Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Possible Test Questions

• 10-06-2014 5:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭

So I've got my full test in Navan tomorrow and just looking to study up for some possible questions that may come up on the rules of the road before the test.

After looking around the forum I can see signs are a must (which is pretty much common knowledge anyways) and then just rules of the road.

But Im worried, do they ever ask really oddball questions or is it just like..

"Where should you posistion yourself when making a right hand turn?" ... etc

Would a general knowledge of the rules of the road suffice ? Can you think of any questions that may catch me out ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭blu3r0ri0n

Ayrtonf7 wrote: »
    "Where should you posistion yourself when making a right hand turn?" .
    I didn't get asked similar questions to the above, I'm pretty sure they expect you to be able to demonstrate as such while they are following you. However, you could be asked questions about the bike, such as how do you check the oil, break oil etc. What checks you should do before getting on the bike, minimum thread depth, etc...

I got asked about the oil check and basic checks before riding off and that was it.

Good luck tomorrow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭AD!

They shouldn't be trying to catch you out. I got asked a lot about the bike controls and tightening the chain etc
    He checked all my lights and indicators worked so make sure they are all ok

Best of luck with it!

Alan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Good luck OP. Let us know how you got on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Suasdaguna1

Turn up in good gear, not rags. Know where all your fluids are located, know your limits on tyre wear plus when to know when your brake pads require attention. Be able to walk your bike. Life saver moving off, turning......mirrors at all times.....you know the gig. If you pass, yippee, if you don't straight back into it again. Besta luck, its a great feeling to pass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

cheers lads, hoping it goes well. Ive sunk a lot of my last two monthly wages into this so Id be gutted if It was all for nothing. Anyways positive thoughts and onto tomorrow :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

What time is your test OP. Mine is 08:50. Have you brushed up on hand signals? He is bound to ask 1 or 2

What time is your test OP. Mine is 08:50. Have you brushed up on hand signals? He is bound to ask 1 or 2

Mines on at 14:30 so right around when the school gets out. Gotta love the timing.

Yeh there pretty simple for bikes though no ?

traffic.gif

Besides from myself, high vis, licence & IBT cert what else do I need to bring ?

My Instructor is providing bike

Ayrtonf7 wrote: »
    Mines on at 14:30 so right around when the school gets out. Gotta love the timing.

Yeh there pretty simple for bikes though no ?

traffic.gif

Besides from myself, high vis, licence & IBT cert what else do I need to bring ?

My Instructor is providing bike

Are you sure they are the correct signs for a motorbike? Can anyone clarify?

Do you need to bring the IBT cert?

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭lostboy75

No need for cert, your permit, and the log book for the bike which instructor will give you on the day, (make sure to give it back! I came very close to heading off with it!)
    That's all I rem. Was asked hand signals, some road signs in the office, fluids down with the bike and asked what checks, powders, you all know all the answers, just rem to breath, and try to relax.
    They are very formal, and there is no chat at all. Don't let that throw you either. My guy chatted away and gave me some advice after he gave me my result.
    Good luck!

So ... I failed.

After the hour pre-test I was feeling good. I hadn't made too many mistakes during it and I had come on a long way from when I had first started out. So I get to the test center and the nerves are still well at bay. Grand. I go in sit down, answer a few questions, a few signs, and out to the bike to begin the test.

Long story short I got 9 grade 2s and 1 grade 1 (Something like that). My biggest failure area was overtaking a cyclist. I moved too far out into the oncoming lane (taking a center position in it) and the instructor deemed that I gave the cyclist too much clearance which wasnt necessary. I made the same mistake in my emergency overtake and he said it wasn't necessary to leave that much room especially for bikes etc. I picked up another few for being too extreme with my posistions when turning left/right.

I know a lot of people come out of the test and immediately blame the instructor and stuff like that... So Im not going to that. The only problem I had with him was that he was a little bit late with instructions, but sure I think my instructor was just a little bit generous and I wasnt prepared for such short notices.

Keeping this on-topic the questions he asked me were so straightforward I couldnt believe it. Things like, what is a high-vis used for, what safety equipment should be worn, what do you do it dazzled by oncoming lights and then just POWDER when it came to the bike. The road signs were easy enough as well although you could easily get caught out if you didnt go through them so id recommend people do that. All in all a quick read of the rules of the road a few days before your test should set you on the right course.

So next step, book my test after I post this, and just get back out and keep practising. Its hard to think about the amount of money Ive spent so far but sure whats the point in stopping now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭blu3r0ri0n

Tough break mate, chin up though you will get it next time! Thanks for the feedback on the questions I'm sure others will find them useful!

As you said, get out and practice. Try to get out with some experienced riders.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭AD!

Hard luck with that. Chin up. Book another test while most of the information is still fresh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭neamhspleachi

Keep the faith, if a gobshíte like me can pass the test anyone can

Best of luck with the re-test & let us all know how you get on

Hard luck op. Like you said book straight away. When I done the overtake manoeuvre the tester stoped his bike beside the footpath. I changed to the opposite lane and was not given a bad grade for it. Guess it depends on the tester on the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Failed mine too today :/ Can see why though, and really really should have done a pre-test. Or at very least gotten to know the roads.

I gotta think though, I got a few failures for Safety glances, I know I missed one, that's it.

Yeh I think not knowing the test route is a killer because the instructions come so late. Navan wouldnt be a place I visit often so when I was taken off-route was a bit like what the hell.

Advertisement