Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Child Minding Fees

Options
  • 10-06-2014 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭

Hi,

My wife is returning to work (she is a school teacher) in September and we are on the lookout for a child minder for our 2 children.

Our 4 year old will start pre-school in September and need to be dropped for 9 and collected and 12 with our 7 year old dropped to school and collected at 3.

We are guessing dropping with the minder around 7.30 and collecting around 5.

We are being advised to expect rates of €5 per hour for our 3 year old and €3 per hour for our 7 year old. I have been told that typically there are other fees for example:

- Fee for holidays – my wife would not be working school holidays – is it normal that a “retainer” fee of some sort is sought by the child minder during these weeks?
    - Deposit – some have said that a non-refundable deposit is expected to keep a child minder for September. This seems reasonable but how much and is it normal?
    - Bank Holidays? Fee or no fee? Whats normal?

Thanks for your help – it’s a mine field to figure out.

C22

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

It depends on where you are in the country and the childminder.
    Some childminders love to mind teachers kids because then they are off with their own kids,I would ask for a September deposit if minding teachers kids just to be sure that you would get them back or at least not be out of pocket as much.
    5 euro an hour is the norm for after school and for part time hours but then the minder will usually give a discount for 2nd child.
    I find it easier to just set a weekly/monthly amount based on the hours etc rather then actually charge by the hour and yes you pay as usual for bank holidays or if the kids do not attend on a normal day.
    If the minder has to be on call during pre school hours then some also charge for that as they need to be nearby.

www.childminding.ie might be of help to you.

Advertisement