Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling, Swapping or Wanted Watches & Timepieces *Please read rules in 1st post**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Ryath

Faith Jewellers in the North. Out of stock at moment but it has been before and come back so set up email alert. They do discounts off every few weeks and their HAVE10 code will give 10% off the sale price, so worked out at €479 landed for me. HAVE20 will give 20% on full price so not too much more.

Timeshop24 is the next best price I found it for. They often have 5-10% off codes but none active at the moment. It is an older model and getting harder find stock.

I really like both the Turtle and Samurai. Turtle I have still seen in stock in some stores in Ireland.

Post edited by Ryath on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭dakar

I’d been on the lookout for one for a while and picked up an unworn one from Germany on Chrono24 for €349.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭clones1980

Wilsons auctions have a number of rolex aand Breitling  for action on the website at the minute under government auctons if anyone was interested:-

https://www.wilsonsauctions.com/timed-auction/listings?culture=en-GB&salecode=OM3275&page=3&pagesize=20&sortby=reference_asc

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭hometruths

Is this legit?

How likely is it for a dial numeral to fall off like that on a genuine Rolex? Presumably the 6 is black on the other side.

https://www.wilsonsauctions.com/timed-auction/listings/lot?salecode=OM3275&listingid=bd12d3d9-1109-41e4-a8bb-4fc8af82f1b3

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭clones1980

as far as i know Wilsons auctions are legit. Whether the watch is or not I dont know but I googled numbers falling off rolex face and it does happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,942 ✭✭✭893bet

the black is only the light catching the number. They are all polished.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭walus

I’m on a list for Exp II black as I like the watch and its GMT complication. However, I would never pay more than retail for it and that would have to be from AD. Grey new or used second hand would have to be at a ‘good’ price. Now, what is a good price one would ask? Since these watches are one of the least popular among the Rolex collection the wait lists are going to become shorter and shorter and eventually these watches will be sitting at AD ready to be picked up. This is already happening in various touristic locations across the world. Soon enough same will come to Ireland. I’ve been collecting watches for more than 10 years and am in no rush to buy a next one. I would however consider a second hand Exp II if the price was attractive enough to offset the risk of purchasing from a private and unknown individual as well as make me turn away from waiting for a watch from the AD that more likely than not will become available to me sooner rather than later at this stage. The value of those two things alone is probably in a range of 1.8-2.5k for this particular type of watch.

This of course is my point of view and you may disagree. However, I would think that there are many more collectors like me who would be interested in purchasing the watch but have similar reservations wrt the price. Just my 3 cents.

”Where’s the revolution? Come on, people you’re letting me down!”

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Watch_Fan

The watch is available at retail price.

Weirs are currently selling a pre owned explorer for 12750. Over 2000 more. Hopefully they will become as readily available as you suggest but for me a Rolex Explorer II like new at list price is a fair price.

https://weirandsons.ie/pre-owned-rolex-explorer-ii-gmt-42mm-black-dial-automatic-movement-steel-case-steel-bracelet-watch.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭walus

I'm not sure if you realise but if you want to sell something, it is best to adapt market mechanisms and principles. Above you are referring to a entirely different watch in an attempt to justify (to yourself?) the price of the one you are attempting to sell. This may work for you, but not necessarily for its potential new owner.

Ch24 is full of Exp II that have been sitting still since Christmas I'd say. They are not moving as the sellers are reluctant to drop the prices to what market accepts right now. They may be thinking that market recovers and Exp II will be once again in demand etc. Likelihood of that is very slim though as if it wasn't for the pandemic this watch would never have been in such a high demand anyway. Never was before.

My take is that the moment these are readily available the prices for used watches will tank to reflect higher risk of not buying from a reputable dealer who genuinely cares for its business and its customers, and the fact that used watches are simply … not new anymore.

”Where’s the revolution? Come on, people you’re letting me down!”

The buyers will decide if it’s fair. And no one is bidding on yours. Available 1k plus cheaper on c24….when c24 is known to be well above market.

I am not sure availability direct from AD in Ireland will be so easy. Only 2 dealers (3 shops) flr Rolex in the ROI. For 5.5million people.

There are around 100 premises in UK.

Supply is choked in Ireland. Albeit demand likely lower also.

• Advertisement

My take is that various people, who aren't even interested directly, have come to the ad on adverts and commented on the price saying it is a fair price. It's priced at a price I would be happy to sell it at. It's not cheaper because at that price I simply wouldn't let it go, I would regret it.

