Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driver Licence Fraud?

• 10-06-2014 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi,

I applied for a job online as a driver. There is absolutely no trace of the company online, despite being a limited company i would have thought they would show up on the CRO? But i cannot find any trace of them.

The job was apparently to hop on a train to Cork and pick up a car. The only thing I was asked for (not even a CV, or fill out an application form) was my name, address, DOB, and driver licence number.

It all sounded a bit dodgy to me, they said they pay in cash every two days, but the feeling i got off the guy on the phone was very strange, when I put it to him there is no trace of his company anywhere online, his response was "Yeah we wouldnt be online at all really"

Does this sound a bit suspicious or is it just me? Is there any potential fraud these lads could be committing with my information, driver licence no etc..

Also, apologies if this is posted in the wrong place.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 109 ✭✭Skybox

Are you sure it was a Limited Company and not just a trading name? Unless the company is brand new (there may be a lag with updating the CRO website), it's details should be on the CRO website.

Sounds very suspect that they have not requested your PPS number. From a fraud point of view, they could be doing forged driver's licenses, that being all the personal info that would be on your license.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 midDom

I was just going by the name of the company, which had ltd at the end. I didn't get any impression that it was a start up company. They have no email, website, didn't disclose where their premises where, I was just supposed to meet him in town, after i had text him my details, which i obviously didnt do.

It could be legitimate but it really didnt seem like it, I was just wondering is anyone aware of any current scams like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 109 ✭✭Skybox

haven't heard anything to be honest. Want to PM me Company Name?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Recondite49

midDom wrote: »
    Hi,

I applied for a job online as a driver. There is absolutely no trace of the company online, despite being a limited company i would have thought they would show up on the CRO? But i cannot find any trace of them.

The job was apparently to hop on a train to Cork and pick up a car. The only thing I was asked for (not even a CV, or fill out an application form) was my name, address, DOB, and driver licence number.

It all sounded a bit dodgy to me, they said they pay in cash every two days, but the feeling i got off the guy on the phone was very strange, when I put it to him there is no trace of his company anywhere online, his response was "Yeah we wouldnt be online at all really"

Does this sound a bit suspicious or is it just me? Is there any potential fraud these lads could be committing with my information, driver licence no etc..

Also, apologies if this is posted in the wrong place.

Cheers

Hi MidDom,

I think you're right to be suspicious. I can think of a few legitimate reasons why a company would need a car moved but none to trust a complete stranger - if you were running a company would you advertise in this way or ask a trusted friend or colleague to collect the car for you?

I don't think it's wrong to ask questions, especially as this could be a thinly veiled ID fraud scheme or possibly there's something illegal inside the car itself and they're looking for some poor dupe to act as courier.

Out of interest did you try googling the number on which they guy called you? Was it from a mobile or withheld number?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,436 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Could be one of those car purchasing frauds.
    He gives you envelope with fake draft. You pick up car that he had agreed to 'buy' often on a Friday evening.
    He then advertises car cheap for cash over the weekend and spins a tale to Innocent buyer about getting his assistant to bring the car round and offers your details to the buyer as his assistant.
    Buyer hands over a ball of cash.
    You deliver cash to your 'employer' and get paid in cash.
    Monday morning. Original draft bounces and as soon as car is registered in final Innocent guys name, car is found and returned to first owner. Your employer is gone with the cash and final guy gets neither car nor cash while you are the only person involved that can be investigated.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Recondite49

mickdw wrote: »
    Could be one of those car purchasing frauds.
    He gives you envelope with fake draft. You pick up car that he had agreed to 'buy' often on a Friday evening.
    He then advertises car cheap for cash over the weekend and spins a tale to Innocent buyer about getting his assistant to bring the car round and offers your details to the buyer as his assistant.
    Buyer hands over a ball of cash.
    You deliver cash to your 'employer' and get paid in cash.
    Monday morning. Original draft bounces and as soon as car is registered in final Innocent guys name, car is found and returned to first owner. Your employer is gone with the cash and final guy gets neither car nor cash while you are the only person involved that can be investigated.

I think you have it Mick.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 midDom

Cheers lads, yeah it sounds really dodgy alright. I googled the number, it was just a mobile number and nothing came up.
    Mick you could be right, it sounds way too dodgy to be an actual job anyway, and this position was advertised on ten different job sites. So i reckon theres a lot of people who have gone for it, even if it was just to get their details, licence number etc..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Impetus

It is no different to the "verified by Visa" (and MC equivalent) as used by the two main Irish banks. You search the net for something you want, and come across the Apple iPhone 5 unlocked for EUR 100.00. You enter your (too good to be true) order and arrive at the verified by Visa page. (They already have your card number, expiry date and CVV2 code, as well as your name and address, email address, etc from the order form).

The verified by Visa page is not hosted by AIB or BoI with their browser certificates (neither bank have their security certificates on the verification pages because they have chosen to outsource them (outside of the EU, probably illegally). The fraudster's site passes you to a verified by Visa/MC page (complete with your bank's logo (stolen from that bank's website, using the prefix of the card number to determine which bank is involved). They then present some security questions - any questions they like to complete their ID theft file on you.

For example it might include your PPSN, DoB, dog's name (or similar), (giving you a dropdown of typical choices to disclose your "standard answer"), place of birth, date of birth. I suspect many people would even supply their email password if asked "for security purposes".....

Bingo - they have everything they need on you. No phone arrives, and the charges from far away places (especially those than don't use EMV cards) mount up until your payment or credit limit is exhausted. Especially worrisome if you give them a Visa debit card number and they clean out your current account.

The Irish banks should, like most other European banks, do verification by Visa etc in-house displaying the bank's own browser security certificate. Else they are grossly negligent. And any bank regulator that permits this to continue should be fired. Period.

Advertisement