Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Halo 5 - Guardians

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Buck is a Spartan now apparently.

I see.

Spartan augmentation has come a long way.
    20 he years previous it would kill/cripple half the children that underwent it.

Now any old guy can get it done in half a jiffy,no problem.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,229 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I see.

Spartan augmentation has come a long way.
    20 he years previous it would kill/cripple half the children that underwent it.

Now any old guy can get it done in half a jiffy,no problem.

It was touched on in Halo 4, all the current Spartans are volunteers, mostly regular marines or ODSTs. Halsey is seen as a bit of a pariah now since the original Spartans were a bunch of brainwashed children that were kidnapped from their parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Where are you getting all this backstory, those novels you see in the bookshops? worth a read?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,229 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Thargor wrote: »
    Where are you getting all this backstory, those novels you see in the bookshops? worth a read?

Mostly from the games themselves, the only book I read was Fall of Reach (which gives the backstory on Master Chief and a few other Spartans), it was entertaining but trashy as hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

The 'Spartan ops' episodes that accompanied Halo 4 gave a little insight.
    The mythical status of the Spartans is cheapened somewhat by that there are many hundreds of them on the UNSC Infinity.

I read the 3 novels released at the time.
    The 'Kilo five' trilogy that ties loosly into the game & ties itself in knots trying to bridge between previous novels (reach/ghosts of onyx) with Halo 4.

As games go, I quite like the halo universe.
    I'm not a fan of where they are taking the Spartans though... Just 10 a penny.

• Advertisement

Ooooh

lce_spill_shot_rgb---esrb-2ab07a72fda049f09ed9fb87548a8484.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

The 'Spartan ops' episodes that accompanied Halo 4 gave a little insight.
    The mythical status of the Spartans is cheapened somewhat by that there are many hundreds of them on the UNSC Infinity.

I read the 3 novels released at the time.
    The 'Kilo five' trilogy that ties loosly into the game & ties itself in knots trying to bridge between previous novels (reach/ghosts of onyx) with Halo 4.

As games go, I quite like the halo universe.
    I'm not a fan of where they are taking the Spartans though... Just 10 a penny.

Some of the Spartan technologies such as the Mjolnir armour have been widely deployed to Spartan Mark III's and IV's. But they are a completely different kettle of fish as has been discussed. Experienced soldiers given light augmentation that allows them to use power armour.

Whereas Spartan II's are genetically screened and subsequently altered super soldiers. Massively intelligent, utterly huge (7/8 ft) with massive top to bottom genetic and bionic modifications. Bred for war with utterly astonishing performance in the battlefield. But now utterly extinct except for the master chief. Because of the political exposure and fallout of the Spartan II program (child abduction, brutally dangerous and potentially crippling augmentation without consent etc) there will never been another Spartan like the MC.

So whilst power armoured 'Spartans' have become more common, none of the characters are under any illusion that they equate to Spartan II's.

The books contain allot more on how hated and distrusted the Spartan's were by the standard military.

A fairly in depth look at the campaign and the new co-op mechanics: https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/community/blog-posts/halo-5-guardians-your-team-is-your-weapon

It sucks there's no split screen but I like the idea that the campaign involves a squad of Spartans and is more geared towards co-op than before.

Also interesting that there seems to be a few more Spartan II survivor's apart from the Chief? Wonder where they came out of, there was something in the books about a female Spartan II that survived iirc but wasn't aware of any others?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,200 ✭✭✭maximoose

Like the sound of that.

Think I need to spend a day with a Halo Wiki and remind myself of the storyfrom the beginning, even though I played through MCC recently enough it's just gone straight out of my head.

Also, that statue is amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

It sucks there's no split screen but I like the idea that the campaign involves a squad of Spartans and is more geared towards co-op than before.

Halo 5: Republic Commando. It does add a new dimension to Halo games but I think it's better suited to slower games like Socom, and Rainbow Six than Halo. It's also going to be heavily dependent on teammates AI as it can be terrible in a lot of games.

