Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

After School Care

Options
  • 10-06-2014 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hi,

I've posted this in the Primary and Pre School forum but I think people in this forum would also have a lot to contribute.

I'm looking for as much information as possible on after school care programs i.e the type run by creches and other such facilities to look after primary school aged children between the hours when they finish school and when their parent(s) finish work.

What is the typical cost for programs like this (e.g one running between 2.30 and 5.30)?
    What sort of structure/environment is typical at these facilities?
    What else is included ( Food, School Pick up)?

What are the main things that a parent would look for in a good after school program?

Thanks for your help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭dockleaf

I can only tell you about the one our children go to.

They get picked up from school and stay at the creche/afterschool until we pick them up about 6 ish. Or if they have an after school activity the creche can also bring them to that or collect them from it. Eg they do camogie straight after school one day a week and the creche pick them up from that.

It costs 20 per child per day. They get a snack when they get to the creche and if we wanted they would provide a hot dinner. We prefer to eat together at home but we have availed of this occasionally.

They have homework supervision if you require or your children can do their homework at home if you prefer.

The main things I would look for:

1. Primary concern is safety of my children and therefore the reliability of the staff.
    2. Second would be how my children are treated- ie with kindness/friendliness.
    3. Flexibility of days/hours.

Anything else is an added extra. Where our children go, they often get little treats, a dvd if the homework is done, being able to play with children of all ages, even being able to 'help' with the babies which they love. The staff are very kind and friendly and very flexible. Main thing is my children are safe and happy, which makes me happy.:)

Advertisement