.

Sure I do .. but the amount of time it would take over a 50 euro phone, even with my Legal Insurance taking care of it wouldn't be worth my while ;)

It's pretty much the same process as the Belastingdienst ... although the timescales for the appeal are shorter with them (since they auction stuff using the Domeinen Roerend Zaken

Sure I do .. but the amount of time it would take over a 50 euro phone, even with my Legal Insurance taking care of it wouldn't be worth my while ;)

The fact that you think the Special Criminal Court is the first line of recourse suggests otherwise.

The fact that you think the Special Criminal Court is the first line of recourse suggests otherwise.

No .. you just mentioned SCC Judge ... which is a Special Criminal Court Judge

Not as used ten times a day on this set of sub forums it doesn't.

You do have multiple lines of recourse in a situation like this. There is nothing further to be got from your arguing back and forth about it.

Not as used ten times a day on this set of sub forums it doesn't.

You do have multiple lines of recourse in a situation like this. There is nothing further to be got from your arguing back and forth about it.

Small Claims Court is not valid in this case, you have no contract with Samsung and the person you have a contract with (the Chinese company you paid) is outside of Ireland.

The European Small Claims procedure is not valid either since again they are not in the EU. Also the European Small Claims procedure is not valid for matters on customs.

Anybody go for this phone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 228 ✭✭mickotoole

I got one for my Mam. Only ordered it yesterday without seeing the customs related posts. Wasn't worried about getting hit for VAT but am slightly concerned about the items being destroyed.

Will update the thread when/if the item arrives.

Cool thanks, Im sure you will have no problems with customs.

• Advertisement

Cool thanks, Im sure you will have no problems with customs.

I hope you're right!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭pah

LOOOLZ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

I went for this yoke, not sure why, already have plenty of android gadgets and a smartphone, but its so cheap and the screen is so big its practically a tablet. My biggest concern is the battery life really, and if its possible to update android on it to something relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭roboshatner

Do post a comment anyone that does manage to get one...let us know how you got on.

I think I will order threw amazon I do end up getting one of there....least it cant be stopped by customs if its coming from the uk

It does look like a cool phone and if you could get one on amazing for 50 or 60...yeah go for it...looks deadly...

its a big boy in your hand but.

My ego would be writing cheques it cant cash,.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hayezer

If it doesnt get through customs do you get your money back?

• Advertisement

If customs get it which they check ever 3 packages...

they will and can add an extra cost on top of what you paid..

just so you can collect it.

If you order something within europe you will not get charged this.

Its a chance that I have taken once or twice...got caught only one but.

its worth a shot and i have to say its a bloody cool phone..

order it from amazon and if they have it in the uk you wont be charged

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B009PM8NG2/ref=dp_olp_new_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=new

shipped from spain and uk...so no customs charge sweet.......

But the only thing is the bigger the screen...the more the battery drain.

Just read this article online - http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/jun/18/chinese-smartphone-samsung-amazon-ebay-malware-google-play

Looks like lots of these phones have built in Malware so beware. I'm hoping to root and strip down the ROM when I get the phone which should mitigate against this kind of malware.

Anyway thought someone might be interested especially if you've pulled the trigger on this deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Underpaid Mike

Just for anyone interested I had one of these phones a while back. I paid $130 for it at the time. Looks identical to the samsung and the battery was decent. HOWEVER call quality was beyond appalling. Repeated reception issues and dropped calls while actual sound quality on the phone meant that I could only use it for txts for a finish and it sounded like I was 20 meters from the phone when I was talking.
    Could have just been a dud phone but said I would pass on my experience.

Just for anyone interested I had one of these phones a while back. I paid $130 for it at the time. Looks identical to the samsung and the battery was decent. HOWEVER call quality was beyond appalling. Repeated reception issues and dropped calls while actual sound quality on the phone meant that I could only use it for txts for a finish and it sounded like I was 20 meters from the phone when I was talking.

How was general performance ? Im more interested in it as a mini tablet tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Underpaid Mike

imitation wrote: »
    How was general performance ? Im more interested in it as a mini tablet tbh.

Worked well for everything else I just found the call quality awful.
    The wifi range isnt what you would get with a higher end phone but was more than adequate for browsing, netflix etc

Is the camera as bad as they say ?

like it say 8mp or 5mp and in fact it is not...its much lower

Just received this phone in the post today and my initial reactions are good. The UI is responsive and the build quality seems good. A lot better than I was expecting for €60.

Haven't had a chance to test call quality yet though as it uses a full size SIM and I don't have one for it.

Back camera is good and front facing camera is grand .... not excellent but definitely useable.

All in all a good bargain for the money. Thanks OP.

Now I just need to root it and wipe all the crappy pre-installed crapware on it.

mickotoole wrote: »
    Just received this phone in the post today and my initial reactions are good. The UI is responsive and the build quality seems good. A lot better than I was expecting for €60.

Haven't had a chance to test call quality yet though as it uses a full size SIM and I don't have one for it.

Back camera is good and front facing camera is grand .... not excellent but definitely useable.

All in all a good bargain for the money. Thanks OP.

Now I just need to root it and wipe all the crappy pre-installed crapware on it.

According to this thread in spanish http://m.forocoches.com/foro/showthread.php?t=3737091, a sms virus has been found, on the s1 so i would suggest a clean before you stick in a sim or setup your google accounts on it.

In case anyone else got one of these and wants to root the most effective and easy way to root it is to use MoboGenie.

Install it on your PC and hit the OneClick Root button, that's all you need to do to root it. Then you can use the Uninstall Stock Apps to get rid of the crapware.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Kencollins

I got this delivered today too for a family member. It seems OK for the money really, I wonder how long the battery will last.

Does anyone have any idea if a custom rom exists for these that would be stable?

That failing, how would I remove this possible SMS virus that may be on it...would it just be a matter of uninstalling all the crapware that came with it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Kencollins

Urgent request....could anyone who got this device and knows how to do a rom dump please let me know, my software is gone mental and PULID customer care does not exist!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

Kencollins wrote: »
    Urgent request....could anyone who got this device and knows how to do a rom dump please let me know, my software is gone mental and PULID customer care does not exist!

http://www.pulid.com/en/service

Kencollins wrote: »

I could probably help you out there. I assume that you've already done a factory reset on it right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 229 ✭✭ralphie

Has anybody got a case for this phone.I got one from Pandawill today and it is too small for the phone.

• Advertisement
Advertisement