Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NEW: Tymon Park Run

Options
  • 10-06-2014 5:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭

Hello All,

There's a park run starting in Tymon Park this Saturday if anyone is living in that area.

Linky:

http://www.parkrun.ie/tymon/

:)

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

maguic24 wrote: »
    Hello All,

There's a park run starting in Tymon Park this Saturday if anyone is living in that area.

Linky:

http://www.parkrun.ie/tymon/

:)

Nice one, not in great shape just now but may trot around the course on saturday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

adrian522 wrote: »
    Nice one, not in great shape just now but may trot around the course on saturday!

Oh don't worry I'll be the fat pasty one coming in last. :P I'm delirah, live right opposite it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Anyone (meno?) post up a course map that explains which direction the runners go. There's a course map on the web page, but all I can tell from that is that we're in Tymon park :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Yeah, I noticed that too. We know that park like the back of our hands, but without a few helpful arrows it's impossible to tell anything about the route.

There's a group doing a course recce tomorrow night, and meno and probably myself will be there, so we'll be in a position to clarify the course direction after that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

RayCun wrote: »
    Anyone (meno?) post up a course map that explains which direction the runners go. There's a course map on the web page, but all I can tell from that is that we're in Tymon park :)

Yep as Dave says, we will be doing a recce tomorrow night (for anyone interested see the FB Page). I will post up a garmin link afterwards.

A few already recce'd the course yesterday morning so there might already be a few garmin links floating about???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

menoscemo wrote: »
    Yep as Dave says, we will be doing a recce tomorrow night (for anyone interested see the FB Page). I will post up a garmin link afterwards.

A few already recce'd the course yesterday morning so there might already be a few garmin links floating about???

http://app.strava.com/activities/135103317 this may not be the finished product but it was what Ais and Rob showed me.

I think it will be quicker than Marlay Park which should help. According to Strava there are 19m of climbing in Tymon as compared to 48m of climbing in Marlay.

Peterx wrote: »
    http://app.strava.com/activities/135103317 this may not be the finished product but it was what Ais and Rob showed me.

it doesn't include km markers either :)
    The start is at the bottom of a hill, I presume you run up from there to the bridge? Did you turn left at the top of the hill or right?

Think I have it figured out.
    Start at the bottom of the hill, beside the Sli na Slainte marker
    Run north past the astroturf pitch
    Left at the first junction, towards the motorway
    Left again, past the footbridge and down beside the roundabout
    Loop around there, past the pylon, and turn right to go downhill and through start line again
    Then the big lap around the outside and back to the footbridge
    Fast 100m downhill to the finish line (and straight through, braking on spectators :pac:)

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Run and Jump

Looking forward to this - Tymon Park is a great place to run. If my current niggles clear up, I'll be there this Saturday morning for the first of many!

it doesn't include km markers either :)
    The start is at the bottom of a hill, I presume you run up from there to the bridge? Did you turn left at the top of the hill or right?

Put your mouse over the elevation map and you can follow the route.

No- It looks like you do a smaller loop first running away from the hill. By the looks of it you never actuall have to run up the hill, rather the longer drags :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

No- It looks like you do a smaller loop first running away from the hill. By the looks of it you never actuall have to run up the hill, rather the longer drags :)

Cheers Menoscemo - yes you can drag along the profile. Starts on the flat.
    As I said though, this may NOT be finalised route.

ah jaysus, that was easier than zooming in :o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Must make it up to this one of the weeks.

Ah, figured it out now too. Looks like a good route, I like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,222 ✭✭✭plodder

Great news this is starting and will definitely drop over some week to do it. I think it's worth adding a more detailed description of the route (it could be the organisers hadn't finalised it before the deadline for the website). You'd be surprised how many people look at it. For a while, our course page had the instructions going the wrong direction and it caused some confusion for a visiting (sub 16 min) runner one day. The signs can be hard to read when going full belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭crisco10

Might pop along to this since I'm doing nothing else on Saturday. Having never been to the park before, maybe someone could give me a heads up on the best place to park?

Thanks

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

crisco10 wrote: »
    Might pop along to this since I'm doing nothing else on Saturday. Having never been to the park before, maybe someone could give me a heads up on the best place to park?

Thanks

There's a car park right by the entrance, up from the spawell on the left.

adrian522 wrote: »
    There's a car park right by the entrance, up from the spawell on the left.

Much as Marlay ask people not to park in the front carpark (so as not to fill up the carpark for normal park users), Tymon are asking Parkrunners not to use that car park. Official parking is at the National Basketball Arena. From there it is about a 400m jog up the lane, over the M50 bridge and down the hill to the start....

http://goo.gl/maps/ozZuN

Map shows 600m but if you take the obvious shortcut over the fireld to the M50 bridge it is less...

There is a large car park in the Spawell BUT they have been known to get clampers in when non-customers park there.
    There is a car park on Tymon Road/Castletymon Road on the lawless side of the M50, and there's parking outside the school on Limekiln Road (north side of park), both only a few minutes warm-up jog from the start line

There is a large car park in the Spawell BUT they have been known to get clampers in when non-customers park there.
    There is a car park on Tymon Road/Castletymon Road on the lawless side of the M50, and there's parking outside the school on Limekiln Road (north side of park), both only a few minutes warm-up jog from the start line

From Tymon Park run page:

Its getting close! We'll be posting up more details during the week. Parking for the Tymon parkrun will be in the National Basketball Arena.

• Advertisement

Much as Marlay ask people not to park in the front carpark (so as not to fill up the carpark for normal park users), Tymon are asking Parkrunners not to use that car park. Official parking is at the National Basketball Arena. From there it is about a 400m jog up the lane, over the M50 bridge and down the hill to the start....

http://goo.gl/maps/ozZuN

Map shows 600m but if you take the obvious shortcut over the fireld to the M50 bridge it is less...

Opps. Sorry.

I should have said
    "There is also a...." :)

The car park near the start line and playgrounds seems like the easiest option, but it fills up very quickly, especially when there is overflow from the GAA clubs and football club. If you went to that car park and found it full you might end up tempted by the Spawell car park, and if you do that you might end up getting clamped. Better to avoid that corner of the park altogether and go to the NBA or one of the car parks on a different side of the park.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭paddybarry

Would this be considered a much quicker course than Marley?

Don't be put off by the road works on the Basketball Arena driveway - there's still access to the carpark. Just follow your nose. they're upgrading the access road (and buggering up our club race xc route in the process)

paddybarry wrote: »
    Would this be considered a much quicker course than Marley?

there is no real hill, but mile 3 is going to hurt :)

The finish down the hill is going to be quadshredding-tastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

Wow, I didn't expect there to be so much interest in this. I can has all the boards running friends? ^___^

Here is the garmin link of the course as promised:
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/519413004

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Here is the garmin link of the course as promised:
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/519413004

Looks like a season's best for you there ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

there is no real hill, but mile 3 is going to hurt :)

Find me a 5k route where mile 3 doesn't hurt Ray and I'll be there with bells on! I'm in horrible shape at the moment but I plan to pop down in the morning for a shuffle round. I've never been in Tymon before so looking forward to it.

Advertisement