Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not enough stamps on A4 envelope. What happens?

Options
  • 10-06-2014 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭

Today I mistakenly posted an A4 envelope with just a 60cent stamp on it.

Its fairly light just three sheets of A4 paper and the address is local.

What happens in this situation? I did not put a return address on the envelope. Will it get delivered?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

Often items just get delivered and the system doesn't notice the insufficient postage, but when it does, the machines in the sorting office divert it for manual handling. If there is a return address on the item, then it is sent back to you. If there is no return address, then the item is opened to see if they can figure out who sent it. If they can identify you from that they will return it to you. If they cannot identify the sender from the contents then the item will be delayed and eventually delivered. They will hold onto it for a week or two before delivering it. Often when it arrives it will have a sticker on it statin 'Delayed due to insufficient postage.'

In other words, it will either arrive at its destination tomorrow, or come back to you in 2-3 days or it will arrive at its destination in a couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭thejuggler

Thanks. Fingers crossed it should get there so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

I always thought recipient payed the diffeence

• Registered Users Posts: 69,059 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I always thought recipient payed the diffeence

Hasn't been the case for years. Absolutely and utterly not worth the effort for it - the time it'd take for the postman to wait at the door to collect 30c, fill in the form if you weren't there, return it to a delivery office, have someone there collect 30c - easier to just deliver the damn thing and make a point of the issue by taking forever to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Galadriel

It happened to me recently when I posted off my no claims certificate, they opened the letter to see if they could find a return address and posted it back to me with a big 'insufficient postage' sticker on it.

I wonder what would have happened if they couldn't find my address. Won't be making that mistake again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,059 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Galadriel wrote: »
    I wonder what would have happened if they couldn't find my address. Won't be making that mistake again!

As said above it would have been delivered, after a delay of up to some weeks, to the destination.

Advertisement