Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling, Swapping or Wanted Watches & Timepieces *Please read rules in 1st post**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭carsfan2

I was amazed how expensive Tag have become when I looked.

I would not have placed them in the price bracket they are now in Ireland and presumably elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭893bet

They lost another 10k Rolex belonging to someone else who reported it on here last year (or the year before). A GMT master of I recall.

I had a watch serviced there before at a cost of 600 plus and had to beg for any paperwork for it.

All seems very poor.

Wouldn’t send that Jewelers a thing personally ever again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,605 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Poor service for sure. On the upside you sent in a TAG due a service - presumably with a few years on the belt - and got a new one back. So overall you shouldn't be down too much if any?

Did they reimburse you for the service cost or were you stuck with that?

I 'lost' a brand new Seiko Alpinist coming from Germany a couple of years back. Someone at AnPost distribution center took a shine to it by all indications. One day it was 'arrived at centre' next day it was 'successfully delivered' only no postman or watch ever showed up. Was some pain to get reimbursed. Dealer, DPD and Anpost all bounced it off each other trying to wriggle out of it. In the end DPD got stuck with it and they paid up but it took months and countless visits to the post office, letters, phone calls, forms to fill out, waiting... Had I given up at any point that would have been the end of it and no money back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭scott1974

Hi, I've been after a Panerai for a while and have been looking on Watchfinder but their stock is quite low. I bought a seamaster from them before and found them good.

Anyway I found the watch below on Chrono24 and just wondering what people's thoughts are. I've never bought on Chrono24 so am a little nervous..

https://www.chrono24.com/panerai/panerai-panerai-luminor-marina-1950-3-days-serviced-automatic-intl-ship-pam00312-pam312--id29586697.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 20,043 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

312 is pretty chunky, 1312 will sit better, also assume vat and customs will be levied if coming from Israel?

few decent dings in it as well but seems relatively cheap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭scott1974

Thanks, I like the display caseback with the 312. I suppose I need to try some on..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,708 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I'm happy to report that this watch has sold and to a member of the parish too 😉

It's on its way to its new owner now and as promised. I doubled the sale price to make a donation of €600 in my brother's memory to Bru Columbanus house in Cork.

Their provision of family accomodation for the month Col was in Cork allowed us to be sure that at least one of us was always close by. It's a service that you may never appreciate the need for until such a time as you need it. At a time when our family was blind sided, they made a huge part of our time in Cork far easier.

Huge thank you to the buyer, and massive appreciation for Bru Columbanus

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

Great outcome for a lovely gesture.

RIP to your brother.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Great to hear. And having lost a brother, I feel your pain. Remember to look after yourself. As I discovered , No one is invincible, it’s OK not to be OK. My PMs are always open

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

Thanks Deep Thought, that really is appreciated and it's advice that my wife is hammering home to me at the moment. The support of many on boards but particularly on this corner really is appreciated and has been a great help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,281 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Fair play on the donation

• Registered Users Posts: 65,323 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Fair play. I lost my baby sister to cancer 8 years ago, she had just turned 44. Unlike her brother (me) and sister, she had never smoked, drank very moderately and ate super healthily all her life, was thin and very fit doing lots of sports. And that's just the physical end. Mentally she always helped everyone else.

Why her is what's always ringing in my mind. You'll never get over it but you will cope

• Registered Users Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭scwazrh

I feel you there unkel. Between cancer and suicide , the why is always the hardest and never gets answered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Have lost two brothers one to suicide the other in a car crash life makes no sense sometimes.

Suicide in Ireland is huge and totally under reported as accidental death, accidental overdose and road traffic accidents. This is so wrong and needs to be addressed 😥

I haven't always felt great but I always sounded out to myself the mantra "suicide is a permanent fix to a temp solution" - don't do it. Your problem always is very fixable no matter how bad you think it is.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Cheers, I'm looking forward to receiving it, should scratch the current itch for a diver and a titanium piece.

It's also a very worthwhile cause, I didn't mention this but your story resonates with me, having lost my youngest brother to Cancer a few years back, any service that helps families through that tough period deserves support.

Thanks for buying it, and I really wasn't blowing smoke up your arse about how highly I regard it, I swear 😁

I am sorry to hear of your own loss and travails,and of everyone else who's shared a tale above.

I had messages from many here last year when my better half started her cancer treatment. They really helped buoy both of us up. That so many people had faced it and won, it made her own journey through treatment seem easily surmountable.

I agree with @Unkel about the reporting of suicide statistics here in Ireland. It does a huge disservice to Mental Health services here and it puts an inordinate amount of pressure on to charities rather than the HSE.

I made a post a few years ago, I think in 2019. Outlining my own experience of approx 40 deaths I was aware of at the time, that were suicides. Yet? Because of the onerous requirement for a corner to declare that verdict and the stigma that many still attach to it. Only 3 of those deaths were declared as "suicide" the rest ran the gamut from misadventure to open, to accidental death.

