Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***JC 2014 History - Wed. June 11th 2014 - all levels***

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Liordi

danm14 wrote: »
    Question:
    Give one reason why you think Mrs. Fennelly might have been identified as 36 years old in 1901 and 49 years old ten years later.

The initial records may have been wrong as she was unmarried, she may not have had much legal documents?
    Also could've been a different Mrs. Fennelly?

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭danm14

Liordi wrote: »
    The initial records may have been wrong as she was unmarried, she may not have had much legal documents?
    Also could've been a different Mrs. Fennelly?

She was married - the 'no' related to Irish Language
    The two mrs fennelly's were definitely the same, the head of family had disappeared from the records (presumably died) and she was widowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 beccatw

I just realised I only did one of the exploration accounts :0 :/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Now I did the higher level paper today, but I had a look at the ordinary paper on the Commission's website there out of interest, and one question on it actually confuses me, and I'll be thinking about it till i get an answer :/

Question:
    Give one reason why you think Mrs. Fennelly might have been identified as 36 years old in 1901 and 49 years old ten years later.

The source was a census document, the relevant lines being:

Name Age Relation Occupation Irish language Marital status
    1911: Mary Fennelly 49 Head of Family Farmer No Widow

1901: Mary Fennelly 36 Wife - No Married

The old age pension was being introduced and she was planning ahead.

She genuinely was not sure of her age.

I know hers went up, but in some cases they went down too. She could have wanted to remarry and 'adjusted' her age. My grandmother told me of witnessing women tearing out pages of the church baptismal book to hide their age.

A number of possibilities.

**that's a really good question, btw, that would sort out those who had actually studied social history. I like it.

spurious wrote: »

**that's a really good question, btw, that would sort out those who had actually studied social history. I like it.

Bit hard for OL, though?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Bit hard for OL, though?

It's almost more an ESS question, where many of them would have done a fair bit of work on the census for their research project, but if a History teacher has covered social history with them it shouldn't be too hard, even for OL.

The honours answer would have been about the pension, but the pass one about not knowing her age was equally valid.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Gerrymandering reborn

I think I did pretty well. Hoping for an A

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Scrublord420

I think I did pretty well. Hoping for an A

Haha gl well im only hoping for a C

It's almost more an ESS question, where many of them would have done a fair bit of work on the census for their research project, but if a History teacher has covered social history with them it shouldn't be too hard, even for OL.

The honours answer would have been about the pension, but the pass one about not knowing her age was equally valid.

Ah, our teacher didn't do social change with us at all because we wouldn't be doing 6B.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Gerrymandering reborn

Ah, our teacher didn't do social change with us at all because we wouldn't be doing 6B.

Same here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭danm14

The old age pension was being introduced and she was planning ahead.

She genuinely was not sure of her age.

I know hers went up, but in some cases they went down too. She could have wanted to remarry and 'adjusted' her age. My grandmother told me of witnessing women tearing out pages of the church baptismal book to hide their age.

A number of possibilities.

Yeah, our teacher didn't touch social change (or Northern Ireland or Ireland after 1939 or any of the parts after World War 2 (the ones where you study one of three)). That could have something to do with me not being able to do that and me higher level..... Is it common that schools don't cover large sections of the course? We were working up until the very last day of the year, quite literally

Thank you, spurious, by the way, I was wondering why for a long time :P

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭roisiny

Yeah, our teacher didn't touch social change (or Northern Ireland or Ireland after 1939 or any of the parts after World War 2 (the ones where you study one of three)). That could have something to do with me not being able to do that and me higher level..... Is it common that schools don't cover large sections of the course? We were working up until the very last day of the year, quite literally

We stopped after Korean War, but she touched social change just saying "if youre gonna be dumb and do B then look at least pages" sort of thing. But other classes in our school only did the Irish rev and skipped the other 2 (dumb idea I think) Then another class as an absolutely brutal teacher who gave up on them half way through the year and APPARENTLY they barely got to WW2.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Xgracie

We did everything expect social change and were done the course in March! I had a great teacher tho

Xgracie wrote: »
    We did everything expect social change and were done the course in March! I had a great teacher tho

You really could spend the whole year doing social change, but then you'd get nothing else covered. I'm a big fan of it I must say, but the best way to do it is through projects and research within the students' own families. Much easier for them to remember when it's personal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭VG31

We got the course done in May but we didn't do social change. My teacher strongly advised against doing it.

VG31 wrote: »
    We got the course done in May but we didn't do social change. My teacher strongly advised against doing it.

It's very hard to get good marks in, though the answers from people who have actually covered it shine out through the spoofers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 maire.99xx

I did social change..starting to get nervous now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Beca19

Our teacher actually advised us to do social change hahah

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭gavindowd

I thought it was okay but I was a bit annoyed that I had to do Q6 A as I didn't know the road to war of Mussolini that well. Also I have no idea how I did in the people in history. I had learnt a planter, not someone who lost land... I'll just hope for the best :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭VG31

I don't see how a factory owner instead of worker / someone who lost land instead of receiving it makes any difference! You only have to change a few words of your answer. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

Our teacher did great work for us on WW2, we had done it inside out. But, as a result, Irish history was neglected a small bit (maybe we spent September to Christmas on WW2 and maybe Christmas to Easter on Irish History, and after that constant revision),

We only did enough social change so we could have a rough idea of some of the topics, should they come up in the pictures or documents etc.

She prepared us well to answer Q6A and either Q6C or Q6D. I did A and D, as did most people, some people did A and C and even one lad in our class attempted both Irish and European history in Q6.

We were in no fit state to do Social change in Q6 whatsoever, but still a concerning number of people in my class went with it, along with Q6A, because "the social change looked handier than European"

• Registered Users Posts: 2 E_C3347

I wrote the people in history for a mine WORKER? It was two pages long but some of the points would have been the same for the mine owner so should I get some of the marks?

E_C3347 wrote: »
    I wrote the people in history for a mine WORKER? It was two pages long but some of the points would have been the same for the mine owner so should I get some of the marks?

Yes.
    Since so many people seem to have not read the question properly, they may change the marking scheme and allow a proportion of marks for the 'wrong' answer. It's up to the SEC though, since you could have someone who did read the question properly, knew the mine owner but chose an answer they were maybe less prepared for instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 E_C3347

But most of my points would have been included in the owner people in history eg. I spoke about how the miners were treated by their owners, how much the owner paid them, and I spoke about the inventors such as the Davy Lamp... So would I pick up some marks from them?

E_C3347 wrote: »
    But most of my points would have been included in the owner people in history eg. I spoke about how the miners were treated by their owners, how much the owner paid them, and I spoke about the inventors such as the Davy Lamp... So would I pick up some marks from them?

Yes you would.

Advertisement