Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

****Leaving Certificate Chemistry [All Levels] Before and After Discussion****

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 craig9614

I'm doing ordinary level and was wondering what to study over the week end .. Any predictions let me know, cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭TooMuchStudy

MacBizzle wrote: »
    Don't they come up every year in some shape or form?

I have no idea, done no exam paper work and don't have my exam papers with me ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭plmko

Could someone please clarify for me what is the colour change at the endpoint of the KMnO4 and ammonium iron II sulfate titration? My book is very confusing about it.

First they say it's faint permanent pink to permanent pink (as in it got darker which makes sense as KMnO4 is a strong purple colour) and then they say it went faint permanent pink to faint pink.

How did it suddenly change from permanent to non-permanent?

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭jellytots95

plmko wrote: »
    Could someone please clarify for me what is the colour change at the endpoint of the KMnO4 and ammonium iron II sulfate titration? My book is very confusing about it.

First they say it's faint permanent pink to permanent pink (as in it got darker which makes sense as KMnO4 is a strong purple colour) and then they say it went faint permanent pink to faint pink.

Is it not colourless to faint permanent pink?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭MacBizzle

That's what I thought.

What book is it plmko? :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I have no idea, done no exam paper work and don't have my exam papers with me ðŸ˜
    They're on examinations.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭TooMuchStudy

They're on examinations.ie

I know but in the exam papers they have each year certain topics come up and I don't have time to be looking through the previous exams to see what came up and what havent :p

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭WoolyAbyss

Can someone tell me what chemical equations I actually have to learn?
    Like do I need to learn the one in the chapters themselves our just the experiments?

That's what I thought.

What book is it plmko? :p

Chemistry Live by Kennedy

Deccie the mad man.

Colourless to faint permanent pink is the answer. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭AtomicKoala

I think I'll have nightmares about "stay tuned for part (iv)!", and "in case you lie in bed awake at night thinking about this".

Mad fellow.

I think I'll have nightmares about "stay tuned for part (iv)!", and "in case you lie in bed awake at night thinking about this".

Mad fellow.

This experiment is really for the thrill seekers!!!!

Mad fellow.

Omg I love those little unnecessary comments too! Mad mad madddd fleaaa

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭AtomicKoala

This experiment is really for the thrill seekers!!!!

Omg how could I forget!

He's the type who'll get a massive heart attack doing a marathon or something, I've no doubt about it! :pac:

Omg how could I forget!

He's the type who'll get a massive heart attack doing a marathon or something, I've no doubt about it! :pac:

Ah he's some legend!! We need an appreciation thread somewhere! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭TheBegotten

Ah he's some legend!! We need an appreciation thread somewhere! :pac:

I met him once or twice. Sound fella, nice firm handshake. He was wearing a dark red tie if I remember correctly, which surprised me as I had him pinned as a man who liked the colour blue. Mad c*nt all round really, puts the fun into fundamental principles of particle collisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Omg I love those little unnecessary comments too! Mad mad madddd fleaaa

Hahahs .i met him in real life at a chemistry quiz a couple of weeks ago .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

I met him once or twice. Sound fella, nice firm handshake. He was wearing a dark red tie if I remember correctly, which surprised me as I had him pinned as a man who liked the colour blue. Mad c*nt all round really, puts the fun into fundamental principles of particle collisions.

He has various science ties as well . My chem teacher said he was one of the lecturers when she was in college and he always wore a different science tie :P one for every occasion .

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭jellytots95

EoghanIRL wrote: »

Me too! 😃

EoghanIRL wrote: »

Extremely jealous of ye. Perhaps I shiuld change this thread to Declan Kennedy appreciation thread?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭BauBau19

Is anyone able to read the predictions off your man's video on youtube? I can see the main topics but can't see the rest. Is there a file attached somewhere that I can't see ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

A permanent pink colour in a manganate(VII) titration is the endpoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭eefah

BauBau19 wrote: »
    Is anyone able to read the predictions off your man's video on youtube? I can see the main topics but can't see the rest. Is there a file attached somewhere that I can't see ?

if ya pause it, preditction 1-13 is up on the screen, and predictions 14 and 15 are in brackets after predictions 4 and 5
    its weirdly laid out but the point is that they're in order of importance anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭A7XGirl

Is it a good idea to leave out the whole oxidation and reduction chapter? 5 re-reads and I still cannot get my head around it.

A7XGirl wrote: »
    Is it a good idea to leave out the whole oxidation and reduction chapter? 5 re-reads and I still cannot get my head around it.

It usually only comes up as a small part of a question, I'm not too big a fan of it either.

The OILRIG mnemonic actually helps a lot (Oxidation Is Loss (of electrons) Reduction Is Gain (of electrons)).

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭BauBau19

eefah wrote: »
    if ya pause it, preditction 1-13 is up on the screen, and predictions 14 and 15 are in brackets after predictions 4 and 5
    its weirdly laid out but the point is that they're in order of importance anyway.

Got most of that.. would you be able to tell me the experiments as I can't make it out at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭A7XGirl

Does anyone know a mnemonic for the flame test?

A7XGirl wrote: »
    Does anyone know a mnemonic for the flame test?

Yeah wouldn't mind one of those and any other mnemonics ye know

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Ross31011

Chemistry is by far my worst subject and I think I could fail. I got 32% higher level in the pre exams. Really worried because I have an awful teacher that I never did anything with. What do you think is the best stuff to study for easy marks or if you just want to pass?

• Advertisement

Ross31011 wrote: »
    Chemistry is by far my worst subject and I think I could fail. I got 32% higher level in the pre exams. Really worried because I have an awful teacher that I never did anything with. What do you think is the best stuff to study for easy marks or if you just want to pass?

Learn all the titrations, soap, the rates of reaction experiments, atomic theory, history and trends. That would probably get 5 questions covered for you :)

Advertisement