Have a look:

http://www.adverts.ie/33803651

• Registered Users Posts: 65,323 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I bought a 42mm polar Explorer a few weeks ago, in perfect condition, full set box and papers and with a recent Rolex service (with service card) a few weeks ago for €7900, which was about €300 under the cheapest one for sale worldwide on Chrono24 (which was from Japan and only in "good" condition). And the white is more desirable / commands higher price than the black.

Some people commenting on your ad that the price was fair, are people who we well know to put very optimistic asking prices on their watches. The first commenter was more constructive

But hey, you stick to your asking price. As all of us have said, no problem, your prerogative. But unless the market changes, you will not sell it at that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,605 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Been in that situation myself before where I felt I'd let go if I got what I was comfortable with and if I cant get that I simply keep. It's a fair thing to do IMO and doesnt necessarily mean one is unrealistic or deluded. Being at the very edge - pricing to sell - is for when you absolutely want or must sell.

I have a had a look again on chrono even with their commission it's still very reasonably priced at 10300. Less hassle, and a face to face transaction. The watch isn't new but it's in like new condition. I don't see many sitting for sale in Keanes or Weirs. The market has fluctuated yes but the price is fair

That's exactly it. I don't want to agree on a deal and have sellers remorse immediately and regret it before even selling it.

Cheap watch what reference?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,043 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

there are brand new from 10k and excellent condition from 9.8/9.9 (from a professional seller). They will net 9,300 or less at asking. Imagine what they are buying in for.

That's where the market is unfortunately, but maybe you bag a buyer who is happy to pay retail. Not sure how c24 is more hassle tho if anything it's much less hassle!

And of course C24 will stand over the deal. So you can buy from a private seller with the same confidence as buying from a reputable professional dealer.

I buy from private sellers all the time. But I would never buy from a private seller on adverts with zero feedback. Not without having the watch verified first. No offense to @Watch_Fan

it’s interesting how much traffic them two watches have generated on here anyway…..still not a bid though……

I have an itchy finger myself on a watch I am tracking (not for the Rolex); but it’s the type of itch that when scratched will leave me at least 3k out of pocket (on a good day; 5k on a bad one).

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Ian OB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Always found that once I had a watch for sale, it was basically like I didnt own it anymore. Didnt wear it, left it in the box awaiting the new owner.

Your watch is priced not to sell at the moment, if that is the intention then the mission is accomplished, you may find a buyer but its unlikely.

There is a balance with selling privatly where you have to have the right balance of price, desirability, demand and rarity to get a sale. At the moment you have none of these things (dont get me wrong its a fine watch, but if I was spending 10k+ it would be very low on my list, and before you decide I am a dreamer, the safe I keep my watches in is worth more than that). You will have to tip the balance somehow if you want a sale. If you don't want to sell, keep the status quo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭scwazrh

The watch safe must be nearly empty now Fitz . Have you many left?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Homer

anyone actually selling anything 🫢

• Registered Users Posts: 20,043 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Not a hell of a lot, got out of most of the heavy stuff early/mid in 2023, and down to minimal power at the moment. Myself and 863bet managed to call the top of the market, then as is tradition, ignored our own advice and held too long, but in hindsight out clean.My new watch wont fit in the safe anyway 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

same as.. once up for sale .. that’s the end of our relationship. Even if it takes months..I never wear it again.

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

My Breitling now €1999 no offers. Got offer from a dealer even lower than that and seriously thinking of accepting it as I need some cash

https://www.adverts.ie/sports/breitling-chronomat-evolution/34115666

Closest I could find is an identical watch on Chrono24 from South Africa for €3400 + shipping (and taxes)

https://www.chrono24.co.uk/breitling/chronomat-evolution--id32001540.htm?searchHash=9c047f97_IadCkc&pos=7

OHPF

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭H_Lime

Nice one on the sale, there's a buyer bagging a bargain there. Wonder will we see it flipped?

• Advertisement

Thanks. On the flipping - I don't think so. The market is in a serious sh1t and even at my selling price, that wasn't cheap enough for someone to make a quick buck on it, unless they want to stick it on Chrono 24 and wait it out. The buyer is a watch enthusiast and I get the impression this will be his first luxury watch. Great market out there if you are buying.

Advertisement