Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The BIG History predictions thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Fifii

Archaeoleogist
    Ancient Rome
    Artrist outside Italy
    Revolutions
    Planter
    WWII
    Struggle for Irish Independence

(I dont even know if the last 2 come up in people in History;))

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Liordi

Fifii wrote: »
    Archaeoleogist
    Ancient Rome
    Artrist outside Italy
    Revolutions
    Planter
    WWII
    Struggle for Irish Independence

(I dont even know if the last 2 come up in people in History;))

I think Hitler has came up before, he did on our mocks anyway.
    Struggle for Irish independence is usually referred to as "write about a leader who struggled for irish independence between <dates>"

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Fwiz

Will you be able to choose which revolution to write about or is that possible? :S Like how would the question be asked?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Fwiz wrote: »
    Will you be able to choose which revolution to write about or is that possible? :S Like how would the question be asked?

2008 paper has a q on revolutionary movements.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 B123m456

Go to 2011 for part a ... The pattern for part a question 4 is every 3 years without fail

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 Samdublinn

I've looked around and can't seem to find a few essays I want to study for tomorrow.

I've looked through the forums for: Michael Collins, Sean Lemass, Person living in the famine in Ireland & a person who received land during a plantation in Ireland (Ulster).

Does anyone have any of these essays? Would be really helpful.

Thanks

I managed to find the Sean Lemass one for anyone who needed it aswell:

A named political leader in the Republic of Ireland during the period 1960-1985

Sean Lemass was a very important Irish political leader in the 1960s. Lemass was born in Dublin and took part in the 1916 rising and the War of Independence. He was one of the founding members of Fianna Fail in 1926. He served as Minister for Industry and Commerce in the first Fianna Fail government of 1932.

During the war years of 1939-1945 he served as Minister for Supplies and was in charge of rationing, price controls etc. In the 1960s he got the important position of Taoiseach and leader of FF upon the retirement of De Valera. His primary goal was to modernise Ireland and create jobs through massive foreign investment. He was totally in favour of the IDA giving grants to foreign companies to set up in Ireland.

Lemass also supported the idea of Irish troops serving on UN missions. He supported the setting up of a national TV station - RTE in 1962. He was also the very first Irish leader to hold meetings with the Prime Minister of Northern Ireland as he was very interested in promoting co-operation between North and South in economy, tourism etc.

Also found the Ulster Plantation person one:

(iii) A settler who received land during a named Plantation

My name is John Henderson and I was born in Scotland. I belong to the local Presbyterian Church. I have always been very loyal to the King and because of that I came to settle in Ulster in 1622. The reason I came was because I was a Servitor and that means I used to be a soldier in the King’s army. The King owed me money for my services to the country. For payment I was given a 1000-acre estate in County Fermanagh.

When I came to Ulster I had to follow certain very important rules. I had to pay a rent of £8 per year and I had to build a house of stone. I then had to surround the house with a bawn (stone wall). I was allowed to rent parts of the land and have some Irish tenants. My new home in Ulster was a large 2-storey stone and timber house and the roof was made of slate. The chimney was built of red brick and my house was very different from the houses of the native Irish, which were much smaller and had thatch roofs.

I began to farm the land that I was given and I had to clear large areas of forest and drain the land. I began to grow lots of crops and one of these crops, potatoes, was new to the area. I also surrounded my land with lots of fences and ditches.

I often visit the local town called Enniskillen because lots of people from my native land of Scotland have settled there. Many different craftsmen live there so I go there to buy tools and to have repairs done. The town was specially planned and it has wide, straight streets. There is a central Square and important buildings such as the Court House, Market House and Presbyterian Church are all located there. Markets are held in the town every Friday. When I go there I notice that nearly everyone speaks English now and the English system of law is now the law of the land.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Msrebeckyxo

Samdublinn wrote: »
    Also found the Ulster Plantation person one:

(iii) A settler who received land during a named Plantation

My name is John Henderson and I was born in Scotland. I belong to the local Presbyterian Church. I have always been very loyal to the King and because of that I came to settle in Ulster in 1622. The reason I came was because I was a Servitor and that means I used to be a soldier in the King’s army. The King owed me money for my services to the country. For payment I was given a 1000-acre estate in County Fermanagh.

When I came to Ulster I had to follow certain very important rules. I had to pay a rent of £8 per year and I had to build a house of stone. I then had to surround the house with a bawn (stone wall). I was allowed to rent parts of the land and have some Irish tenants. My new home in Ulster was a large 2-storey stone and timber house and the roof was made of slate. The chimney was built of red brick and my house was very different from the houses of the native Irish, which were much smaller and had thatch roofs.

