Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

****Leaving Certificate Chemistry [All Levels] Before and After Discussion****

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Julius Seizure

MacBizzle wrote: »
    Or you can just do rise over run, doesn't really matter. :)

They're the same thing no? Rise is the difference in heights (y2-y1) and run is x2-x1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭MacBizzle

They're the same thing no? Rise is the difference in heights (y2-y1) and run is x2-x1

Yes they are, but rise over the run is quicker than plotting points and all that :p

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭booblefoop

Yes they are, but rise over the run is quicker than plotting points and all that :p

But how do you find rise over run without plotting points?

booblefoop wrote: »
    But how do you find rise over run without plotting points?

I just count it, thinking about it now I've just been doing it the same way without realising it :o

I just count it, thinking about it now I've just been doing it the same way without realising it :o

Yeah, same method, just different names :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭little sis...

What is it exactly that we need to know about chromotography?

Anyone know? :rolleyes:

Not me, please tell us someone :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭chatterboxxx95

Eh what it is
    A seperation technique in which a mobile phase moves in contact with a selectively absorbant (may be adsorbant, not sure) stationary phase and seperation is brought about by different components in the mixture having different interactions with the mobile and stationary phases

-how to carry out one type of chromatography (eg the jc paper chromatography)

-how Gas Chromatography works

-How high perfornance liquid chromatography works

• Registered Users Posts: 20 deadpixel

Seems fairly skippable to be honest, never really liked it as a topic so I think I'll steer clear. Nice thing with chemistry is the decent amount of choice on the paper, especially if you do 3 experiments.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

I'm going for the following first three questions in tomorrow's paper.

Q1 - Ammonium Iron(II) Sulfate-Potassium Manganate(VII) Titration
    Q2 - Preparation of Soap
    Q3 - Decomposition of Hydrogen Peroxide (Rates) using Manganese Dioxide

I teach Chemistry btw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭BauBau19

Q2 - Preparation of Soap

Hmm. Hopefully something like that. Don't really like the Ammonium Iron one :(.

I got 70% in the mocks but I knew the topics coming up... absolutely dreading it now.

Q2 - Preparation of Soap

This would be lovely. I hope to get full marks on the experiment questions, doing all 3 of them.

I have all of organic to revise now for the next 3 hours :( I hate question 8.

Eh what it is
    A seperation technique in which a mobile phase moves in contact with a selectively absorbant (may be adsorbant, not sure) stationary phase and seperation is brought about by different components in the mixture having different interactions with the mobile and stationary phases

Do we need to know anything about the other methods of carrying out the expt?

My definitions for it is : a separation of a mixture of components based on their relative attractions for a stationary phase and/or a mobile phase.
    I just learned it off from the marking scheme so hopefully that will always be accepted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

Has anyone's teacher given them predictions for the experiments or even just a few to focus on that are likely? Our teacher is fairly useless…

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭plmko

Am I the only leaving cert who absolutely loves origanic chemistry?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 CiaraMT

Eh what it is

I think its adsorbent :)

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭A7XGirl

plmko wrote: »
    Am I the only leaving cert who absolutely loves origanic chemistry?
    I know right! It's the only part that comes easy to me

Are we meant to know VSEPR theory for molecules with double bonds?

A7XGirl wrote: »
    I know right! It's the only part that comes easy to me

Damnnn ;) that cyclic bromium ion ;)

Most definitely;

Examples include water and ammonia. Water being v shaped and ammonia being pyramidal due to the double bonds which push down the single bonds.

Most definitely;

Examples include water and ammonia. Water being v shaped and ammonia being pyramidal due to the double bonds which push down the single bonds.

Water and ammonia have single bonds? :confused: are you thinking of lone pairs and bond pairs maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭football girl

Don't leave out any experiments as they could give a mixed question like last year! Caught a lot of us out

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭accountname

Quick question; for the calculations on the auld titrations, if they give us three figures for volume, do we always discount the first as a rough titration and get the mean of the other two?

Quick question; for the calculations on the auld titrations, if they give us three figures for volume, do we always discount the first as a rough titration and get the mean of the other two?

Yes.

Water and ammonia have single bonds? :confused: are you thinking of lone pairs and bond pairs maybe?

Christ you're right I'm so sorry! What was your original question?

Christ you're right I'm so sorry! What was your original question?

You're grand :pac:

Do we need to know VSEPR theory for molecules with double bonds? Like CO2 and stuff? :p

Never even crossed my mind. So I guess not :P

• Registered Users Posts: 14 BlueCat01

For ordinary level chemistry, what organics groups and isomers do we need to know?
    Our teacher taught us all higher level and never differentiated between higher and ordinary!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Julius Seizure

BlueCat01 wrote: »
    For ordinary level chemistry, what organics groups and isomers do we need to know?
    Our teacher taught us all higher level and never differentiated between higher and ordinary!

Here's the link to the syllabus. It's a PDF direct download by the way https://www.education.ie/en/Schools-Colleges/Information/Curriculum-and-Syllabus/Senior-Cycle-/Syllabuses-and-Guidelines/lc_chemistry_sy.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭robman60

Hi guys,

I'm going to have to cram desperately tonight, as I've neglected this subject completely.

If you were to advise me to study four experiments, what would they be? What other sections should I definitely cover in the limited time I have left? I'm definitely not doing Q8 so anything besides that.

Thanks!

• Advertisement

robman60 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I'm going to have to cram desperately tonight, as I've neglected this subject completely.

If you were to advise me to study four experiments, what would they be? What other sections should I definitely cover in the limited time I have left? I'm definitely not doing Q8 so anything besides that.

Thanks!

Definitely learn your titration method/calculations as they'll be pretty much the same no matter what the question, and one comes up every year.

Advertisement