Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I've rescued 3 hedgehogs in last 10 days

• 10-06-2014 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭

They were on the road in my estate. One last week, one 2 days ago and one juvenile last night. The juvenile had collapsed by a kerb.

Two were in great health, but would've been hit by a car or van if left on the road. The baby, however, was in a very bad way. Heartbreaking. Spoke to a wildlife charity and they advised the vet. My vet took the wee boy in, (it was easy to sex him) but he didn't make it.

Didn't think I'd be affected by it, but when the vet phoned me this morning, I did shed a tear. He was beautiful. I keep seeing him lying in my sons arms, probably near death, and his wee eyes.

So my question is this. Why suddenly are they appearing? It's a busy area, two main roads intersecting, traffic lights etc.

I live in a small estate. There is a house getting an extension and at the main road, a massive refit of a Maxol garage. Could their nest have been disturbed?

Is there anything I can do?

The two other hedgies, are ok and in the care of a wildlife charity.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Hedgehogs disperse and go it alone at about eight weeks old. These were probably on the move to find new territories. The injured one needed a vet but the other two could probably have been fine if just moved to safety. Wildlife charities will not turn an animal away but are not always necessary.

I have had 2 hedgehogs and a fox cub brought to me in the past fortnight. All were immediately returned to where they were found.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

Talking of hedgehogs, met this little guy (or girl ?) on a woodland walk at the weekend !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,322 ✭✭✭emo72

arent hedgehogs the greatest things ever?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Talking of hedgehogs, met this little guy (or girl ?) on a woodland walk at the weekend !

lol did you get enough photos? :)

Advertisement