Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Blatter Calls Qatar World Cup Critics Racist

• 10-06-2014 1:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭

sorry if threads like this aren't allowed, I had a look through the charter and couldn't see anything about it

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/world-cup/10887846/Sepp-Blatter-hits-out-at-racist-British-media-and-plot-to-destroy-Fifa.html

Could he get anymore obnoxious? Firstly sweltering heat and possible severe disruption to fixtures schedules worldwide, then revelations migrant workers being so badly treated that 1000 die, and now corruption claims with regards to the bid process and his only defence is that the critics are "racist".

It is actually a sickening situation, anyone with any conscience would have resigned by now.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

How did he get where he is today is beyond me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

There's so many brown envolopes running through FIFA's head office that 50 postal workers showed up there thinking it was their new building...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,538 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Augmerson wrote: »

bribery, obviously.

Sepp has good reason to complain about racism seeing how well FIFA deal with the issue over the years.......

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Augmerson wrote: »

Not really. There's no limits how far one can get in a vile, corrupt organization like FIFA once you know who to bribe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

They have to keep revoting him in and/or replace him with like for like. If he gets found out it will be a domino effect through the whole organisation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

He's playing the votes game. He's labeling the British media as racist which is a convenient thing to do as he's courting the African, Asian and Concacaf votes for the next elections that are coming up soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭patmac

Don't get all this hate for Blatter myself, running a great Corporation like FIFA takes some doing and when allegations of corruption are made he hires his own detectives to investigate, decent lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

patmac wrote: »
    Don't get all this hate for Blatter myself, running a great Corporation like FIFA takes some doing and when allegations of corruption are made he hires his own detectives to investigate, decent lad.

sarcasm_detector.preview.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

He should take responsibility for Qatar getting the World Cup and resign. Whoever voted for them should be removed from their position too. You can't play soccer matches in 40 degree heat, you just can't. How many poor Indian lads will die building stadiums in the desert ffs!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

He should take responsibility for Qatar getting the World Cup and resign. Whoever voted for them should be removed from their position too. You can't play soccer matches in 40 degree heat, you just can't. How many poor Indian lads will die building stadiums in the desert ffs!

Blatter resign?

Neck, bollocks and jockey springs to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Capajoma

Blatter voted for the US not Qatar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

Capajoma wrote: »
    Blatter voted for the US not Qatar.

Smokescreen!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

I think the sponsors' recent expression of concern following the bribery revelations is more likely to be the culmination of all the negative sentiment surrounding this world cup and how it will affect their brands rather than an issue with this specific allegation. I'd even go as far as suggesting that the leaking of such a mass of documents may have been by someone or some group within FIFA with an agenda other than that of the traditional whistleblower with ethical concerns. For example, how the fup are Budweiser supposed to come up with a marketing campaign based around a country where booze is effectively outlawed and are Sony expected to hand over cash towards a competition held in a country where half their films are banned? Would Coca Cola or McDonalds with their upbeat all-American branding want to be associated with fundamentalist Islam? Would any of FIFA's partners want to be associated with something which is already a byword for death, exploitation and corruption? I just can't see this going ahead.

BTW, Doha experienced highs of 47° today cool.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

How many poor Indian lads will die building stadiums in the desert ffs!

i believe that the current figure in qatar is around 1 a day.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

It is a common tactic. When discussing immigration for example or abortion or gay rights, it is easier to shout racism, chauvinist or homophobe than actually address the argument being made. That is exactly what Blatter is doing here. Noone wants to be seen as a racist so he is hoping that branding them as so will quieten them down a bit.
    Racism my arse. The world and their mother know Qatar is not suitable as a world cup destination. Taking the heat aside they have a tiny population (less than half the size of Ireland) and no domestic football league to speak off. Building World Cup stadia in Qatar is a complete waste of resources. It would be the equivalent of building 12 Lansdowne Roads in Ireland. An absolutely ludicrous decision. Now were they to co host with other nations then that would change things and we would just need to worry about the heat and the thousands that will die during the building phase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    It is a common tactic. When discussing immigration for example or abortion or gay rights, it is easier to shout racism, chauvinist or homophobe than actually address the argument being made. That is exactly what Blatter is doing here. Noone wants to be seen as a racist so he is hoping that branding them as so will quieten them down a bit.
    Racism my arse. The world and their mother know Qatar is not suitable as a world cup destination. Taking the heat aside they have a tiny population (less than half the size of Ireland) and no domestic football league to speak off. Building World Cup stadia in Qatar is a complete waste of resources. It would be the equivalent of building 12 Lansdowne Roads in Ireland. An absolutely ludicrous decision. Now were they to co host with other nations then that would change things and we would just need to worry about the heat and the thousands that will die during the building phase.

You would think give the backlash over Qatar being unsuitable and the war moving to a winter world cup would cause, FIFA would only be too delighted to have it 'forced' out of there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,538 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

paulbok wrote: »
    You would think give the backlash over Qatar being unsuitable and the war moving to a winter world cup would cause, FIFA would only be too delighted to have it 'forced' out of there.

...which would then leave them open to lawsuits from Qatar and the companies involved in the multiple projects underway.

Their greed has put them in a quandary - Plough on regardless with having it in Qatar either in Winter and/or with a charm offensive to sponsors and the rest of the world, or pull out and risk bankrupting themselves?

It would speed up their demise & be absolutely hilarious if the European teams started withdrawing from Fifa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Im so sorry for being racist Mr.Blatter.

