Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling, Swapping or Wanted Watches & Timepieces *Please read rules in 1st post**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭thelizardking1

This is it wrote: »
    I should have worded my question better. You said the Moonwatch isn't a keeper, I'm wondering, as someone who loves the look but will be a long time saving for one if I was ever to buy one, why is it not a keeper? Surely it's down to the individual?

You've nailed it there, it is definitely down to the individual. For every one person that tells you a certain watch isn't a keeper you'll find 10 that will say the opposite.

If you're thinking of spending a lot of money on something like a Speedmaster perhaps try find a well established dealer on Chrono24. A lot of them have a no quibble 14 day return policy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Birneybau wrote: »
    I'd always sell my Oyster Perpetual over my moonwatch. Any day of the week. And I find the comfort absolutely bang on.
    You really are a bit full of yourself, aren't you?

I am glad you are happy with yours, its a lovely watch. I would let a OP go before it too.

I bought that moonwatch off a guy, who bought it off a guy, who bough it off the original owner, the guy who buys it off me sells it to a guy and then sells it to a guy. Its a 2016 watch that has seen 6 owners. There are tons on Chrono, watchfinder and adverts all the time. I think a warning that people flip them a lot it valid enough. They are a flippers delight. And if you ever do sell your you will find plenty of buyers

Please attack my argument, but leave the personal attacks, its uncalled for and more childish than I would expect from you. I have outlined my reasons why I sold it, but I am interested to hear why people keep theirs. Its not a personal attack its a preference.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

I should have worded my question better. You said the Moonwatch isn't a keeper, I'm wondering, as someone who loves the look but will be a long time saving for one if I was ever to buy one, why is it not a keeper? Surely it's down to the individual?

Once this pandemic is over I will be selling my Speedie.
    The reason is that I just dont love it as much as I should for the money I spent on it.
    I have not worn it since January. There are other watches, cheaper watches, in my collection that I reach for before the speedie.
    I dont know why that is - its just personal taste I think. But would rather it went to someone who appreciates it more. And would rather the money in my hand to be spending on other stuff.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I had a Speedie back in the 90's and couldn't get on with it for some reason. Ticked all the boxes, but never really gelled with it. To be fair I was never really an Omega chap, but I think it was more down to it being a three register chronograph, I far prefer two register. They're more balanced to my eye. Sorry I didn't stick it in a drawer though, as it was a pre moon speedie, so ker-ching! Then again if I think on those watches in my past I'd need to invent a kicking myself machine. :D Still though when non watch guys have asked me "what's a good watch" the Speedie is always in the list for all sorts of good reasons.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The reason is that I just dont love it as much as I should for the money I spent on it.
    That's a debate for another time T, but if you consider how much the price of watches has gone up over the decades the "value" may be off for many and maybe they subconsciously feel that? The Speedmaster today after accounting for wages, cost of living, property prices etc is around four times the price it was when men were bouncing around on the Moon wearing them. Other examples like the Rolex Sub would also be far more expensive than they were back then. Heuer chronos ditto. Blancpain in a big way. None were ever cheap watches to buy new, but they weren't in the luxury bracket to the degree they are today.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,330 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

We are all like-minded here, and I do love a bit of debate and banter. Word to everyone on here, the moonwatch is not a keeper. 893bet warned me not to buy it at the time and he was right. I went into it thinking I would keep it, but for me it unwearable, Anyway onwards and upwards, great action on the forum today. And the sharp eyed will have spotted we have a horological heavy hitter spying on our little forum so we need to be on best behavior and impress him. :D
    I am glad you are happy with yours, its a lovely watch. I would let a OP go before it too.

I bought that moonwatch off a guy, who bought it off a guy, who bough it off the original owner, the guy who buys it off me sells it to a guy and then sells it to a guy. Its a 2016 watch that has seen 6 owners. There are tons on Chrono, watchfinder and adverts all the time. I think a warning that people flip them a lot it valid enough. They are a flippers delight. And if you ever do sell your you will find plenty of buyers

Please attack my argument, but leave the personal attacks, its uncalled for. I have outlined my reasons why I sold it, but I am interested to hear why people keep theirs. Its not a personal attack its a preference.

I was referring to this statement and you made a similar sweeping generalisation previously. I'm not getting at you, but maybe think about how you word things.

A simple, The Speedy didn't suit me, wasn't comfortable FOR ME would have sufficed. I mean, I'm not mad about TAGs at all but I'm never going to say they're not for anyone. Peace

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Wibbs wrote: »
    I had a Speedie back in the 90's and couldn't get on with it for some reason. Ticked all the boxes, but never really gelled with it. To be fair I was never really an Omega chap, but I think it was more down to it being a three register chronograph, I far prefer two register. They're more balanced to my eye. Sorry I didn't stick it in a drawer though, as it was a pre moon speedie, so ker-ching! Then again if I think on those watches in my past I'd need to invent a kicking myself machine. :D Still though when non watch guys have asked me "what's a good watch" the Speedie is always in the list for all sorts of good reasons.

