Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling, Swapping or Wanted Watches & Timepieces *Please read rules in 1st post**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭893bet

Cyrus wrote: »

There is just too much choice it's hard to be satisfied unless you stop looking

It really is as simple as that.

Rail master my grail for a while. Got it. Sold it.

Sky fall was my grail for a while. Got it, had it for sale at one point.

Blnr was a grail. Got it, sold it.

5167 was a grail. Got it. Never thought of selling it, yet.

Now “grail” is on an ALS or even an FBJ. I hope I don’t decide to leverage the 5167 to purchase but....it’s a possibility. Only watches with sentiment attached can truely be considered keepers.

Grail is just a term used for to justify buying increasing expensive out of reach watches. Always more expensive from what I see. Once you have a 2k watch then any watch under 2k is achievable. So you are then looking for the 5k watch. When you have that all 5 k watches are easily achievable through flipping that but now you are looking for the 10k watch.

Yet to see a person with 3 rolex declare a speedmaster or Tudor is their grail. Grails are usually just the “next level” up.

If you buy smart and sell smart (and don’t concern yourself with servicing etc) then owning and changing watches is a lot of fun and not a huge cost as long as you ain’t the one left without the chair when the music stops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Yacht master never seems to stay in anyone's collection for long, and if its your one Rolex its hard put up with something "zany" every day. The large bezel really makes to dial look small.

Would you consider a Two tone bluesy? You could pull off two tone and they striking watches.

Putting yourself on waiting lists is a good move but by god its long haul, and most bottle it and spend their dosh elsewhere. You never thought you would have one Rolex....maybe when you think you cant have two thats a myth too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,803 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Folks I bought this from Mick a few weeks ago with the intention of gifting it to my Son.

Watch greed set in and he has since been passed my B&R in an effort to keep my cool stuff :P

Then I bought 2 more watches and now I want an Arnie so to keep my wife on side and to stay "within the rules" of 1 in, 1 out!

I'm going to let this one go.
    I'm not going to list it elsewhere in the hope that a boardsie can take advantage of the generosity Mick showed me when I purchased.

€150 delivered within Ireland.

Rather than take new photos, I've reused Mick's as other than being tried on its unworn.
    Happy to take any photos needed tho.
    Hi folks,
    I bought this hard to find discontinued Seiko quartz Chrono to ease my itch for an omega speedmaster.

Roll on a few days and Ive bought the speedmaster and this is delivered. It's lovely and in mint new condition.

I've 200 euro in it but would let it go a little less.

Any interest let me know. I might pop up on adverts tomorrow.

Seiko mens watches caliber 7T94 calendar special date black face SNN123

Hardlex Crystal

IMG-20200520-124128.jpg
    IMG-20200520-124103.jpg
    IMG-20200520-124100.jpg
    IMG-20200520-124006.jpg
    IMG-20200520-124001.jpg
    IMG-20200520-123958.jpg
    IMG-20200520-123953.jpg
    IMG-20200520-123932.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 65,482 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Yacht master never seems to stay in anyone's collection for long, and if its your one Rolex its hard put up with something "zany" every day. The large bezel really makes to dial look small.

Would you consider a Two tone bluesy? You could pull off two tone and they striking watches.

Very much dislike even the idea of a two tone :D

Points taken on the Yachtmaster. I sure won't buy one until I've tried one on. But I do seem to like slightly left of field models from Rolex, my favourites at this point are the Z-Blue Milgauss and the blue Yachtmaster.

I am not particularly careful with my watches - a watch needs to be worn and not babied is my motto, I'm the same with cars - and I have scratched metal bezels before. The safer model would be a ceramic sub (and I believe the older Yachtmaster does not have the glidelock clasp?). But I guess worst case scenario is send it to Rolex for a service for what, like €800? And it will come back brand new. This would always be an option when reselling and I guess the reason why you never really see a badly worn Rolex for sale at a big discount?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,121 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

unkel wrote: »
    Very much dislike even the idea of a two tone :D

Points taken on the Yachtmaster. I sure won't buy one until I've tried one on. But I do seem to like slightly left of field models from Rolex, my favourites at this point are the Z-Blue Milgauss and the blue Yachtmaster.