If memory serves, the year I pulled the numbers up. The HSE reported 12500 or so instances of self harm attending hospital for care versus 524 acknowledged suicides. Just from a quick look, that is (and this is an awful term) a "conversion" rate of self harm to suicide at about a rate 4.5%. Yes correlation isn't causation, but if we take the self harm number as a baseline? We have a glaring mental health crisis. The best numbers available are pre-covid, they certainly haven't improved over this period.

Irish mortality from suicide is 10.5 per 100k, yet the self harm rate broken out the same way is 206 per 100k. That is approx equiv to US self harm rate(214.6 per 100k) in the same period, but US suicide rate is 40% higher at 14.5 per 100k for the same period.

That the relationship between self harming behaviour and suicide isn't being hammered home at a national level is IMO a disgrace and a serious failure of outlet political class.

To round out why I am opposed to the onerous suicide verdict in Ireland. It needs to be destigmatized. There is still an ingrained and cultural fear of it being reported as such.

I am lucky in that I have a couple of very close friends, 1 of whom and I don't say it lightly. Saved my life. I lost my 1st wife in 2007 and it shattered me. I was bereft, left with our son and every single plan or hope I had for our future went with her. My son used to stay with my MiL on weekends Friday evening to Sunday afternoon. And so many times I locked myself away at home, away from the world and contemplated, planned and came quite close to attempting it.

1 particular friend, wouldn't leave me alone. He pestered me, he stalked me, he knocked on my door, sat outside my house and on my very worst days, held me and let sob.

As Unkel has said, a permanent solution to a temporary problem. So much of being resilient, being able to cope? Comes IMHO from being able to at least share the burden sometimes. Noone can fix your problems, there's no magic wand, but so often? People are willing and eager to help and that help makes all the difference even if it just a moment to breathe, to cry and to start again.

Post edited by banie01 on

Your friend is an amazing human being. I hope he reads on here, he can be very proud of himself. So glad he helped you pull through @banie01. We've never met but you're one of the nicest people I have come across on boards and you have had terrible adversities in your life. Far more than anyone should ever have. Hope that's it now and the rest of your life and that of your family is nothing but joy :-)

He is, and he knows I tell him 😉 not too often as I don't want him getting too big a head on himself 😜

And thank you, I really appreciate your comment and I could and will say the same about yourself and a few other posters here, kindness is found in abundance in some spots on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Carlo11

Dear all, while I'm a frequent visitor to this forum, I tend not to comment much because my knowledge on watches is very limited. Over the last few days there have been some heart-breaking stories. Like most people, I have have had people known to me not able to see a way beyond some concerns and so the stories resonate. The gesture by @Banie01 was really something. As someone with so few comments on the forum, it's maybe not my place to suggest it, but how about as a community, whoever has a watch that they could part with does so with the contribution going to one/some of the charities we select. I don't think we will see many Pateks going for sale but there might be a number of e50-200 watches in the drawer that don't get worn much and they could provide much needed funds for these organisations. Obviously it'll make a lot more sense if a good number of people contribute in this rather than only a few...

Hope I'm not out-of-line suggesting this but please ignore if I am.

• Advertisement

Welcome 🤗

I know from my own experience here that many of the posters do go above and beyond in their charitable efforts. 2 that spring immediately to mind are @Thirdfox who arranged a fundraiser for Alone as part of his work on launching the Sólás starlight.

Another is the generosity shown when I had a fundraiser for The Children's grief project here in Limerick. It started with a giveaway really on the watch giveaway thread and then morphed into many on here bypassing the risk of being lumbered with an Invicta 😉🤣 by donating directly to the charity. If memory serves? I think we raised over 2k at the time for what is a very worthy project.

The impact of bereavement and suicide on all of us who shared a story recently? Is huge, and I for one would wholeheartedly support any future fundraising effort on here.

Incoming watch so one or two of my watches that don't get much wrist time will need to be released. First my Panzera Aquamarine 45

Gorgeous watch from this brand new Australian micro brand

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Well the hands are big enough anyway, what movement has it?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭rx8

It says in the Ad that it's a Japanese NH35 movement, so a Seiko I presume.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,850 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Nice looking watch bit I just clicked on your link there and it offered me a 40% off sign up code which brought the price down to €291.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭rx8

If you continue with the purchase, you will also see that taxes, and shipping fees will bring it back up to €411.

And has to come from the far east, so takes a while. And of course my asking price is just an asking price! Anyone interested and you don't want to bid on the adverts ad, feel free to PM me. Even if you just want to come have a look or try it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

Selling a lovely Poljot 3133 dress watch.

I took this in as a watch only as part of another deal.

The dial is lovely and has a kind of ice white quality to it that is hard to capture in the pics.

I gave a good clean and regulated it, and put the BoR bracelet on it, which suits it very well.

Discount for anyone of this parish.

• Advertisement

Advertisement