I haven't really been following the story of five but it seems fairly removed from 4, wasn't there supposed to be a second trilogy running through 4-6?

Also how well known is the new Locke character? Has his face been seen? Because listening to the first few episodes of the Hunt the TruthHalo does Serial podcast they seem to be pointing towards him being
    John's flash clone.

• Advertisement

Locke is black and was an odst before he became a Spartan I think, pretty sure he was the main character in that series Halo:Nightfall they brought out around the time of the MCC.Haven't got around to watching it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,200 ✭✭✭maximoose

If you go see Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation you'll spot a lovely bit of product placement for Halo 5, gave me a chuckle lastnight. Damn Benji getting to play before the rest of us :pac:

maximoose wrote: »
    If you go see Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation you'll spot a lovely bit of product placement for Halo 5, gave me a chuckle lastnight. Damn Benji getting to play before the rest of us :pac:

Hah, yeah I saw that alright. The even had a gratuitous shot of the box in the drawer just in case anyone didn't know what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Just finished the "hunt the truth" podcast. I'd highly recommend it to anyone who wants a nice dramatised recounting of the spartan programme. I just started Halo 4 over the weekend and the initial cinematic actually dovetails nicely into it.

A fairly in depth look at the campaign and the new co-op mechanics: https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/community/blog-posts/halo-5-guardians-your-team-is-your-weapon

Also interesting that there seems to be a few more Spartan II survivor's apart from the Chief? Wonder where they came out of, there was something in the books about a female Spartan II that survived iirc but wasn't aware of any others?
    The Master Chief and the other members of Blue Team are some of the few remaining members of the SPARTAN-II program. Proven veterans of the Human-Covenant war, they’ve known one another since childhood and trust one another on a deep level. In that regard, they’ll help the Chief fill a void of companionship left in Cortana’s passing.

The what now? When did this happen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Isn't that covered in one of the books about the Spartans training programme? I can't quite remember but it is familiar.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Sierra 117

Isn't that covered in one of the books about the Spartans training programme? I can't quite remember but it is familiar.

Yeah, The Fall of Reach.

Another trailer, no gameplay in it, think it's the opening cinematic so don't watch if you want to save that sort of thing for when the game comes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Stormhawk88

If there is even a tenth the awesomeness of this cinematic in game it is going to be amazing.

Also imagine this but blue team. Osiris are rookies compared to the Chief, Kelly, Linda and Fred.

It really annoys me how easy Elites are to kill in cut scenes though :P

• Advertisement

They must have it on Easy:rolleyes: It definitely isn't Legendary they woulde be hiding in the rocks sniping at a bunch of grunts!

some campaign gameplay:

Really liking how mobile you look.

I want to watch this, but I don't want to ruin the campaign....hmmm..... maybe I'l just wait :(

Just under a month to go!

Eurogamer's ever excellent Digital Foundry goes hands on with Halo 5:
    A locked 60fps does not come cheap and it's clear that image quality is compromised in order to deliver this objective. This feels like an acceptable solution in this case as it benefits gameplay but those sensitive to image quality issues may be disappointed. The post-process anti-aliasing solution employed here works well enough at full 1080p but, as the resolution begins to dip, it can also result in a rather muddy-looking image.

Seems like a sensible compromise. Stable smooth framerates are always the priority. Given Bungie's adherence to 30FPS with Destiny, will be interesting to see the differences in how they play and feel (given their strong shared lineage).

article: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-hands-on-with-halo-5-guardians

Gameplay above image quality especially for multi-player, the only thing that I would be worried about here is long distance sniping on the new Arena mode.
    Apart from that I am not worried about image quality.

Nice article though.

Fall of Reach animated trailer, think this comes packaged with the game if you buy the special edition versions.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Started a Legendary play through of 1-4 before the release. Only on Level 2 of Halo and already on the verge of putting the controller through the tv. Think I had repressed just how frustrating the campaign was on the anniversary edition a few years back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I broke a controller playing Anniversary on Legendary. The only instance of major game rage I've ever experienced actually. :o

Advertisement