I began to farm the land that I was given and I had to clear large areas of forest and drain the land. I began to grow lots of crops and one of these crops, potatoes, was new to the area. I also surrounded my land with lots of fences and ditches.

I often visit the local town called Enniskillen because lots of people from my native land of Scotland have settled there. Many different craftsmen live there so I go there to buy tools and to have repairs done. The town was specially planned and it has wide, straight streets. There is a central Square and important buildings such as the Court House, Market House and Presbyterian Church are all located there. Markets are held in the town every Friday. When I go there I notice that nearly everyone speaks English now and the English system of law is now the law of the land.

there's some good ones here that i found, Lemass is there too but there's Columbus and Luther (not sure if theyll come up last year though!) Just scroll down that page :)http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2055835050/60

there's some good ones here that i found, Lemass is there too but there's Columbus and Luther (not sure if theyll come up last year though!) Just scroll down that page :)

Can't seem to see it :(

• Advertisement

Samdublinn wrote: »
    Can't seem to see it :(

its towards the very bottom of the page and its one big post by a user :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It's great if you can learn off answers that long, but they're all WAY over what you need to get full marks.

Got it thanks! :)

spurious wrote: »
    It's great if you can learn off answers that long, but they're all WAY over what you need to get full marks.

Just 10 points is enough right?

is there any websites, that you know of, that would have key points for some PIH?

There are also some posts on page 18 of this thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=66431955

is there any websites, that you know of, that would have key points for some PIH?

The marks are 20 per answer - 16 - made up of 8 SRSs at 2 marks each and then there is an overall mark of between 0 and 4.
    If you have 8 SRSs you will get the full 4 overall marks.

SRS - significant relevant statement.

edit**sorry I misunderstood.
    See the thread I linked to above and count the number of statements in each answer. You will see that most of them are way above the 8 needed.

You only need 8 points to get full marks in PiH, right?
    Most of the ones I've learned of have like 20..

The marks are 20 per answer - 16 - made up of 8 SRSs at 2 marks each and then there is an overall mark of between 0 and 4.
    If you have 8 SRSs you will get the full 4 overall marks.

SRS - significant relevant statement.

edit**sorry I misunderstood.
    See the thread I linked to above and count the number of statements in each answer. You will see that most of them are way above the 8 needed.

thanks very much! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭MangoMachine

Learning the history course the night before is proving more difficult than expected...

• Advertisement

Learning the history course the night before is proving more difficult than expected...

completely understand you hahahah, there's great notes on skoool.ie!

I'd revise short questions if you can, handy way to pick up 20 marks.

Liordi wrote: »

The corrector will mark them all, but you get no more marks after 8 SRSs. It's always useful to have a couple of extra ones, but correcting three long pages of statements for a 20 marks answer gets tiresome after a while.

The corrector will mark them all, but you get no more marks after 8 SRSs. It's always useful to have a couple of extra ones, but correcting three long pages of statements for a 20 marks answer gets tiresome after a while.

If I had 10 SRS, but only got half way through the person's life, would I still get full marks?

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭koolis02

Do you only need to know one revolution and plantation in detail?

koolis02 wrote: »
    Do you only need to know one revolution and plantation in detail?

people are predicting the revolutions will come up for Q5 as it hasn't come up in years but i don't know! Learn say the causes/effects of one of the Revs

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Fwiz

Yep, 8 points. They have 20 to ensure full marks, it's safer to learn all 20 and pick the ones you remember!

If I had 10 SRS, but only got half way through the person's life, would I still get full marks?

Yes, you could sum up quickly in a few lines at the end. Very few people spent their whole life doing important things. Most are more active in early, middle or later life. Concentrate on the important stuff.

Michelangelo painted the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel in Rome, rather than Michelangelo broke some bloke's nose in a fight.

Yes, you could sum up quickly in a few lines at the end. Very few people spent their whole life doing important things. Most are more active in early, middle or later life. Concentrate on the important stuff.

Michelangelo painted the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel in Rome, rather than Michelangelo broke some bloke's nose in a fight.

The answers I pm'ed you, was there anything I should just completely take out?

• Advertisement

The answers I pm'ed you, was there anything I should just completely take out?

No, leave them as they are. You have well over the required amount and you will have plenty of time in History. Don't stress yourself by trying to edit them now.

Advertisement