Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Halo 5 - Guardians

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,263 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Yeah definitely, some people are just treating it as Big Team Battle at the moment and ignoring the bosses for the most part. It was like when I started playing Attrtion in Titanfall I couldn't figure out how I was scoring so low even though I was killing plenty of players, then I realised it was because I was more or less ignoring the AI enemies most of the time.

It's a shame you're not shown as a squad in Warzone if you're in with a couple of players, biggest issue I had was finding my fireteam when I respawned.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Mickeroo wrote: »
    It's a shame you're not shown as a squad in Warzone if you're in with a couple of players, biggest issue I had was finding my fireteam when I respawned.

Fireteam is just an in-game party ya?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,263 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    Fireteam is just an in-game party ya?

Yeah exactly, you can join and invite people using the in game menus.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

I notice that at a distance player gamertags are not displayed. Only the ID tags show so its a good idea to change this 4 character ID to something that resembles your gamertag.

I notice that at a distance player gamertags are not displayed. Only the ID tags show so its a good idea to change this 4 character ID to something that resembles your gamertag.

Did that yesterday evening, BATZ.

Is chat limited to your fireteam or should you just use Party chat?

• Advertisement

Did that yesterday evening, BATZ.

Is chat limited to your fireteam or should you just use Party chat?

If you're not in party chat you'll hear everyone and they'll hear you I would think.

• Just finished the campaign..

My thoughts with no spoilers and as a long time Halo fan I'm going to be as honest as possible about 343s latest effort so this may come across harsh.
    The Campaign:
    - Mediocre compared to anything else in the series. Halo 4 campaign was actually better than this and Halo 4 isn't great.
    - Not enough usage of the good weapons in the game. Forced to use covanent / promethean weapons and scavenge way too often.
    - Ally AI is downright awful. Useless against enemies and frustrating when attempting to try and revive you.
    - The story is all over the place and the supporting characters are just not interesting unlike the original trilogy. Locke is so boring typical COD stereotype.
    - The campaign pacing is all over the shop, there's no downtime from heavy combat within levels it's just wave after wave. Only downtime is these pointless levels where you walk around and there's a couple of NPCS with nothing interesting to say or do. Bungie implemented the slower segments way better in all there Halo games and this downtime was part of a complete level.
    - Not enough vehicle sections / variety in the mission structure either.
    - The game is too short also. I'm all for quick non padded linear story driven campaigns but this was a bit of a piss take. Hardly took me 7 hours on Heroic.
    - Game finishes on a predictable cliffhanger.
    - To be fair it looks like it will be more enjoyable in COOP and at times looks like it's purely built for this.

Multiplayer is Halo 5s saving grace:
    - MS / 343 obviously learned from the matchmaking disaster that was TMCC and you can see this is where all the time, effort and money was pumped.
    - Movement and gun-play is fluid, balanced and satisfying.
    - From what maps I have played there great.
    - Mechanically they got it right with a good balance of new and old features.
    - Love Warzone mode
    - I need to pump lots more time into the multi to get a detailed idea but from what I have played so far it's great.

Apparently you stay off the motion tracker when you walk now.......no more sprinting for me! I was blaming the noticeably shorter range on the motion tracker.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Seems the Campaign in Solo mode is pretty crap alright. Article on engadget lambasting it

i only ever really played the Halo solo campaigns, never got into the multiplayer for some reason. Looks like its not going to be the push i needed to "justify" the move from my trusty 360 just yet...:/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

The multiplayer is the only reason why I've bought any of them ever, it's amazing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Scruff wrote: »
    Seems the Campaign in Solo mode is pretty crap alright. Article on engadget lambasting it

i only ever really played the Halo solo campaigns, never got into the multiplayer for some reason. Looks like its not going to be the push i needed to "justify" the move from my trusty 360 just yet...:/
    Jaysus the no instant death reload thing sounds like absolute poison to the way I play Halo, that would make me put the controller through the screen.

Borderlands Second Wind system is still my favourite FPS death mechanic.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Sleazy Gonzales

IvoryTower wrote: »
    The multiplayer is the only reason why I've bought any of them ever, it's amazing!

Same as myself. Multiplayer, that's where it's at yo!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Split screen multiplayer and a few cans of cider was where it was at but that gone now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Just finished the campaign..

Multiplayer is Halo 5s saving grace:
    - MS / 343 obviously learned from the matchmaking disaster that was TMCC and you can see this is where all the time, effort and money was pumped.
    - Movement and gun-play is fluid, balanced and satisfying.
    - From what maps I have played there great.
    - Mechanically they got it right with a good balance of new and old features.
    - Love Warzone mode
    - I need to pump lots more time into the multi to get a detailed idea but from what I have played so far it's great.

Be on tonight for a good bout of MP Mick if you're about.

will be online shortly too...

• Be on tonight for a good bout of MP Mick if you're about.

Yep for sure bud

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Be on tonight for a good bout of MP Mick if you're about.
    Yep for sure bud
    will be online shortly too...

I'll be on also.

600px-TL5_(2).jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Chat is per team I believe.

• I'll be on also.

600px-TL5_(2).jpg

Bill Paxton... Legend

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

350r5.jpg

My favourite

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,760 ✭✭✭DaveNoCheese

Finished the campaign on heroic and have to say I feel a bit empty after it! There was more frustration than enjoyment while playing... Story was all over the place.

