Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chrome Problem.

Options
  • 10-06-2014 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭

I have a old laptop and i'm after running loads of programs to clean it up.

Ccleaner
    Malwarebytes
    Superantispyware
    SpyBot
    Cleanup!

Iv ran all of them they have all mad a performance difference.
    I think that i still may have a virus or problem.

Google Chrome when ever i click on it, it turns on but it wont load.
    Im connected to the internet and IE works fine.

When the Browser opens it has [url]Https://www.google.ie/search[/url]?

or

[url]Https://www.google.ie/chrome-signin/[/url] source=0

I put this down to a virus i could be wrong and be wasting my time but i dont no how to fix it.
    Also when chrome is open nothing works on it anything you search wont load that includes setting and all.

Any help will be much appreciated. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭solomafioso

Did you try to uninstall / re-install Chrome?

Also, by "old laptop" are you still running XP?

If you wanted to breathe some life in to it you could install Ubuntu. (NB: Back your docs to external drive first!).

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭LukeyKid

Did you try to uninstall / re-install Chrome?

Yes 4-5 time :P

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭maudgone

Sometimes you may need to restart after you uninstall a programme.

LukeyKid wrote: »
    Yes 4-5 time :P

Oh! Sorry.

Very odd issue though!

Hmm.

Right, in the list you posted earlier I'd just stick with ccleaner and malwarebytes. Everything else is just overkill!

Have you tried uninstalling -> run ccleaner (for registry and the cleaner) -> reboot -> install chrome.

Have you tried Firefox or Opera?

maudgone wrote: »
    Sometimes you may need to restart after you uninstall a programme.

Done it man :L iv fixed a lot of computers and generally get to the bottom of it but nah iv try everything no look its More then likely not a virus and that why i'm getting no where, I no AVG can stop your from accessing the internet but i'm 95% sure i have everything gone from that i had the external AVG remover get scan it all as well so i really don't no what i'm missing here :P

And no i only use Chrome i hate everything else.

and yeah i General do only use Ccleaner and Malwarebytes th

• Advertisement

Done it man :L iv fixed a lot of computers and generally get to the bottom of it but nah iv try everything no look its More then likely not a virus and that why i'm getting no where, I no AVG can stop your from accessing the internet but i'm 95% sure i have everything gone from that i had the external AVG remover get scan it all as well so i really don't no what i'm missing here :P

If you want a thorough scan you could try a live cd. I've used the AVG one before and it's done the trick.

If you want a thorough scan you could try a live cd. I've used the AVG one before and it's done the trick.

I quiet hate AVG its is the biggest problem maker and an absolute pain to get rid of sometimes.

and yeah i General do only use Ccleaner and Malwarebytes occasionally ill use Superantispyware if the machine is bad but no there was something odd about this and it wasn't going no where so i just get running the rest see would they do the trick but nope still no luck :(

I quiet hate AVG its is the biggest problem maker and an absolute pain to get rid of sometimes.

and yeah i General do only use Ccleaner and Malwarebytes occasionally ill use Superantispyware if the machine is bad but no there was something odd about this and it wasn't going no where so i just get running the rest see would they do the trick but nope still no luck :(

No, this doesn't install AVG. It's just a bootable iso that will scan the hard drive. I think AVG is now up there with the likes of Norton for being bloaty as f*ck.

Good link comparing current AV software(s).

http://www.av-test.org/en/home/?avtest%5Btype%5D=3&avtest%5Bplatforms%5D=5-4-1&avtest%5Bseries%5D=5-4-1:1391252400.2

No, this doesn't install AVG. It's just a bootable iso that will scan the hard drive. I think AVG is now up there with the likes of Norton for being bloaty as f*ck.

Good link comparing current AV software(s).

http://www.av-test.org/en/home/?avtest%5Btype%5D=3&avtest%5Bplatforms%5D=5-4-1&avtest%5Bseries%5D=5-4-1:1391252400.2

Oh okay well im putting it onto a CD now so hopefully it will do the trick :)

And its all well and good if you pay for the likes of norton and AVG but when you dont they do feck all for you and just cause more problems when you try to get rid of them becuase there as annoying as hell.

I found avast to be good didnt bother me and done the job but i just moved to security essential and never pops up never says nothing unless there is actually a threat and i have never once got a virus on my computer and iv been using it for the past year and half.

i just moved to security essential and never pops up never says nothing unless there is actually a threat and i have never once got a virus on my computer and iv been using it for the past year and half.

Eh....AV Tests use MSE as a 'baseline'! Even MS came out and encouraged users to install third party / alternate AV programs!

Link to article.

• Advertisement

Eh....AV Tests use MSE as a 'baseline'! Even MS came out and encouraged users to install third party / alternate AV programs!

Link to article.

Oh i no that MSE isn't great :P but its just shows that you don't need to spending a load of money and anti virus programs when you can just because and be smart about downloading because i use malwarebytes every now and again and about from some cookies and **** iv never got nothing worth worrieng about :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

It's some kind of registry error, I had the same on an old computer I installed it on in Korea. Chrome starts up but it's basically blanks out the minute you get in,and all the options like File --> Save etc don't work.

I uninstalled it and deleted the registry info for Chrome manually in regedit... it worked after

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

You could download the iron browser,
    it s based on chrome,
    but sends no user info to google.
    http://www.srware.net/en/software_srware_iron_download.php

IT looks almost identical to the chrome browser .

Thanks i actually might start using this myself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭sandleman1979

Had a similar issue recently...
    After about 3-4 successful chrome launches, it simply did not launch when you click on the icon.
    Logged in as another user and there was no problem at all...

We found the problem being this folder...

c:\users\<username>\appdata\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Local State

Simply deleted the folder and Chrome launched...problem sometimes did return but was the only way we could get it too work. This was on Windows 7. So if you are using XP the path will be
    c:\documents and settings\<username>\Local Settings\Appication Data\google\.......

Advertisement