Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mathematics in DIT?

• 10-06-2014 6:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

I've put down both maths courses in DIT on my cao and I'm just wondering what its like?
    Is the work intensive?
    Whats kevin street like?
    Whats the atmosphere like?
    etc.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Hi there ,

Ive just finished my part time degree in Maths in DIT and know of the full time course quite well.

The work is , like any other science degree ...busy but doable if you give time to doing your tutorial sheets . Continuous assessments are a great way of feeling confident for end of semester exams so be sure to tackle them head on as if they were the 100% test. The library has some great maths books to get some practice from.

Kevin street is decent enough place , a fairly outdated building but it does the job.
    Class sizes would be roughly around 30-40 .All the lecturers that I had where very approachable . Not like in UCD from past experience myself.

You have the option after 3rd year to transfer to UCD , Trinity or Maynooth to continue your level 8 , but they make you do another 2 years ( so as if you only just completed 2nd year) , I know 2 people who did this ... but yeah , wouldnt be for everyone .

Though I wouldnt have done all the modules you will be doing , i know the material for a good portion of them , especially the 1st year modules.

If youd like to get a head start at some of the stuff over the summer , PM me and i'll try give ya tips of what to look at.

Otherwise best of Luck with the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 a little sliceof lemon

Thanks very much for the reply! Very informative.

However as you said with stuff to look over the summer, is there any college level maths books I can get that would give me a good head start in most of the subjects I'll be studying like algebra, statistics, calculus that you would know about?

thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Thanks very much for the reply! Very informative.

However as you said with stuff to look over the summer, is there any college level maths books I can get that would give me a good head start in most of the subjects I'll be studying like algebra, statistics, calculus that you would know about?

thanks again

Algebra , stats and calculus , any popular books on those 3 would certainly get you going . I wouldnt really go buying any though as you will have free access to books once in DIT.

Best bet to look online for notes.

A good subject to start looking up introduction notes to online would be
    Matrices
    -basic row operations
    - reducing matrices to row echelon form
    - and how to find the inverse of a square matrix.

For discrete maths have a look at intro stuff like groups , elements euler paths , stuff like that. One-to-one and onto properties .

For stats , look at mean and standard deviations problems .

Youtube will be your best friend near exam times... Especially for matrices and calculus . Where there are some great examples on there.

Don't worry if you cant get your head around problems before starting your course , recognizing terms and definitions even will really help you take stuff in quicker in the end.

One book that i did get when i started is Maths 1001 by Richard Elwes . Picked it up in Easons and it would actually be the perfect thing to look at over the summer, the subjects i posted above are all briefly mentioned in. Has some 2nd and even 3 year stuff in it too so dont get a shock when you look at it first.
    Well recommend it.

Hope that helps,

Ian

• Registered Users Posts: 17 a little sliceof lemon

Perfect! Thanks very much :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Bwianoo14

Hi Guys, would anyone know a tutor for a Management Science module?

• Advertisement
Advertisement