Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storage method for consoles and potentially games

Options
  • 10-06-2014 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

What better place to come for advice, everyone needs to store their consoles somewhere, and their games, so why not ask the masses!

At present I have a really basic table. It was in a room in the new house I'm renting so I basically have a PS3, PS4 and laptop sitting on it. It's a very basic wooden table with metal legs.

The problem is it takes up SO much room, just to have three items sitting on top of it.

My main PC desk sits to the left with my two monitors, and I like the setup. To the left again is like a little alcove to the side of the wardrobe. There is one shelf that is VERY deep, and I just have all my games stacked there.

So I'm looking for something a little more flashy and better with space, but keeping the price somewhat down.

I'm probably going to remove the shelf in the alcove and put in some form of bookcase from IKEA, Billy sounds like a decent shout or Beno which is a little smaller and will house my games.

I might also go with a shelving option. I'd like to utilise the "ground" space there with something to house my consoles. It's just a PS3 and PS4, but an Xbox sometimes makes an appearance. I'd also like to put a laptop in it aswell, a laptop I frequently have running 24/7.

Having some ventilation is a requirement, as the laptop runs seriously hot :O

Anyway would love to see some suggestions and ideas. I'll put up some pics of the room and what I'm working with, but I keep hearing IKEA does stuff that works wonder for gaming storage.

Would love to see some pics and hear some options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

SSD... wait... what?

I jest. Ikea Expedit is what I rock in my man cave

expedit-tv-storage-unit__0132315_PE287096_S4.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Here is a pic, desk on the right is what I want rid off.

IMG_20140306_235835.jpg

Just to clarify there is no TV to be factored in here. It's pure storage, somewhere to put them. I hook up my consoles via a HDMI controller and it feeds into one of my PC monitors.

I see IKEA have a thing that is small enough, four square compartments. Something along those lines, but very much open to all ideas.

COYVB wrote: »
    SSD... wait... what?

I jest. Ikea Expedit is what I rock in my man cave

expedit-tv-storage-unit__0132315_PE287096_S4.JPG

way to big I'm afraid, this is for the PC room, so no TV to factor in. I'm trying to be optimal with space :)

I really need to get a pic of the alcove for this to make sense :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

I use the cabinet of this set to hold a ps4 one and a wii U upright http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Search/searchTerm/soho+cabinet.htm

It wont cover the laptop issue but it does allow me to stack consoles and has decent ventilation for little cost

• Advertisement

TheDoc wrote: »
    Just to clarify there is no TV to be factored in here. It's pure storage, somewhere to put them. I hook up my consoles via a HDMI controller and it feeds into one of my PC monitors.

I see IKEA have a thing that is small enough, four square compartments. Something along those lines, but very much open to all ideas.

this one? kallax-shelving-unit__0243973_PE383238_S4.JPG

That'll definitely do a job

this one? kallax-shelving-unit__0243973_PE383238_S4.JPG

That'll definitely do a job

That's one option alright, I think there is another version thats like a square, and has four square compartments in it.

But the Kallax has looked very appealing so far. Should handle my two consoles and laptops and still have some breathing room. I like the backless design so I can feed cables easily out of it and down through the back.

this is the Kallax one I'd initially flagged

kallax-shelving-unit__0243998_PE383248_S4.JPG

And was going to match it with a Benno to store games

benno-dvd-tower__31261_PE120477_S4.JPG

I've a load of Bennos for game storage and they're very handy, but just be warned they aren't quite as good a fit for mixed box sizes as you'd hope - and they don't really work for a full unit of Blu-ray sized boxes. It's a minor enough thing, but if you're anal it might irk

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

kallax-shelving-unit__0243998_PE383248_S4.JPG

Go with this. I have it's bigger brother (4 across top & bottom) in my sitting room. Console fits in nicely, plenty of cable routing options and extension leads etc can screw right into the walls on them very quickly.

I've a load of Bennos for game storage and they're very handy, but just be warned they aren't quite as good a fit for mixed box sizes as you'd hope - and they don't really work for a full unit of Blu-ray sized boxes. It's a minor enough thing, but if you're anal it might irk

My games are mostly all the universal DVD boxes for the likes of Xbox, Ps3 and PC. New PS4 boxes are different, any idea how they fare?

I have a rake of "old" PC game boxes, but can put them in a drawer or something.

I was checking measurements there, looks like PS3 + PS4 would fit nicely into the Kallax systems. Not sure on the laptop though. Would definitely be able to "sit" on top of the square one.

