Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hero dad charged with murder

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,640 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Something seems to have set him off...he'd known about it for years. Tried to kill someone else too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Why is he a hero?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Why did he shoot his daughter's current boyfriend? I can understand the rage towards the kiddyfiddler, but the boyfriend?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Hero?

Really?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

I have kids so I'm not going to completely condemn him but he's not a hero.

It's just a sad situation overall.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I read the headline knew it would be a Daily Mail link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Why shoot his daughters boyfriend? Nothing heroic about killing anyone regardless of who they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Never mind the article - the comments are seething with righteous indignation, calling for the killer to be awarded a medal.

This one, however:
    Its more important to be their for your child if you are in prison you cant help them

- gets a hefty thumbs down from the mob.

It's also unclear if some DM readers have grasped the complexity of the US justice system, like this guy (29 "likes" so far, zero "dislikes")
    As a father to three young ladies of 10, 5, and 1 yr old, I volunteer to do the first year in jail for him if he gets any jail time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Given that he tried to kill someone else too I'm not sure he'll get much sympathy. They're not big fans of people who go on shooting rampages over there at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

He's been charged with murder because of all the murder he did.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭snaphook

Beat him up if he likes.

But shooting?

"Coward Dad" more apt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭jellyboy

Two wrongs don't make a right ….

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

A lot of them seem to think he acted on the spur of the moment, which he didn't.

It appears that he waited for a number of years before carrying out the murder. So the below comment, among many, is a little off.
    Now try to find a jury to convict him. Good luck.

Seems like premeditated murder to me.

There's a lot of this crap too.
    I think most decent fathers would do the same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

I didn't actually read the article at all.

Knex. wrote: »
    A lot of them seem to think he acted on the spur of the moment, which he didn't.

It appears that he waited for a number of years before carrying out the murder. So the below comment, among many, is a little off.

Seems like premeditated murder to me.

There's a lot of this crap too.

To be honest, it comes across more as a psychotic episode. Possibly the boyfriend did something to his daughter (not necessarily bad, just something that ticked off the dad who had a history of violence). The dad snaps, takes a few shots at the boyfriend and then remembers the man who hurt his daughter the most and guns him down. Pure conjecture on my part, but that's the kind of thing that it seems like to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭desultory

humanji wrote: »
    Why is he a hero?

For killing a paedophile I'd guess.

Edit: and for future questioning yes I do believe paedophilia is much much worse than the murder of said paedophilles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

It's premeditated murder no doubt but your man got what was coming to him.

desultory wrote: »

Edit: and for future questioning yes I do believe paedophilia is much much worse than the murder of said paedophilles.
    I'd probably be of the same mindset (hopefully never have to fully decide). I was just confused by the hero part. I was wondering if there was more to the story like the guy was a war vet, or had saved the daughter the first time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Very sad situation. The girl will lose her dad to prison. I actually think he should be let off. I can't even begin to understand the anger he felt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Hitchens wrote: »

he was a witness against the victim years earlier, in the case, and waited all these yrs to take out his revenge,
    also i am wondering why he went after his step daughters boyfriend also,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

As a parent I can understand his anger however as an abuse survivor I can also understand that for his daughter this action does little to help her recovery and possibly will set her back now her father is possibly going to go to jail.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Murder is wrong, whether carried out by the individual or the state. It cannot be justified. Ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

buck65 wrote: »

Same. I'd like to be involved in this discussion, but there is some strange repulsive force being given off by the link which won't allow my finger to click it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,844 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

buck65 wrote: »

I never read articles on the daily mail mainly because i get distracted by the pictures and any more words get in the way of my outrage after reading the headline usually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭solomafioso

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

If you shoot someone in America you're a hero.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Yeah he shot at his daughter's boyfriend too. He seems like a crazy man. Killing the molester I understand. I can only imagine how much hate and anger you would have towards someone like that.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Guy seems to have shot at his daughter's current boyfriend, then, realising he was a bit ****ed, decided he might as well kill the kiddy fiddler. Hung for a lamb etc. Crime of opportunity, it looks like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

There is no crime worse than murder, not even paedophilia.

A rape victim can recover in time, a paedophilia victim can recover, these people can (and many do) go on to live normal lives thereafter. There may be distress and there may be long-term psychological issues but you're still alive and it's a life that in many cases will be well lived. A murder victim has no chance at recovery.

Lock said paedophile up and throw away the key if you like, but killing him is still murder regardless of what he has done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,812 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Go away with your hero nonsense. He's a murderer regardless of who he killed and he shot at his step daughters boyfriend.

