Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling, Swapping or Wanted Watches & Timepieces *Please read rules in 1st post**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭893bet

What’s the boards price ?

(I was gonna come in with a 35 % offer as you had defended some other chap who offered 1200 on a 3k speedmaster!)

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭thelizardking1

Meant to say earlier I will throw in a brand new tropic strap with this for a boardsie and it will also come with the mesh and unworn original Squale leather.
    Looking for €750 for this if anyone is interested. Cheapest on the net and in mint condition.

https://www.adverts.ie/sports/squale-60-atmos-squalematic-full-set/20247952

1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 65,482 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

893bet wrote: »
    What’s the boards price ?

If you are interested, make me an offer! Either on here, via PM or on adverts, all good with me :)
    (I was gonna come in with a 35 % offer as you had defended some other chap who offered 1200 on a 3k speedmaster!)

Did I? That doesn't sound like something I would say. Any link?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,743 ✭✭✭micks_address

Unkel if you buying that Rolex I'll buy the speedy if you dropping her :)

You think I could afford to own two watches of that sort of value at the same time? I wish :)

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    You think I could afford to own two watches of that sort of value at the same time? I wish :)

You trade the speedy?

You trade the speedy?

Well interestingly the same seller whatsapped me earlier and offered me a speedy for 2900 we almost had agreed a trade for my Tudor ranger with cash his way when he said his friend had just collected.

You trade the speedy?

Not only did I trade it in, the speedy actually made this purchase possible for me. I believe I have you partially to thank for that. So thank you!

Not only did I trade it in, the speedy actually made this purchase possible for me. I believe I have you partially to thank for that. So thank you!

How did the speedy make it possible?

How did the speedy make it possible?

It was your stipulation when you sold it that the buyer was not to sell it on for more than he paid you. Which is exactly what happened. I bought the Rolex from a (semi?) professional trader who was keen on the speedy and we could agree a trade. Where before this, I had tried a few times with cash offers and trade of other watches, but we got stuck every time with several hundred quid between bid and ask. The speedy made the difference, so thank you for your stipulation :)

• Advertisement

It was your stipulation when you sold it that the buyer was not to sell it on for more than he paid you. Which is exactly what happened. I bought the Rolex from a (semi?) professional trader who was keen on the speedy and we could agree a trade. Where before this, I had tried a few times with cash offers and trade of other watches, but we got stuck every time with several hundred quid between bid and ask. The speedy made the difference, so thank you for your stipulation :)

And to think it almost ended up with me after you traded it :)

It was your stipulation when you sold it that the buyer was not to sell it on for more than he paid you. Which is exactly what happened. I bought the Rolex from a (semi?) professional trader who was keen on the speedy and we could agree a trade. Where before this, I had tried a few times with cash offers and trade of other watches, but we got stuck with several hundred quid between bid and ask. The speedy made the difference, so thank you for your stipulation :)

I didn’t have a stipulation on Fitzy when he sold it. He was free to do as he wished. As were you.

You got a speedmaster cheap and then used it save a few 100 on your explorer. Forum loses out here I think though. Would have been nice to see it offered back here for someone else to have a try of one at a risk free price. A little off IMO.

That’s said I think we will see lots of cheap speedies in the next 6 months. UK ADs are hammering 20% off deals. If the deep recessions hits like they say there will be a massive oversupply in the market.

I didn’t have a stipulation on Fitzy when he sold it. He was free to do as he wished. As were you.

You got a speedmaster cheap and then used it save a few 100 on your explorer. Forum loses out here I think though. Would have been nice to see it offered back here for someone else to have a try of one at a risk free price. A little off IMO.

That’s said I think we will see lots of cheap speedies in the next 6 months. UK ADs are hammering 20% off deals. If the deep recessions hits like they say there will be a massive oversupply in the market.

So what you are saying is you would have preferred the speedy to go to one of the regulars in here so that they can take a depreciation hit on it soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭VW 1

Out of interest what was the trade value on the speedy? Strongly considering moving for one over the next few months and wondering what kind of ballpark a good second hand version is going for.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,428 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

This thread is going to end badly with all the silly comments, it’s like the days of vostok again

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭munster87

OmegaGene wrote: »
    This thread is going to end badly with all the silly comments, it’s like the days of vostok again

Well not that bad!

So what you are saying is you would have preferred the speedy to go to one of the regulars in here so that they can take a depreciation hit on it soon?

No. That’s not what I said but well done on trying to flip it back to make me a bad guy haha.

I said I would have preferred it go to a regular at the very good cheap price it was @2600.

Then I said in 6 months time it’s likely that the good price you and me paid will likely be the standard price for everyone.

Either way. What’s done is done.

No. That’s not what I said but well done on trying to flip it back to make me a bad guy haha.

I said I would have preferred it go to a regular at the very good cheap price it was @2600.

Then I said in 6 months time it’s likely that the good price you and me paid will likely be the standard price for everyone.

Either way. What’s done is done.

Yes well done on getting a deal. I'd agree a bit though I thought you'd bought the speedy as it was a watch you really wanted.. there was a queue of people looking to buy it so it would have been nice if it went to someone who wanted to keep it..