I love the three registers - perfect for timing those billable hours (we generally need more than just 30 minutes when working on a case ;) - conversely it's not often we'll do more than 12 hours on one particular matter...) . I think the fact that I actually use the chrono feature on the watch (and the 3 register chrono feature - say compared to my 1963 which I don't use at all since limited to 30 minutes) makes it appealing to me too.

But maybe for you Wibbs - you can get the moonphase version like myself - it's not a three register...it's actually four register - all is balanced once again :D

329805-3770ede3052c202496e96ad5fdebdeab.jpg

I'm not getting at you, but maybe think about how you word things.

Gosh, and I am full of myself? The irony is lost I assume.

Gosh, and I am full of myself?

Yes. You are the only one that rubs people up the wrong way here and henceforth, it's not worth it, I'll be ignoring you.

Yes. You are the only one that rubs people up the wrong way here and henceforth, it's not worth it, I'll be ignoring you.

I will try to live with the loss of your input. Looking at your extensive ban and infraction history you are well able to rub people up the wrong way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭fat bloke

New though I am to these shores, that's not the impression I was under. I've found Fitzgeme's posts more insightful than inciteful :).

Is it the talking-down of Speedmaster values that is the wording issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,286 ✭✭✭emo72

Anyone selling watches?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

emo72 wrote: »
    Anyone selling watches?
    I'm ready to lowball any Speedmasters anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 65,482 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I'll take a swap or a trade in of a blue diver for my TAG if anyone is interested. Anything considered. Even cash either way.

Apologies for Mickey fit. Carry on consuming.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,803 ✭✭✭✭banie01

unkel wrote: »
    I'll take a swap or a trade in of a blue diver for my TAG if anyone is interested. Anything considered. Even cash either way.

Thelizardking1 is selling a lovely blue Squale, is there a deal to be had?

banie01 wrote: »
    Thelizardking1 is selling a lovely blue Squale, is there a deal to be had?

There is, as far as I'm concerned :)

I actually made him an offer pretty close to his asking price a week ago or so, gorgeous watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,803 ✭✭✭✭banie01

unkel wrote: »
    There is, as far as I'm concerned :)

I actually made him an offer pretty close to his asking price a week ago or so, gorgeous watch.

It is stunning in fairness.
    He has an eye for the exquisite.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Roycropper63

@Ftzgene.....anything else about to get moved on?
    Thanks
    Roy

@Ftzgene.....anything else about to get moved on?
    Thanks
    Roy

Afraid not Roy. Consolidation complete for the moment. But best thing is stay on this thread, keep and eye out, and PM guys with watches you like and ask if they thinking of selling. Keep and eye on adverts. What sort of watches are you interested in getting?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Roycropper63

Anything in the lower price scale!!!
    Dithered on your citizen.
    Will keep checking here and adverts.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

I was planning on counting up all the coins I can find under my car seat in a couple of months time to see if I could make it stretch to get a speedmaster; but some of this conversation is giving me food for thought.

That said, if anyone is thinking of selling one I'd love a head up!!

Anything in the lower price scale!!!
    Dithered on your citizen.
    Will keep checking here and adverts.
    Thanks

Buyers are like busses, you wait forever and then two come at the same time. That watch was on for ages, months and months. I took it down. Then I put the same watch back up on its bracelet instead of a Nato and it was gone in a few days...half decent watch that, could keep going on whatever sunlight it go sitting in a drawer, cool technology.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gerfmurphy

Lazy post but thinking of flipping my Seiko samurai for a tuna. Anyone looking for a samurai blue waffle dial on blue rubber complete box papers etc and bracket let me know. I would hope to get about 250 for it. It's not mint as it was a daily.

Any interest trading it against my TAG? I've never had a Samurai and looking for a daily blue beater. So I don't mind it being well worn.

Wasnt there somebody on reciently looking for one of these...seems a not unreasonable price once the adverts tax is removed.

https://www.adverts.ie/casual/tag-heuer-gulf-edition/20338338

OThiYWJlN2U4YmRlYmY1ZmE5ZWQ4YjA3MmYxZDE3OTZQ4CceOiwVrm-EHFYLPlKvaHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmFkc2ltZy5jb20vYzRmN2E1YmQ0NDhiMzhhYWU2MTA0ZTVhYmNjNTBmYTUwYmE4NzBjNGJhM2FiOTQ1MTNjYTczOTBhYWJkZDQwMS5qcGd8fHx8fHwzOTZ4MjYzfGh0dHA6Ly93d3cuYWR2ZXJ0cy5pZS9zdGF0aWMvaS93YXRlcm1hcmsucG5nfHx8.jpg

Sporty!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭This is it

That was me. I need to unsub from this forum :( and he lives very close to me too!

What's the adverts tax?

That was me. I need to unsub from this forum :( and he lives very close to me too!

What's the adverts tax?

On 900 euro usually around 100 or 50 euro....so a offer of 800 or 850 would be solid enough...not insulting, shows intent to buy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gerfmurphy

unkel wrote:
    Any interest trading it against my TAG? I've never had a Samurai and looking for a daily blue beater. So I don't mind it being well worn.

Nope I'm only after a tuna I seen. I love the samurai and would only sell to get this. Thanks anyways for the offer

Advertisement