I am not particularly careful with my watches - a watch needs to be worn and not babied is my motto, I'm the same with cars - and I have scratched metal bezels before. The safer model would be a ceramic sub (and I believe the older Yachtmaster does not have the glidelock clasp?). But I guess worst case scenario is send it to Rolex for a service for what, like €800? And it will come back brand new. This would always be an option when reselling and I guess the reason why you never really see a badly worn Rolex for sale at a big discount?

yachtmaster bezel can only take so much punishment before it's replacement rather than refurb I believe

Then it's mega bucks as it's platinum

• Advertisement

Do Rolex not just replace any worn / damaged parts as part of the fixed price service (price depends on model / complication)?

Do Rolex not just replace any worn / damaged parts as part of the fixed price service (price depends on model / complication)?

nope

Price for a service is price for a movement service and a best as possible refurb

Any new part is an extra charge

nope

Price for a service is price for a movement service and a best as possible refurb

Any new part is an extra charge

I've heard conflicting views on this. But obviously I have no experience with this myself. Anyone else care to share their experience with Rolex service and replacement of parts?

Perhaps going a bit too far off topic here but I just watched this again. I'd agree with all his reasons for liking it but I take exception to him calling the blue one a bit childish :p

Just some minor movement parts I believe.

Case/dial/crystal/bezel....prepare you anus.

893bet wrote: »

LOL, good to know :D

Looks like the smart / only option for me then would be an already discounted second hand blue Yachtmaster with preferably already some damage to the bezel. And then just keep it.

• Advertisement

LOL, good to know :D

Looks like the smart / only option for me then would be an already discounted second hand blue Yachtmaster with preferably already some damage to the bezel. And then just keep it.

well if you are rough with watches it'll definitely get damaged so maybe the best bet .

And as 893 said they may replace some replaceable movement parts but anything you can see will be lottsa cash!

That would actually explain why that Milgauss for sale on adverts had lots of parts replaced (crown, stem, bezel) by Fast Fix - do these guys even use OEM parts?

That would actually explain why that Milgauss for sale on adverts had lots of parts replaced (crown, stem, bezel) by Fast Fix - do these guys even use OEM parts?

not sure but I would doubt it as unless you are an accredited Rolex repairer (not even sure if that exists as a concept any more ) you can't get parts from them .

And you can be sure that fast fix aren't

Just some minor movement parts I believe.

I replaced a white gold bezel on a Daytona...service was 800 euro, bezel was 1600 euro and I didn't get the old bezel back (Rolex keep all parts to avoid people putting genuine parts on fakes or making Frankenstein). Platinum would be even more expensive. A crystal or Dial is not too bad a few hundred but precious bezels are expensive enough.

Doesnt matter, Unkle would never keep it long enough to have the bezel replaced :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,803 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I replaced a white gold bezel on a Daytona...service was 800 euro, bezel was 1600 euro and I didn't get the old bezel back (Rolex keep all parts to avoid people putting genuine parts on fakes or making Frankenstein). :)

Do Rolex at least discount the value of the old bezel against the new?
    Seems a little cheeky of them to just keep what is your property without offering some compensatory gesture?

I know that in the past any watch I've had serviced was always returned with the replaced parts too (Granted not Rolex).

I replaced a white gold bezel on a Daytona...service was 800 euro, bezel was 1600 euro

Oh Jaysus. Ain't no lube strong enough to make that bearable :p

You're wrong there on my selling it, Sam Crooked Sympathizer. If I got one with a damaged bezel cheap enough, I'd say I'd keep it forever. But I guess that's what I thought about my Seamaster too, until you made me an offer I couldn't refuse :pac:

not sure but I would doubt it as unless you are an accredited Rolex repairer (not even sure if that exists as a concept any more ) you can't get parts from them .