Well wear on the Rolex.

Cheers,
    Mick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

We are all like-minded here, and I do love a bit of debate and banter. Word to everyone on here, the moonwatch is not a keeper. 893bet warned me not to buy it at the time and he was right. I went into it thinking I would keep it, but for me it unwearable, Anyway onwards and upwards, great action on the forum today. And the sharp eyed will have spotted we have a horological heavy hitter spying on our little forum so we need to be on best behavior and impress him. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭This is it

What makes a watch a keeper? I presume it varies form person to person, no?

• Advertisement

This is it wrote: »

If you figure that one out, please tell me.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,803 ✭✭✭✭banie01

And the sharp eyed will have spotted we have a horological heavy hitter spying on our little forum so we need to be on best behavior and impress them. :D

I bloody hate when I don't know what's going on in here :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

If you figure that one out, please tell me.
    This is it? Sod telling him, tell me, or I'll ban ya. :D

Personal take? It's very much down to the individual and what they like and what they want. If I were to make a list of "keepers" for the majority? Omega Speedmaster, Casio G-Shock, Rolex Submariner, Patek Calatrava, Seiko Diver and a Cartier Tank would cover a fair chunk of the long term answers(and would have for the last 40 plus years). Depends on what you are into as well. So for a military watch buff insaniac a Cartier Tank and Patek Calatrava would be about as welcome as a Guinness fart in a spacesuit. A Vacheron Constantin buff might have an attack of the vapours at the sight of a Casio G-Shock. :D

TL;DR? Ignore most "advice", don't break the bank, and buy what appeals to you. That's the "keeper".

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭This is it

I should have worded my question better. You said the Moonwatch isn't a keeper, I'm wondering, as someone who loves the look but will be a long time saving for one if I was ever to buy one, why is it not a keeper? Surely it's down to the individual?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

I should have worded my question better. You said the Moonwatch isn't a keeper, I'm wondering, as someone who loves the look but will be a long time saving for one if I was ever to buy one, why is it not a keeper? Surely it's down to the individual?

I think it was for him that the bracelet/lugs didn't sit well. I know for others they really like date features (especially for daily wearers) so the default one doesn't suit their particular tastes.

I know my Speedmaster Professional Moonphase is a keeper (though if it was "just" the default speedy without a date feature it might not be). I have some hesalite crystal watches too so I appreciate the sapphire on my daily beater Speedmaster - the hesalite isn't a key thing for me.

...Having said all that though there are negotiations ongoing with MsThirdfox on a particular item - and shock horror the Speedmaster may need to go if that's the compromise that's needed to consider getting a pretty heavy "grail" watch for me. An "end-game" piece as it were :eek: - meaning there has been a promise of no more future watch purchases after this one if it goes through. She did note that I'm a tricky lawyer though and finding loopholes is part of my job :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,330 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I'd always sell my Oyster Perpetual over my moonwatch. Any day of the week. And I find the comfort absolutely bang on.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,330 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

We are all like-minded here, and I do love a bit of debate and banter. Word to everyone on here, the moonwatch is not a keeper. 893bet warned me not to buy it at the time and he was right. I went into it thinking I would keep it, but for me it unwearable, Anyway onwards and upwards, great action on the forum today. And the sharp eyed will have spotted we have a horological heavy hitter spying on our little forum so we need to be on best behavior and impress him. :D

You really are a bit full of yourself, aren't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭thelizardking1

Birneybau wrote: »
    I'd always sell my Oyster Perpetual over my moonwatch. Any day of the week. And I find the comfort absolutely bang on.

I'll second that. Most comfortable watch I've ever owned. Definitely a keeper for me and I'm a terrible flipper most of the time.

I had issues with the watch cutting my wrist. The self wind and the hessalite were not an issue for me. I like the looks too and its the best box in watch collecting if your into that stuff.

I purchased it mostly because according to some having a moonwatch is essential for any collection. But I noticed that a lot of collectors buy it and then trade it later.I get the feeling a lot of collectors have it just to have and not to wear. I dont see the point in that.

I go through moods with watches. At the moment I have a lot of time to think, and I am in a consolidation frame of mind. I also find I am drawn to one brand for a number of reasons.

893bet has it right, there is a big price drop on the moonwatch coming ( I have been calling it for a long time, often coming under fire for it too), and honestly I was cashing out while my break even was still a bargain and ensured a quick sale.

The moonwatch sits in a funny place in my collection, expensive enough that its not a watch you can simply let rot in the back of the safe and deserves to be worn. I can honestly say now I have had one, its a lovely watch, historically impressive and worthy of anyone's attention. But the oppertunity cost for me (what I could have been doing with the money in other watches) was too great. I have suffered watch selling regret, but not on that one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

My speedy is a keeper as it was a gift from my wife. However it would still be a keeper no matter what as it's an amazing watch. The fact that you have to wind it every so often forces you to take notice of it and care for it.

It's like a puppy or a small child. F**king annoying at times but jesus you'd never sell them on adverts or TZUK :):)

Advertisement