I should start saying nice things about Qatar.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Sky Sources: F.A. director #DavidGill walks out of FIFA meeting in Sao Paulo & says Sepp Blatter should stand down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,979 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

YayaBanana wrote: »
    Sky Sources: F.A. director #DavidGill walks out of FIFA meeting in Sao Paulo & says Sepp Blatter should stand down
    Wow, that is a huge play by Gill and fair play to him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

retalivity wrote: »
    ...which would then leave them open to lawsuits from Qatar and the companies involved in the multiple projects underway.

Their greed has put them in a quandary - Plough on regardless with having it in Qatar either in Winter and/or with a charm offensive to sponsors and the rest of the world, or pull out and risk bankrupting themselves?

What I was getting at in my post is that FIFA badly needs an easy way out from this situation and the bribery is perfect because it's Qatar itself and rogue officials (rather than FIFA as a whole) who are the guilty parties-the contracts probably allow them to cancel without penalty in the event of criminality. That said, I've no doubt Blatter got his end from the process while managing to maintain his distance by voting for a rival bid-if it was split evenly with Australia would he have still gone that way? He and Platini would be getting keys to safe-deposit boxes in Zurich while the small guys get the envelopes stuffed with cash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

2f3c66a4f2bc94a269cd1b777a3afd7b.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

retalivity wrote: »

Part of the Bid process is you cant sue FIFA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭patmac

YayaBanana wrote: »

Will Delaney or anyone else follow him, as often quoted before in the Beautiful game 'do Turkey's vote for Christmas'? Fair play to Gill, England to be banned from all competitions?

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

A month ago Blatter admitted that awarding the finals to Qatar was a mistake. Now anyone who criticises it is a racist? Next month Blatter demonstrates how black is actually white, water isn't wet and how FIFA is a benevolent, non-profit organisation who are only interested in promoting the beautiful game and world peace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Sepp should really have his own thread by now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Blatter resigning won't go far enough IMO.

FIFA are a despicable organisation who care little for the game or it's fans. Only the cash cow that is the WC.
    For Sepp Blatter, the World Cup is his wedding day. TV rights and marketing deals between them look likely to raise around $4bn (£2.4bn) for the football regulator, up from the $3.7bn it collected for the 2010 tournament in South Africa
    According to estimates, South Africa shelled out about $3.9 billion on the 2010 games, including $1.3 billion in stadium construction costs alone.

....the country spent a whopping $13,000 per visitor, the paper said.

To top it all off, Blatter is a blundering buffoon of a man. Remember what he said about women's football? That they should wear more skimpy shorts - this is what he reduced women's football to. For the good of the game indeed.

And now shouting about racism? For the good of his pockets. I'd doubt Blatter would be able to explain the offside rule, how the man is in the position he is in the 21st century is baffling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Prob posted already but below video is spot on about Fifa :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

Mr Blatter throwing the race card then.

This is the same Mr Blatter who claimed racial abuse on a football field should be settled with a handshake.
    The same Mr Blatter who joked that homosexuals should go to Qatar and just not act gay.
    The same Mr Blatter who compared £185,000 per week earning Cristiano Ronaldo to a slave.
    The same Mr Blatter who suggested women footballers should wear tighter shorts to boost the profile of the game.

This man is in absolutely no position to give anyone guidelines on moral integrety.

I wouldn't let this clown run the raffle, to think he is the head of the game of the world makes my brain hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Sepp should really have his own thread by now

There's a "dumb criminals" thread around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I can't stand Blatter and thought it was outrageous that no one stood with the English FA when they tried to call him and FIFA on this straight after the Qatar decision was announced. But the slight irony here is that it appears that the UEFA nations are beginning to position Platini to rival Blatter on the back of the Qatar debacle when Platini is the standard-bearer for the Qatari bid.

Personally I think Platini is almost as bad as Blatter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

No one who is fit to run FIFA will ever be allowed to run FIFA.

Beefy78 wrote: »
    I can't stand Blatter and thought it was outrageous that no one stood with the English FA when they tried to call him and FIFA on this straight after the Qatar decision was announced. But the slight irony here is that it appears that the UEFA nations are beginning to position Platini to rival Blatter on the back of the Qatar debacle when Platini is the standard-bearer for the Qatari bid.

Personally I think Platini is almost as bad as Blatter.

van Praag, the president of the Dutch FA did call for Blatter not to go for election next year too so the English FA weren't the only ones standing up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I meant two years ago.

Yeah the Dutch guy was scathing this time around.

EDIT - just realised it was 2010 when those tournaments were announced. Doesn't time fly?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Does it require a vote for him to be elected again? How does he get the vote each time?
    Corruption at its very most.

Does it require a vote for him to be elected again? How does he get the vote each time?
    Corruption at its very most.

Nobody ever runs against him so he is the only candidate. It's a sham, and a farce... and a sham!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭blingrhino

the fai are been very quiet about this?

what has delayney got to say?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Hotale.com

blingrhino wrote: »
    the fai are been very quiet about this?

what has delayney got to say?

Delaney's not much better than Blatter ffs...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

@seppblater

"Yesterday Shimon Peres stepped down as President of Israel. I found him to be a wise man who worked hard for peace. "

Why is he trying to stir up s*** over politics?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Part of the Bid process is you cant sue FIFA.

I'm not sure that'd stand up.

Advertisement