If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jamo S 606 HCS3 & Marantz NR 1604

Options
  • 10-06-2014 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi,
    I've been looking to upgrade our sound here and I'm thinking of getting these:

Jamo S 606 HCS3 apple wood (or something similar in that price range, I do like the wood look of these though)
    and 
    Marantz NR 1604 black (or something similar, it has to be slim as it won't fit under the TV otherwise)

Could you please let me know if these are available and what they'd cost?
    Thanks!
    Robin

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Dave

Hi Robin, thanks for the post.

The Jamo 606 is quite an old package and one that we no longer stock.

Was there something about that particular package that drew you to that one ?

The NR1604 would be one of the few slimline receivers that are available and is a great sounding receiver.

Let me know on the Jamo and I'll price you up a nice package.

ATB

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 28 robinvn

Thanks for your reply Dave!
    I liked the fact that they had nice bass without a subwoofer according to the reviews (as I don't really have much space for a subwoofer), I liked the looks of them (wood) and I also got the impression they offered a lot of value for the money.
    It really doesn't have to be those speakers though. If you have anything similar, I'm looking forward to your recommendations.
    Cheers,
    Robin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Dave

Hi Robin, cheers for the reply.

The built in sub woofer idea is one that doesn't really run with most manufacturers as the quality and performance of these built in subs were restricted as the cabinet is designed as a speaker cabinet and not as a subwoofer. It's a bit like a jack of all-trades and master of none. What size is the room as large floorstanders may be the wrong option.

I would suggest to go with a lifestyle package with the NR1604 as the receiver doesn't have the same guts as some of the larger receivers and tend to work much better than floorstanders but I'll give you 3 options.

Monitor Audio Mass Satellites (but not the subwooofer as the sub is large) - £299.95 - initially 5 star what hifi award winning pack at £799.95 (with the sub).

http://www.whathifi.com/review/monitor-audio-mass

Add the Cambridge Minx 200 - A very compact but punchy subwoofer.

http://www.richersounds.com/product/subwoofers/cambridge-audio/minx-x200/camb-minx-x200-blk

Total including the receiver - £859.95 delivered.

Option 2 - Marantz NR1604 with the Q acoustics 7000i package - This won a great review in What Hifi and has a small subwoofer (foot-print anyway) and has very stylish but great sounding satellites.

http://www.richersounds.com/product/speaker-packages/q-acoustics/q7000i/qaco-q7000i-5.1-blk

£1199 delivered.

or if you wanted to go the floostanding route without a subwoofer - 

Option 3 - NR1604 & Q Acoustic 2050i - http://www.whathifi.com/review/q-acoustics-2050i

These go quite low and if you set the subwoofer to "No" on the receiver, it will push the bass through the front speakers.  These are quite sensitive speakers (92dB) so they do not need a lot of power to get them going.

Combine these with the 2010i for the rear and the matching centre and you have a very nice surround system but the room woult have to be large enough to accommodate these.

Total - £999.95 delivered.

The subwoofer could always be added at a later date or if required but these speakers can produce quite a low frequency. 44Hz - 22kHz

Let me know what you make of these.

ATB

Dave

Hi Dave, many thanks for your reply! Let me look into those and I'll get back to you asap.
    Cheers,
    Robin

• Company Representative Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

robinvn wrote: »
    Hi Dave, many thanks for your reply! Let me look into those and I'll get back to you asap.
    Cheers,
    Robin
    Hi Robinvn.

No problem at all.

Just drop us a line when you are ready :)

• Advertisement

Had the chance to discuss it here and I still like the idea of the floorstanding speakers. We're also talking about moving though, so I'm going to wait with the 'real' set until we have decided where we're going to live. I appreciate you coming back to me with the suggestions above though, and I'll definitely keep you in mind for the future.

• Company Representative Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

robinvn wrote: »
    Had the chance to discuss it here and I still like the idea of the floorstanding speakers. We're also talking about moving though, so I'm going to wait with the 'real' set until we have decided where we're going to live. I appreciate you coming back to me with the suggestions above though, and I'll definitely keep you in mind for the future.
    Hi Robinvn.

No problem at all. Glad we could help with your enquiry.

Good luck on the move!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.