Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PULID S1 Smartphone MTK6577 Android 4.1 5.7 Inch HD Screen - €55 at Pandawill

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭pah

No .. you just mentioned SCC Judge ... which is a Special Criminal Court Judge

LOOOLZ

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

I went for this yoke, not sure why, already have plenty of android gadgets and a smartphone, but its so cheap and the screen is so big its practically a tablet. My biggest concern is the battery life really, and if its possible to update android on it to something relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭roboshatner

Do post a comment anyone that does manage to get one...let us know how you got on.

I think I will order threw amazon I do end up getting one of there....least it cant be stopped by customs if its coming from the uk

It does look like a cool phone and if you could get one on amazing for 50 or 60...yeah go for it...looks deadly...

its a big boy in your hand but.

My ego would be writing cheques it cant cash,.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hayezer

If it doesnt get through customs do you get your money back?

• Advertisement

If customs get it which they check ever 3 packages...

they will and can add an extra cost on top of what you paid..

just so you can collect it.

If you order something within europe you will not get charged this.

Its a chance that I have taken once or twice...got caught only one but.

its worth a shot and i have to say its a bloody cool phone..

order it from amazon and if they have it in the uk you wont be charged

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B009PM8NG2/ref=dp_olp_new_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=new

shipped from spain and uk...so no customs charge sweet.......

But the only thing is the bigger the screen...the more the battery drain.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭mickotoole

Just read this article online - http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/jun/18/chinese-smartphone-samsung-amazon-ebay-malware-google-play

Looks like lots of these phones have built in Malware so beware. I'm hoping to root and strip down the ROM when I get the phone which should mitigate against this kind of malware.

Anyway thought someone might be interested especially if you've pulled the trigger on this deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Underpaid Mike

Just for anyone interested I had one of these phones a while back. I paid $130 for it at the time. Looks identical to the samsung and the battery was decent. HOWEVER call quality was beyond appalling. Repeated reception issues and dropped calls while actual sound quality on the phone meant that I could only use it for txts for a finish and it sounded like I was 20 meters from the phone when I was talking.
    Could have just been a dud phone but said I would pass on my experience.

Just for anyone interested I had one of these phones a while back. I paid $130 for it at the time. Looks identical to the samsung and the battery was decent. HOWEVER call quality was beyond appalling. Repeated reception issues and dropped calls while actual sound quality on the phone meant that I could only use it for txts for a finish and it sounded like I was 20 meters from the phone when I was talking.

How was general performance ? Im more interested in it as a mini tablet tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Underpaid Mike

imitation wrote: »
    How was general performance ? Im more interested in it as a mini tablet tbh.

Worked well for everything else I just found the call quality awful.
    The wifi range isnt what you would get with a higher end phone but was more than adequate for browsing, netflix etc

Is the camera as bad as they say ?

like it say 8mp or 5mp and in fact it is not...its much lower

Just received this phone in the post today and my initial reactions are good. The UI is responsive and the build quality seems good. A lot better than I was expecting for €60.

Haven't had a chance to test call quality yet though as it uses a full size SIM and I don't have one for it.

Back camera is good and front facing camera is grand .... not excellent but definitely useable.

All in all a good bargain for the money. Thanks OP.

Now I just need to root it and wipe all the crappy pre-installed crapware on it.

mickotoole wrote: »
    Just received this phone in the post today and my initial reactions are good. The UI is responsive and the build quality seems good. A lot better than I was expecting for €60.

Haven't had a chance to test call quality yet though as it uses a full size SIM and I don't have one for it.

Back camera is good and front facing camera is grand .... not excellent but definitely useable.

All in all a good bargain for the money. Thanks OP.

Now I just need to root it and wipe all the crappy pre-installed crapware on it.

According to this thread in spanish http://m.forocoches.com/foro/showthread.php?t=3737091, a sms virus has been found, on the s1 so i would suggest a clean before you stick in a sim or setup your google accounts on it.

In case anyone else got one of these and wants to root the most effective and easy way to root it is to use MoboGenie.

Install it on your PC and hit the OneClick Root button, that's all you need to do to root it. Then you can use the Uninstall Stock Apps to get rid of the crapware.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Kencollins

I got this delivered today too for a family member. It seems OK for the money really, I wonder how long the battery will last.

Does anyone have any idea if a custom rom exists for these that would be stable?

That failing, how would I remove this possible SMS virus that may be on it...would it just be a matter of uninstalling all the crapware that came with it?

Urgent request....could anyone who got this device and knows how to do a rom dump please let me know, my software is gone mental and PULID customer care does not exist!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

Kencollins wrote: »
    Urgent request....could anyone who got this device and knows how to do a rom dump please let me know, my software is gone mental and PULID customer care does not exist!

http://www.pulid.com/en/service

Kencollins wrote: »

I could probably help you out there. I assume that you've already done a factory reset on it right?

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭ralphie

Has anybody got a case for this phone.I got one from Pandawill today and it is too small for the phone.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1m1tless

how's the battery on this guys?

Can't comment, still waiting on my dad to pick it up from me. Will update when he calls me for tech support

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭wowzer

Ordered this on 13th June and still hasn't arrived. The tracking thing hasn't been updated since the 19th, for the guys who have already received it did the tracking update regularly? Should I be worried?

Nope, mine went like this .... 14th June - Received Item from Customer; 16th June - Item Despatched to IE ..... 3 weeks later, item arrived in IE

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭wowzer

mickotoole wrote: »
    Nope, mine went like this .... 14th June - Received Item from Customer; 16th June - Item Despatched to IE ..... 3 weeks later, item arrived in IE

Cheers Mick, I will just have to wait a bit longer so.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Never saw this thread before now but just a warning to anyone ordering, those dual core MTK processors give extremely poor GPS performance, basically unusable.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Thargor wrote: »
    Never saw this thread before now but just a warning to anyone ordering, those dual core MTK processors give extremely poor GPS performance, basically unusable.

I thought that issue was fixed in the later MTKs, i.e. 6582 onwards?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

It wasnt fixed on the quad cores and theres differing reports on the octacores, some provisional good reviews of the latest octas in the Chinese Android Phones thread but not a hope for any of the dual cores, its basically broken on them.

The GPS seems perfect on google maps with my one...not connected to any network for agps either. It picked up my location in a few seconds and kept it steady.

I didn't try moving with it on yet though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭ralphie

how's the battery on this guys?
    I gave this to the OH as a screen that size wouldn't last long in my pocket.
    After 3 hours constant browsing from full charge the battery was still showing 68% .It looks pretty good.I'm afraid I can't give a more scientific view than that.I bought the phone from Pandawill on the 15th of June and received it on the 4th of July.No Customs.

Advertisement