It got to a point where I just wanted to blaze through it to get it finished with and I hate saying that cause I'm someone who has played assault on the control room on legendary countless times and loved it each time... I can't honestly seeing myself even to attempt to try play this solo on legendary.

I have played one game of warzone and absolutely loved it... I'm really looking forward to sinking my teeth into that!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Still couldn't access multiplayer lastnight

Remembered the warnings about pre-loading the game and the patch might not work, so in the process of reinstalling now. Thank god for uncapped broadband..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

I was going to pick up a 500gb Xbox with Fifa 16 and then pick this up and the MCC (as I missed 4 and dont remember 3).

Judging from this thread and most other places its not really worth it?

Can get it for $320 AUD here but owning a PS4 and an expensive PC I'd only really be getting it for reliving Halo which doesn't really seem appealing now..

Anyone able to convince me to just jump on this?

(I played for the campaign in Halo not the multiplayer)

• Some good games last night. Was trying to make some clips but theater mode in Halo 5 looks pointless. Should have just used the OS in-game

I played last night for the first time, loads of fun. The combat seems really good, i think it will be great when I get the hang of it. I only played slayer with a few arena games. I'm not sure if it's just cause I haven't played enough yet but are there any levels like high ground, isolation etc that aren't just an arena? The levels seem perfect for competitive gaming, as in both sides pretty much mirror each other so there's no advantages, but I wouldn't mind a bit of sky, sand, grass etc! Is there any old school capture the flag? get to other teams base and take their flag to yours? always thought halo was the best fps for ctf

maximoose wrote: »
    Still couldn't access multiplayer lastnight

Remembered the warnings about pre-loading the game and the patch might not work, so in the process of reinstalling now. Thank god for uncapped broadband..

Just as I was turning it off last night, an error popped up about Halo Servers not being contactable.

Had a good few stables games last night with a few boards players here and I am terrible at Halo online now for some reason.

No highlight reel from the massive defeats we suffered anyways.

I have to say I am disappointed with Warzone, I was expecting something like ODSTs Firefight but with 2 competing teams, its nothing like that.

Its just big team battle with a few covenant thrown in and it doesn't seem to be balanced quite right, like one team can have several tanks and mechs and stuff on the go at one time and the other team can't even get out of their base.

• IvoryTower wrote: »
    I played last night for the first time, loads of fun. The combat seems really good, i think it will be great when I get the hang of it. I only played slayer with a few arena games. I'm not sure if it's just cause I haven't played enough yet but are there any levels like high ground, isolation etc that aren't just an arena? The levels seem perfect for competitive gaming, as in both sides pretty much mirror each other so there's no advantages, but I wouldn't mind a bit of sky, sand, grass etc! Is there any old school capture the flag? get to other teams base and take their flag to yours? always thought halo was the best fps for ctf

Yep CTF is very well implemented and suits the 4v4 / small maps. We played a good few games of it after warzone last night.

IvoryTower wrote: »

CTF is in the 4v4 arena playlist, hopefully it gets its own playlist soon!

There are a few maps that are in more open landscape but they're still quite small, I noticed a few maps are in rotation in the slayer playlist that don't seem to be in the arena playlist. I think they'll start adding more maps relatively soon. BTB is due in the next month or two so we haven't seen those maps yet. I'm crossing my fingers for another Valhall remake :)

That's reassuring, I'm going to play for about 6 hours tonight and get bloody good at this. Games are always better when you're kicking ass!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Just as I was turning it off last night, an error popped up about Halo Servers not being contactable.

Had a good few stables games last night with a few boards players here and I am terrible at Halo online now for some reason.

No highlight reel from the massive defeats we suffered anyways.

I have to say I am disappointed with Warzone, I was expecting something like ODSTs Firefight but with 2 competing teams, its nothing like that.

Its just big team battle with a few covenant thrown in and it doesn't seem to be balanced quite right, like one team can have several tanks and mechs and stuff on the go at one time and the other team can't even get out of their base.

TBH, the initial wonder of warzone has slightly worn off on me as well, Its annoying to spawn with a power weapon only to get killed almost immediately (I know, git gud skrub!). Its frustrating when you've taken 98% of a miniboss' health only for some opportunist on the other team to steal the kill and gain a massive swing in momentum. I dont know if more minibosses or lower point values are the answer here.

Also, it can feel a bit "sprinting simulator 2015" with the distance you have to travel from base to the action.

Fireteam Members / party members are indistinguishable from randomers for the most part, so a lot of the time you feel more like you're lone wolfing it. A 'spawn on teammate' or downed and revive mechanic would go a long way here. The radar / motion tracker range could do with being pushed out for warzone as well, for those big open maps 18m is too tight.

Yep CTF is very well implemented and suits the 4v4 / small maps. We played a good few games of it after warzone last night.

CTF was great craic, sweaty tryhard halo at its best. the game shines in a more up close and personal mode like that.

It seems like every round of strongholds I've played so far has been a severe beating, hopefully map knowledge might help this a bit.

On the positive side, I like how they've already assigned callouts to different areas of the maps that pop up in the lower left of the screen as you move from one zone to the other - br base, red corridor, etc.

Advertisement