Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some advice regarding commuting to Dublin.

Options
  • 10-06-2014 2:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I am soon moving up to Dublin to work. I have a house sorted in Drumcondra and was looking for some advice. I am considering two jobs - one in Mulhuddart, one on Harcourt St.

I've tried googling this and looking for answers elsewhere but I was just wondering if anyone could tell me what the commute would be like from Drumcondra to these two places? I have no car, so it would seem like I'd need to get the #38 bus to Mulhuddart which takes, I believe roughly 45mins in the morning - while I could probably walk into Harcourt St. in the same time.

Am I correct in saying this? Any help/advice would be extremely appreciated.

Thanks a lot :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,321 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

No idea about Mulhuddart but the 16 goes through Drumcondra and up Camden St. (parallel to Harcourt St). The 11 would leave you close to St. Stephen's Green, also not far from Harcourt St.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Jeebus

Birneybau wrote: »
    No idea about Mulhuddart but the 16 goes through Drumcondra and up Camden St. (parallel to Harcourt St). The 11 would leave you close to St. Stephen's Green, also not far from Harcourt St.

Brillliant, thanks a lot for that. Any idea how long they would take during rush hour in the morning/evening? :)

There's a bus lane through Drumcondra. I usually jump off on O' Connell St. but think it's quick enough getting across the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭anto3473

Commuting from drumcondra to harcourt st, better off getting yourself a bike - it's a short enough distance yo'd save on bus fares and, sitting through that traffic every day would be head wrecking, getting a bus or just walking would take a similar amount of time.

Drumcondra to Mullhuddart I'd actually give it an hour rather than 45 mins by bus, the navan road can be a real pain at certain times since there is a few schools along that route.

If you end up working in mullhudart its better to live nearer there, rent would be cheaper and the commute shorter.

If it were me id much prefer to live and work in the city, Dublin 15 (mullhuddart) has all the lack of stuff that rural Ireland has with bigger social problems than town. If i ended up working there i'd look for places to rent around Cabra/Stonybatter placing myself between the city and my route to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Harcourt street definitely. And nicer to stay in city centre esp if living in drumcondra

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

If you do end up taking the job in Mulhuddart, the best way to get there from Drumcondra will most likely be by train to Clonsilla and bus from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

For reasons other than just the commute I'd definitely choose Harcourt Street. Can't imagine Mulhuddart to be an exciting place to spend your days.

I'd also second what someone said about cycling. For a distance like that it's by far the best option. You'd be in work in no time and save a fortune.

Once buses hit the busy parts of town they tend to crawl. Unfortunately for you that'll be around the Parnell Sq/O'Connell Street area which is still a fair distance from Harcourt St.

Another option might be to get the bus as far as O'Connell Street and then renting a Dublin Bike. That's what I used to do if I was late for work and didn't have the time to waste crawling through College Green etc.

EDIT: To actually answer your question, I'd put the commute from Drumcondra to Harcourt St. (by bus at rush hour) at around 40-50 minutes. Cycling, 20 minutes.

As said previously, I get the bus from Glasnevin through Drumcondra at maybe 8:45 in the morning. From Drumcondra to O' Connell St. has never taken me more than 10-15 mins, ever.

Thank you all very much for your responses, much appreciated.

What about driving from Drumcondra to Mullhuddart in rush hour traffic?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Ah, bless your innocence...driving anywhere during rush hour is nearly always the slowest way, unless it is to someplace that has NO other means of access!

• Advertisement

katemarch wrote: »
    Ah, bless your innocence...driving anywhere during rush hour is nearly always the slowest way, unless it is to someplace that has NO other means of access!

Slower than taking the bus?!

I don't understand how that could be :(.

Feck! Looking like that Mullhuddart job is out the window anyway. Cheers :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

OP Dont bother with the bus. Buy a bike as its cycle lane the whole way into town. Its a bit nerve wrecking at first, but within a week it will be like you have Dont it your whole life. If you Dont want to commit to a bike just yet. Get a dublin bike card and try it out for a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

Anto further up the thread has suggested the best balance by far (without knowing the specifics of the actual jobs you would be doing)

Cycling from Drumcondra to Harcourt St will take only 20/25 minutes or so if you're at the lower end of Drumcondra. It would be quicker and cheaper than the bus or train + walk.

Mulhuddart is grim, and you face a haul to get out there one way or another. If you were to work in Mulhuddart I'd probably suggest living somewhere a bit closer to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

Jeebus wrote: »
    Slower than taking the bus?!

I don't understand how that could be :(.

Feck! Looking like that Mullhuddart job is out the window anyway. Cheers :)

Because of bus lanes. There will be large stretches of the journey in which you will be sitting still, while buses whizz past you.

Living in Castleknock or even Ashtown may be better options if you were working in Mulhuddart.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭iba

IMO driving to Mulhuddart from Drumcondra in the morning is not bad at all; in fact there is no traffic, as you would be going against the majority of the traffic; likewise in the evening, you are driving into town whereas the traffic is mainly coming out.

But as other posters have said, if you are going to work there (is it with IBM) then you would be better off living in Ongar, Tyrellstown, Blanchardstown, Clonsilia or Clonee etc

Advertisement