Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Throat Mic

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

It would work on a PC. The accuracy of the voice recognition may depend on the sound quality and the ability of the recognition software to learn the voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,450 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

That Amazon headset has only one plug as it's designed for use with mobile phones, the headset you'll need for a PC or Mac will need to have separate mic and earpiece plugs as there are separate sockets on laptops and PCs

For voice recognition I have never seen anyone use a throat mic, I think they will pick up too much background noise. In TV studios you see people with lapel mics but they are controlled environments where background noise is absorbed by specially constructed wall panels.

I'd buy a pilot style headset with one earpiece for PC voice recognition and expect to pay €30 or more, the mic needs to be good quality or you'll be tearing your hair out with wrong words coming up on the screen so don't go rock bottom on price. Pay attention to the specs. recommended by the s/w supplier.

plantronics_supraplus_h251a_monaural_headset_big.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Eph1958

Thanks for the info guys. What I am really looking for is a laryngophone for a disabled person with very low volume voice output in a noisy environment. Something like the ones used by doormen in discos except the voice would be used to input text and control PC, within a noisy background.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,450 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Is the background noise variable or at a relatively constant level? What you're looking for may not be possible, sounds like a tall order.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Eph1958

Background noise is currently quite low and constant....but the weak voice cannot be distinguished clearly over it, like a whisper over a laptop-fan at max speed. Largngophones are supposed to pick up voice sounds that are almost inaudible. I think it would require a hig-spec one and reckon the cheap £15 ones from Amazon are little more than microphones. Thanks for the help.

Ephraim.

• Advertisement
Advertisement