Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ridiculously hard leaving cert year?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 69cokaz

I honestly found the mocks way easier so far anyway. Maths was way harder than i expected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 119 ✭✭kn2k10

Do you think? I was feeling pretty ok about it...just avoid the photo-electric question like the plague

My teacher was a pleb though.

Didn't finish the course.
    Didn't get all experiments done.
    Wasted one class after another by letting us finish up 10 mins early a lot.
    Tried to embarrass us constantly.
    Constant slacker.

To be honest, have no clue how he ever became a teacher.
    I think for some people, care fades with age. The old ****e probably couldn't give a damn about students any more and has his eyes set solely on his retirement.

I blame my inabilities on him, but I'm still going to try for the HL paper. If I can just get the experiments out and do Q5 I think I can get by.
    Got 56% in the mocks ...

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Fiske

As someone who has been out of school for a ton of this year and the last and not got much study done, I think the exams so far (at least Maths, Irish, English and Biology, the ones I've sat) have been gorgeous. Nothing on Maths was mad cruel, Irish and English were predictable (and this is the first time I've ever got most of the answers on an Irish aural. Lovely tape was loooovelyyy). Biology was just plain nice. Still three exams to go but I'm already thinking of 2014 as the year that some great entity decided to have mercy on me and my soul! Let's hope it keeps up for Physics because my teacher's god awful so I'll be pretty much handling the whole course myself this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Badwulf

Although I don't think the exams have been ridiculously hard this year, I do feel some have been completetly unfair due to the fact they have "Broken the mold" so to speak.

Engineering

TWO graphs for question 2 and not a single NDT question, this has never happened until now.
    Polymers question showed an xbox controller and asked the method instead of showing the moulding process and asking what it was, how it worked, and what it could be used to make. This has also never happened.

Biology

NOT ONE SINGLE photosynthesis, respiration OR human reproduction question, I can tolerate no photosynthesis or respiration but no reproduction question either? Also a diagram which looks like the photo was taken by a 6 year old with pizza slices for hands, wtf like? I couldn't tell if it was a foot or a bicep flexing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

So far it's been pretty good for me,the Irish listening was a breeze compared to the samples.Depending on how history goes tomorrow I could do a complete 180 on this!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

There is a phenomenon called exam adrenaline, which causes people to think that real exams are far more difficult than mock exams, which could cause people to post a lot of what is on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭LmnadZ

Stheno wrote: »
    There is a phenomenon called exam adrenaline, which causes people to think that real exams are far more difficult than mock exams, which could cause people to post a lot of what is on this thread.

Maybe... I was sweating,panicking and my heart was constantly pounding hard during the mocks exams.It's strange however i don't experience any of those things right now on exams maybe I'm just well prepared for the exams :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

LmnadZ wrote: »
    Maybe... I was sweating,panicking and my heart was constantly pounding hard during the mocks exams.It's strange however i don't experience any of those things right now on exams maybe I'm just well prepared for the exams :D

I've compared over 1000 students doing mock versus live exams, 90% come out saying the live was harder, yet results for the entire 1000 are +/- 3 marks of what they got in the mocks for all bar one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Hotale.com

I've compared over 1000 students doing mock versus live exams, 90% come out saying the live was harder, yet results for the entire 1000 are +/- 3 marks of what they got in the mocks for all bar one.

+ / - 3 marks!? That seems incredibly close :eek:

Interesting nonetheless,at the end of the day for a lot of people the amount of preparation plays a big part in their experience of the actual exam like it did for me though you could argue it all comes down to the day of the exam no matter how much you prepared.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

* Bunch of Physics posts moved to Physics Discussion thread! *

* Bunch of Physics posts moved to Physics Discussion thread! *

Thx randy didn't realise it while discussing :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

LmnadZ wrote: »
    Thx randy didn't realise it while discussing :D
    Not the end of the world as we know it, just makes it easier for everyone if we try to keep the place a *bit* tidy! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Daledge wrote: »
    So it seems as though everyone is coming out of exams thinking that they were hell incarnate and lightyears more difficult then previous years, ?

It seems to me that one is expected to actually know stuff, to get an education and not just enough to answer a few exam questions and hope the favourites come up.

Maybe your exam will mean something, 40 years ago my leaving was over qualified for a job, and yet we did nothing, our teachers we very clever and gambled on what would come up in the exam and they just did that.

I probably should not have bothered, but you'll need a BA to equal my leaving. And that was like 150 years ago in 1972, and yes my math is pathetic. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Badwulf

Wait are you saying that in the "live"exams everyone either gets 3 marks higher or lower?

Hotale.com wrote: »
    + / - 3 marks!? That seems incredibly close :eek:

This was in an adult education course where the pass was 65% forty questions each worth 1 mark.

So equivalent to a difference of 2.5 marks for an exam marked at 100 easy enough to change a grade for better or worse

I've the data to back it up.

It did vary depending on how well people did/didn't do in mocks, those who failed in mocks tended to go up, those who did really well, went down a little, those in the middle stayed there.

Google it "exam adrenaline" it's well recognised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40 Pidge96

I'm surprised with how sticky biology was in parts and how reasonable the higher maths was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Raspberry Fileds

This was in an adult education course where the pass was 65% forty questions each worth 1 mark.

So equivalent to a difference of 2.5 marks for an exam marked at 100 easy enough to change a grade for better or worse

I've the data to back it up.

It did vary depending on how well people did/didn't do in mocks, those who failed in mocks tended to go up, those who did really well, went down a little, those in the middle stayed there.

Google it "exam adrenaline" it's well recognised.

IMO, that's not especially illustrative. The question of the thread is whether the general difficulty of the papers of this LC was abnormally high. I assume, by difficulty, that the OP is referring to the objective difficulty of the questions and not to how difficult it is to achieve particular grades, because we all know that the grade distribution remains roughly equal from year to year.

Though the circumstances of the study aren't the same (for example, I imagine LC students practise far more past papers than those in Adult Education, which would likely sway the results in some way), I suspect that the overwhelming tendency of Adult Education students to find the exam more difficult than a mock would also be found to be the case with LC students.

It's a shame that the SEC doesn't conduct studies of this nature.

My opinion on the English and Maths papers is that the first was of usual standard (if anything, slightly easier than usual - poetry was very kind, for instance), and that the second was significantly less challenging than some papers on the previous syllabus.

Advertisement