Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***JC 2014 History - Wed. June 11th 2014 - all levels***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭i am awsome

Such a good paper! Did the first booklet and filled two more booklets.Wrote 20.A4 pages :D..I didnt do this account but what did the 1913 Strike thing invole because I thought I knew all the accounts that were possibe in 6 (c)..Expecting 100 is there any prize for that? How.much did others write?

There is no prise, but for the Junior Cert if you get over 95% in anything, they announce your school and tell you the percentage.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭smiles_1998

For writting an account on a crisis between the USA and the USSR, would the Berlin Blockade be accepted?
    Yep :) at least it better be! But our teacher told us that the three Cold War crises are the Berlin Blockade, the Korean War and the Cuban Missile Crisis so I think we are covered. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 niamhy505

Wait, King Ferdinand and Queen Isabella were from Spain :( nevermind, i am wrong haha

• Registered Users Posts: 20 laurap123

For writting an account on a crisis between the USA and the USSR, would the Berlin Blockade be accepted?

yeah because it was between stalin and the western allies so thats usa vs ussr!

ECM1234 wrote: »
    Yeah, it is a crisis :L

oh thanks Jesus! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭yaEHya

OK I didn't answer that question anyways Lucky I didn't I suppose haha

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Beca19

There is no prise, but for the Junior Cert if you get over 95% in anything, they announce your school and tell you the percentage.

Has that actually happened to people in your school?:O

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Robert Kennedy

Was it just me or were the picture in section 1 the hardest.What evidence was there that this new method was better or something?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Correctors are asked to point out anyone getting full marks. Never heard of it happening for anything less than the full 180.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Lebensraum

When the reign of terror came up, i was sooo happy.

same lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 niamhy505

Was it just me or were the picture in section 1 the hardest.What evidence was there that this new method was better or something?

In the first method, scattering seeds by hand was time consuming, also the seeds were spread unevenly and when they sprouted they would be growing all over the place (making them hard to tend to)

Second method was easier as all of the seeds were sewn in a line, making them easy to tend to when they sprouted and wasted less time, seeds and energy :)

Beca19 wrote: »
    Has that actually happened to people in your school?:O

Yep, TY this year when they got their results, 2 got like 99 in science and were called in the office and were congratulated and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Liordi

spurious wrote: »
    Correctors are asked to point out anyone getting full marks. Never heard of it happening for anything less than the full 180.

What did you make of the paper?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭MangoMachine

ECM1234 wrote: »
    Spanish....

I wrote about Da Gama, Diaz and Henry the Navigator also. Will I lose marks for Columbus?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭ECM1234

I wrote about Da Gama, Diaz and Henry the Navigator also. Will I lose marks for Columbus?

Maybe a few, not too many

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭VG31

Remember, there's no negative marking. You will not be deducted marks for incorrect statements, you will just get no marks for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭roisiny

You don't sound like much of a farmer anyhow ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 cabello

That paper was lovely :) I had a bit of a panic 20 minutes before the end of the exam checking over q4 and realising i had done a factory worker instead of owner, but I just had to tweak a few things, panic averted. Question 6 was beautiful! I did D first and then was stuck between doing A or C because I knew mostly everything for both but ended up doing A because it seemed more fun. God that sounds weird calling history fun but I actually really liked that paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Xgracie

cabello wrote: »
    God that sounds weird calling history fun but I actually really liked that paper.

I thought French was fun! I think it's too many exams hahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 2 dalydf

Did anyone do question Q.6 (b) social changes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Liordi

dalydf wrote: »
    Did anyone do question Q.6 (b) social changes?

Think a couple of people I know did, but they didn't have answers prepared, just didn't want to do the other questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 cabello

Xgracie wrote: »
    I thought French was fun! I think it's too many exams hahaha

oh yeah actually i liked the French one too! Probably haha pretty sure i'm going a bit delirious from the amount of exams, not even stressed anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Xgracie

cabello wrote: »
    oh yeah actually i liked the French one too! Probably haha pretty sure i'm going a bit delirious from the amount of exams, not even stressed anymore

Same here!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 orlanda

Oh noooooo just realised I wrote about a factory worker not owner, why why why did they change it??? will I lose loads of marks and I wrote loads??

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Euphoric

I thought the short questions were more difficult than usual, in comparison to the previous short questions in the years before.
    I also thought being asked to write as a factory owner and not a factory worker, along with having to write about being a Gaelic person whom lost land, and not gained one was also quite odd. There was one particular short question I believe they didn't cover in the books or anywhere else and that was related to the Weimar Republic leaders in Germany being referred to as "November Criminals" or something along those lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 orlanda

Yes definately made some little tweeks here and there and short ques were harder and a lot hadn't been on previous papers to my recollection.

Euphoric wrote: »
    There was one particular short question I believe they didn't cover in the books or anywhere else and that was related to the Weimar Republic leaders in Germany being referred to as "November Criminals" or something along those lines.

That was an unfair question alright. I know a lot about WWII (always watching documentaries and reading books on it) but I didn't know the answer to that. That was one of the two short questions I didn't answer.

It really doesn't make a big different whether they ask owner or worker as the only difference is in the first sentence you say; "(Insert name) was the owner/a worker in a (insert type) factory".

EDIT: For anyone wondering about the November criminals question: http://europeanhistory.about.com/od/germanyandprussia/a/The-November-Criminals.htm

Fifii wrote: »
    Was the answer to that something like they had been stabbed in the back when the signed the Treaty of Versailles?I agree that there were a few questions that were very weird:/

I found out what it was, check above. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭MissCupcake

Euphoric wrote: »
    I thought the short questions were more difficult than usual, in comparison to the previous short questions in the years before.
    I also thought being asked to write as a factory owner and not a factory worker, along with having to write about being a Gaelic person whom lost land, and not gained one was also quite odd. There was one particular short question I believe they didn't cover in the books or anywhere else and that was related to the Weimar Republic leaders in Germany being referred to as "November Criminals" or something along those lines.

it was in my history textbook

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭danm14

Now I did the higher level paper today, but I had a look at the ordinary paper on the Commission's website there out of interest, and one question on it actually confuses me, and I'll be thinking about it till i get an answer :/

Question:
    Give one reason why you think Mrs. Fennelly might have been identified as 36 years old in 1901 and 49 years old ten years later.

The source was a census document, the relevant lines being:

Name Age Relation Occupation Irish language Marital status
    1911: Mary Fennelly 49 Head of Family Farmer No Widow

1901: Mary Fennelly 36 Wife - No Married

Advertisement