Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IT Support job experience help?

Options
  • 10-06-2014 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Just finished college and will embarking on a career in IT Support hopefully if i can gain employment. My confidence and experience i feel is not up to scratch maybe that's just my thinking. Most of the jobs i have looked at all require min experience 1-2 years which is pushing me down the road of a placement i.e. Jobbridge route to gain experience.

So i would like to ask anyone who have experience in this role for some advice. Is there any thing i can do to improve my IT Support knowledge i.e. books, websites. Any comment on the industry itself, my only experience in a support role was 1 day a week placement during college for 4 months and was shadowing for the majority of the placement.

Also any interview advice that you can give would be greatly appreciated as well.

Sorry it is a bit long winded.

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

not sure what qualifications you have already
    but for IT support roles you will be looking to get CompTIA A+ and network+ also getting a Microsoft certification can be a plus as most companies use the Microsoft products.

there maybe level 1 support roles available in galway, if they turn up i will message to point you in the right direction.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

I can't really advise you much about this bit there's no harm in applying for the positions, you'll never know. I hear that experience is often sought after in IT.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭thelad84

Thanks Laviski. I will hopefully have a degree in IT Administration. I covered subjects such as databases, networks, e-commerce, computer admin. I have a little knowledge about these areas i just lack the real world IT experience and just trying to gain further knowledge for the future.

I suppose its a confidence thing with me.

I plan on taking the Windows Operating System Fundamentals: MTA Exam 98-349 and CCNA exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭STEINBERG

The thing with a support role is that you cannot realy study for all the day to day problems that you might encounter, you know like no matter how much you read about or get the gist of a subject then it can all go out the window when you get into a position... You just need the experience i guess...

Would you consider something like the Cloud Careers Programme? http://www.isa-skillnet.com/cloud-careers-programme/

It is a fantastic opportunity for anybody interested. Send me a PM with any info you would like about it, i am currently on the programme and it is seriously good.

Hi Steinberg tried to PM says you can not receive PM's.

Where are the courses based?

• Advertisement

thelad84 wrote: »
    Hi Steinberg tried to PM says you can not receive PM's.

Where are the courses based?

Sorry that was some settings on my part that i did not know were set. Should be sorted now. The training is based in Cork.

Thanks for that mate will definitely check it out. Just had a look at the link seems very interesting and cloud computing is all the rage now.

How do you find the course is it tough?

Thanks for that mate will definitely check it out. Just had a look at the link seems very interesting and cloud computing is all the rage now.

How do you find the course is it tough?

Ya its hard going but the training with regards the instructors is top notch i must say.... The material is not so hard its more the time frame and the amount of stuff is what is hard going.. Do check it out. I know it might be hard for people living outside of Cork but there is alot of lads on the programme now not from Cork at all...

Ye that would be the only issue as i live in Galway. But will definitely do some research on the course.

Thanks again for providing me with the link and best of luck with the rest of the course.

Ye that would be the only issue as i live in Galway. But will definitely do some research on the course.

Thanks again for providing me with the link and best of luck with the rest of the course.

No problem if you have anymore questions then just shoot away anytime... there is a few people from around the Athlone and Longford area on it now, they got some cheap accomadation down here i think for the 9 months... worth a look into anyway..

Good luck with it if you do apply!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Maybe see if theres any charities looking for help?

http://camara.org/give-computers/give-computers-ireland/drop-off/#galway

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

As much as I loathe the Jobbridge scheme, I wouldn't completely count it out if you are finding it tough when applying for jobs. We had a young lad start on the IT Helpdesk in my place of work with no qualifications and no experience in IT. He had a great attitude though, he put the effort in, and not only got a permanent job out of it but two years later is being moved into a much better role away from the Helpdesk.

I would definitely encourage you to just start applying for jobs though, once you start getting interviews you will find that a lot of job specs oversell what they're looking for, if they like you and you have the right attitude, you'll get in somewhere.

As much as I loathe the Jobbridge scheme, I wouldn't completely count it out if you are finding it tough when applying for jobs. We had a young lad start on the IT Helpdesk in my place of work with no qualifications and no experience in IT. He had a great attitude though, he put the effort in, and not only got a permanent job out of it but two years later is being moved into a much better role away from the Helpdesk.

I would definitely encourage you to just start applying for jobs though, once you start getting interviews you will find that a lot of job specs oversell what they're looking for, if they like you and you have the right attitude, you'll get in somewhere.

That's great advice mate thank you. I suppose i am just put of the 1 - 2 years experience they require but no harm in applying at best i will get experience in interviews.

Thanks for all the replies and advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

Thanks for all the replies and advice.

I don't suppose you speak German by any chance, we are always looking for german speaking IT support agents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭yawhat!

TBH any IT support roles I know is from picking up the stuff yourself and you use nothing u learned from college!

You just have a interest and know ur sh**t

Advertisement