If only Raspberry pi's worked for downloading files :'( The only reason I have this laptop is for doing that haha

• Advertisement

PS4 and Xbox One boxes are the same size as Blu-ray and PS3 boxes. If you're filling a Benno with them you'll have 1 shelf where things barely fit, and 2 that are way too big because there's a fixed shelf right in the middle you can't change the size of

PS4 and Xbox One boxes are the same size as Blu-ray and PS3 boxes. If you're filling a Benno with them you'll have 1 shelf where things barely fit, and 2 that are way too big because there's a fixed shelf right in the middle you can't change the size of

How many shelves do they come with as standard?

I've a billy bookcase I use for DVD storage downstairs and I think I know where you are coming from. Although can't I get more shelves to give me more space?

If its anything like the Billy models, you can fully adjust the shelves so I should have plenty of room no?

Vikings wrote: »
    Go with this. I have it's bigger brother (4 across top & bottom) in my sitting room. Console fits in nicely, plenty of cable routing options and extension leads etc can screw right into the walls on them very quickly.

Yeah having no back on it makes it look easy to have cables fall out of. I'll be moving all this to the left side of my main PC desk, and moving my PC desk more central against the wall.

So I was planning on taking that bad boy and putting it down in the alcove, so I can just swing over and open the trays etc.

I've got extensions leads all around the room, so only restriction is HDMI length, although have that covered in spades :D

It's a nice looking unit for a REALLY enticing price. Laptop could just sit on top of it with the consoles in the slots.

How many shelves do they come with as standard?

I've a billy bookcase I use for DVD storage downstairs and I think I know where you are coming from. Although can't I get more shelves to give me more space?

If its anything like the Billy models, you can fully adjust the shelves so I should have plenty of room no?

You can adjust every shelf apart from the one bang smack in the middle - but that's the trouble maker. I THINK you get about 8 shelves of blu-rays in a fully stocked one, but with the aforementioned awkwardness on a couple of them. It's not the end of the world or anything, I'm just very picky about things being symmetrical :P

You can adjust every shelf apart from the one bang smack in the middle - but that's the trouble maker. I THINK you get about 8 shelves of blu-rays in a fully stocked one, but with the aforementioned awkwardness on a couple of them. It's not the end of the world or anything, I'm just very picky about things being symmetrical :P

So it comes with eight shelves, or like the Billy set does it only come with like 3 and you need to buy additional ones?

Picture looks like it comes with plenty of shelves. To be honest looks like it will match my needs

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭sw33t_r3v3ng3

You should try get a corner desk. There extremely handy as you have plenty room under them, while keeping all the consoles etc. on top!

So it comes with eight shelves, or like the Billy set does it only come with like 3 and you need to buy additional ones?

Picture looks like it comes with plenty of shelves. To be honest looks like it will match my needs

I think it actually comes with 10 of the shelves and you slot them in wherever you like (it's made for CDs too). Very easy to change the shelf arrangement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭recyclops

i have two of these i have removed the middle bit on the top shelf for more space

recyclops wrote: »
    i have two of these i have removed the middle bit on the top shelf for more space

Was just thinking are those slots removable.

If the consoles fit in the squares as is all well and good, but might remove the splitters, to give a bit more space.

Anyway going to fly out to IKEA this evening, take some measurements at home then see them in the flesh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

And get some meatballs, right?

• Advertisement

And get some meatballs, right?

I've never eaten in there funny enough, always seems too packed. And the menu looks ****e :(

Was just thinking are those slots removable.

If the consoles fit in the squares as is all well and good, but might remove the splitters, to give a bit more space.

Anyway going to fly out to IKEA this evening, take some measurements at home then see them in the flesh

yep they are removeable at the moment i have two of em side by side, got these boxes to put in controllers etc
    http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/catalog/products/10247138/#/10222581

so in total i have 4 cubes and 2 rectangles for consoles and tv boxes

my worry was fitting in consoles snuggly could leave to over heating

thats a nifty idea with the box to put in controllers and cables etc , nice one.

What consoles do you have? Wondering if I could fit my PS4 and PS3 all on the top row.

I'm thinking one unit should be enough to handle what I want, looking at the measurements I "think" my Ps4 and Ps3 will fit in a slot each, then can get two of those boxes for accesories and cables.

thats a nifty idea with the box to put in controllers and cables etc , nice one.

What consoles do you have? Wondering if I could fit my PS4 and PS3 all on the top row.

I'm thinking one unit should be enough to handle what I want, looking at the measurements I "think" my Ps4 and Ps3 will fit in a slot each, then can get two of those boxes for accesories and cables.

mine at the moment has the xbox one and xbox 360 standing on its side in one rectangle and a ps2 and sky box in the other

Well after a somewhat longer then expected IKEA trip, ended up with the Benno DVD tower, Kallax four square storage and two boses. Will post pics when done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

This is mine. Handy enough

YGzqhzu.jpg

Advertisement