He won't be much good to her in prison. Some hero for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Maphisto

Calling the father a hero reminds me of that episode of the Sopranos where the coach is sleeping with one of Meadow Soprano's team mates.

Sorry if you're not familiar with the series this must seem like the most tiresome post ever.

Anyway Tony Soprano is all set to kill this guy. The Director manipulated the audience in such a way that we were all cheering for Soprano. It's only afterwards you think Huh! I'm cheering for the murderer, extortionist, loan shark ... against a teacher who had a consensual relationship with a pupil (not the greatest of people no doubt but ...)

aidan24326 wrote: »

A rape victim can recover in time, a paedophilia victim can recover, these people can (and many do) go on to live normal lives thereafter. There may be distress and there may be long-term psychological issues but you're still alive and it's a life that in many cases will be well lived. A murder victim has no chance at recovery.

Lock said paedophile up and throw away the key if you like, but killing him is still murder regardless of what he has done.

I don't really care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

Look like he shot the elderly love child of Santa and Lotso from toy story 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I don't really care.

About which bit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,182 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Just murder

The sex offender was tried and convicted and carried out his sentence

• Advertisement

kowloon wrote: »
    About which bit?

Saying that murdering a paedophile is worse than paedophilia.
    I don't believe it is and I really don't care what anyone else has to say on the matter.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

He tried to kill an innocent person too. He's anything but a hero.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,442 ✭✭✭Riddle101

As far as the pedophile goes, I suppose a lot of people would do the same if it was their daughter who was molested, I certainly would. But the other part about the guy shooting at his step-daughter's boyfriend who is innocent is not so admirable.

He's not a hero though, nor would he be even if he just killed the pedophile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Man In The Nip

I wouldn't call him a hero simply because he also shot at his daughter's boyfriend. Seems to have a few issues.

However, I don't buy into the whole emotive use of 'murder' followed by 'end of', like it's somehow taboo to suggest that there are members of society out there who would be better off to the rest of society, if they ..... well .... just didn't exist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭Muise...

Do you think he'll get Matthew McConnaghey as his lawyer?

• Advertisement

Would you like to provide a little personal input into the topic? Because if you're going to use the site as a news dump, we're going to have to put a stop to it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

I wouldn't call him a hero simply because he also shot at his daughter's boyfriend. Seems to have a few issues.

However, I don't buy into the whole emotive use of 'murder' followed by 'end of', like it's somehow taboo to suggest that there are members of society out there who would be better off to the rest of society, if they ..... well .... just didn't exist.

You mean murder, then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

aidan24326 wrote: »

Have to disagree with you there. If you had the option of letting two people out of jail would you let out a rapist or a guy who shot a rapist? Murderers can have good reason, such as the protection of family, whereas rapists and pedophiles have no excuse.

Have to disagree with you there. If you had the option of letting two people out of jail would you let out a rapist or a guy who shot a rapist? Murderers can have good reason, such as the protection of family, whereas rapists and pedophiles have no excuse.

Good post Little CuChulainn, and if this thread was about that it would be bang on the money. Unfortunately the facts seem to have intervened.

If the guy killed the rapist/kiddy fiddler in hot blood I'd hold a parade for you, but 13 years later and then have a pop at someone else who has pissed on his chips? He is no better, and probably worse than any other criminal.

Like alot of things though the devil is in the detail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

Maphisto wrote: »
    Good post Little CuChulainn, and if this thread was about that it would be bang on the money. Unfortunately the facts seem to have intervened.

If the guy killed the rapist/kiddy fiddler in hot blood I'd hold a parade for you, but 13 years later and then have a pop at someone else who has pissed on his chips? He is no better, and probably worse than any other criminal.

I was merely responding to the poster who said murder is worse than rape.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭Hitchens

Maphisto wrote: »

what in your opinion is the time limit meant to be on a baxtard that raped your 7 year old child?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭Muise...

what in your opinion is the time limit meant to be on a baxtard that raped your 7 year old child?

The time he spent in jail, maybe?

I was merely responding to the poster who said murder is worse than rape.

The devil is in the detail.

For the crime (because lets be clear) to count as "hot blood"? Unless there are extenuating circumstances I'd say no more than 24 hours!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭abff

Unless I'm missing something, the word hero doesn't actually appear anywhere in the Daily Mail article. It seems to have been inserted by the OP. How the word hero can be applied to the father under any interpretation of the word is totally beyond me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement