Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

****Leaving Certificate Chemistry [All Levels] Before and After Discussion****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 rocco123

Wanderer41 wrote: »
    Thanks a million, I really appreciate it :)

I think it says in the marking schemes that other answers are acceptable if they are correct, as in not all answers are listed. However I think for definitions especially you have to have the bold text.

Yeah I suppose, but say for a question on rates of reaction on one of recent years, making schemes more collisions are effective if I say more effective collisions will I get the marks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭MacBizzle

Anyone else want the DEB paper?

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Wanderer41

rocco123 wrote: »
    Yeah I suppose, but say for a question on rates of reaction on one of recent years, making schemes more collisions are effective if I say more effective collisions will I get the marks?

I expect so, yes. Try not to worry about it. If you have the correct answer you will get the marks. At the beginning of the marking scheme it says that the answers provided are not the only answers acceptable. Just be careful for definitions but your example about rates should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Murky013

For exp, it's either %water of crystallization, iron tablets or vinegar titration.

For organic its either ethylene, ethanal or ethanoic acid one

That's my gut feeling imho

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭little sis...

I was feeling ok about chemistry before I read some of the posts here o_O
    Murky013 wrote: »
    For exp, it's either %water of crystallization, iron tablets or vinegar titration.

For organic its either ethylene, ethanal or ethanoic acid one

That's my gut feeling imho

Ethylene?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Murky013

Ethylene?

Sorry I meant ethyne. Feckin' autocorrect. :P

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

World Cup 2 - 0 Chemistry study :/

What I meant abotu the biology is the biology paper was different to all the other years this year. None of the usual topics and strong emphasis on lesser stuff.

Imagine a paper this year with no atomic theory as q5 etc. :/ (sorry for scaring some of ye)

marno21 wrote: »
    World Cup 2 - 0 Chemistry study :/

What I meant abotu the biology is the biology paper was different to all the other years this year. None of the usual topics and strong emphasis on lesser stuff.

Imagine a paper this year with no atomic theory as q5 etc. :/ (sorry for scaring some of ye)

Please stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭little sis...

Why does everyone think it will all go wrong THIS year?
    Who cares if another person is setting it? It's hardly going to have some dramatically different layout and question types.
    Why don't we all get excited about the fact it may well be a lovely paper :D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

My apologies for the negativity :p

I won't say what I was going to say next

Easy experiment questions, 3 atomic theory, 2 fuels + heats of reaction + 2 water anyone? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭accountname

MacBizzle wrote: »
    Anyone else want the DEB paper?

If you don't mind? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭WoolyAbyss

Do we need to know the diagrams for the organic experiments or do they always give them?
    The ethanal and ethanoic acid ones would be horrible to draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Soapndglory

WoolyAbyss wrote: »
    Do we need to know the diagrams for the organic experiments or do they always give them?
    The ethanal and ethanoic acid ones would be horrible to draw.

Yes you have to be able to draw all the apparatus cus they can ask on it and it'll be worth a fair few marks! My teacher has drilled us to be able to draw them in under 4 minutes!!

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭plmko

Could anyone explain the heat of neutralisation experiment with HCl and NaOH please? I know it came up last year but just incase it appears in Section B.

What's the timing for Chemistry? Twenty mins per question or..?

plmko wrote: »

22 and a half minutes per question if you want to get 8 done.

20 per question and you'll get 9 done, which I'll be doing because I'm bound to mess up one question :p

22 mins per question. You'll probably find you get them done quicker than this, so you should have plenty of time for an extra question :)

For the HCl and NaOH, just know the formula for it and the units you have to convert the figures to. If they ask it in Section B I'd only see them asking a calculation for it

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭plmko

For the HCl and NaOH, just know the formula for it and the units you have to convert the figures to. If they ask it in Section B I'd only see them asking a calculation for it

Thanks! And how do you do the calculations?

Thanks! And how do you do the calculations?

Formula is; heat= m * c * (t2-t1)
    where m = mass in kg
    c= specific heat capacity of solution given in the question
    and t2-t1 is the difference in the temperatures
    Just sub in all them and you'll get your heat in kJ/mol

'Tis a dirty calculation but as you said, it came up last year so I wouldn't worry too much about it :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Formula is; heat= m * c * (t2-t1)
    where m = mass in kg
    c= specific heat capacity of solution given in the question
    and t2-t1 is the difference in the temperatures
    Just sub in all them and you'll get your heat in kJ/mol

'Tis a dirty calculation but as you said, it came up last year so I wouldn't worry too much about it :P

It was on pre for heats of reaction question . If you do physics then the mc delta t thing is so easy:P

Are potassium iodate and potassium iodide the same thing? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Ompala

Are potassium iodate and potassium iodide the same thing? :confused:

Nope, Potassium Iodate is KI03 while potassium iodide is KI.
    -ate is used in the naming of things that contain oxygen e.g iron sulfate FeSO4

Ompala wrote: »
    Nope, Potassium Iodate is KI03 while potassium iodide is KI.
    -ate is used in the naming of things that contain oxygen e.g iron sulfate FeSO4

Think we must have skipped an experiment so, or else I just wasn't listening... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Ompala

Think we must have skipped an experiment so, or else I just wasn't listening... :rolleyes:

Off the top of my head, isn't potassium iodide used in the winkler method for determining dissolved oxygen?

Ompala wrote: »
    Off the top of my head, isn't potassium iodide used in the winkler method for determining dissolved oxygen?

Yep, alkaline KI and manganese sulfate I think :p

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭JDOC1996

Predictions ?

JDOC1996 wrote: »
    Predictions ?

What can we really predict? Chemistry doesn't change much, all I've heard is soap being tipped, and the Hach test kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 wafture

Hach test kit?

wafture wrote: »
    Hach test kit?

You might have done the colorimeter, it's the free chlorine experiment in the water chapter.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭TooMuchStudy

What are the chances of a gas question coming up this year?

• Advertisement

What are the chances of a gas question coming up this year?

Don't they come up every year in some shape or form?

Advertisement