And you can be sure that fast fix aren't

I am always uneasy about this.

They almost become franken watches.

That’s said I would use spurious parts in a car no problem but I feel different about a watch. A gasket or minor part of the moment I could live with but a spurious crown or similar (well actually fake as a crown is branded) is not something I would like.

If I got one with a damaged bezel cheap enough, I'd say I'd keep it forever.

Well the explorer lasted 2 weeks so you will pardon me if I am dubious about that :p...I actually thought the service costs were alright on the Daytona and they do a magnificent job on the watches, refresh the warranty for 2 years and give you papers back.

I often buy watches without papers its a bit cheaper, and papers mean absolutely nothing. Less than nothing. If you were going to fake an entire watch, faking papers is much easier. If the papers are genuine they only tell you the watch was genuine when it was purchased, is the watch in hand the same watch? When was it serviced last? Service papers tell you the watch is kosher at a more resent time, and that it was look after. I would rather a Rolex with service papers from last year, than one from 2010 with original papers and no way of know what condition its in now. Talking Rolex service...not one from fast-fix.

Well the explorer lasted 2 weeks so you will pardon me if I am dubious about that :p

Touché :p

If it wast blue I'd probably have it for years though before my eye started wandering!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

I was told that one had some water damage leading to the Fast Fix repair.

• Advertisement

How on earth a Rolex (of all watches) can get water damaged is beyond me. Haven't tried it myself but I heard that even with the crown out, there is not water ingress.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

How on earth a Rolex (of all watches) can get water damaged is beyond me. Haven't tried it myself but I heard that even with the crown out, there is not water ingress.

I thought it was similar to Omega's HEV (which I recall is still WR even with the valve left open - this thread suggests 50m which sounds correct):
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/helium-escapement-valves.41622/

And remember 50m means you can do most scuba anyway.

The only potential for water ingress in my view would have been if you went swimming with an open crown and manage to push water in by pushing the crown up and down - getting the water past the o-rings in that way.

For example in the dress watch I've got wr doesn't change if the crown is out or in since it's not screw down anyway - 5atm - but what might affect it is if I pull/push the crown while submerged.

Or maybe the guy just didn't do an annual wr test and the seals had deteriorated through time.

Perhaps the crystal was broken? Seems the most likely scenario. Somehow I can't see anyone desperately trying to get water in by frantically pushing the crown up and down repeatedly :p

The watch is from 2011, so hardly old enough for any rubber to get so old it will let water through when you're wearing it in the shower :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭AmberGold

Fire sale.

Boards prices

Nomos 1600
    Omega PO 2500
    Vacheron 4500

https://www.adverts.ie/20537966

https://www.adverts.ie/20538178

https://www.adverts.ie/20539815

Tried to PM & your mailbox is full, can you send me a PM when you get a chance?

AmberGold wrote: »
    Tried to PM & your mailbox is full, can you send me a PM when you get a chance?

Cleared now! Hopefully it’s not about the PO....having second thoughts on that.

(I am very popular)

Fire sale.

Boards prices

Nomos 1600
    Omega PO 2500
    Vacheron 4500

https://www.adverts.ie/20537966

https://www.adverts.ie/20538178

https://www.adverts.ie/20539815

Nomos sold.

Omega withdrawn for now. It’s far too nice, with multiple strap options, in immaculate condition with a recent 500 euro service to let go for 2500 or even 2900. It’s my only watch with a bit of real colour these days.

VC still available.

VC still available.

Come on somebody here must buy this at that price....holy trinity king piece.

I am close to withdrawing on that basis only. Force myself to wear it.

I do like it. It’s just I don’t like bracelet watches. All other watches on rubber, NATO or leather.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

I am close to withdrawing on that basis only. Force myself to wear it.

I do like it. It’s just I don’t like bracelet watches. All other watches on rubber, NATO or leather.

Having seen 893bet's VC in the flesh, I can confirm it is a beauty. Very low profile, striking bracelet and uniquely styled bezel, a rare piece I would love to own if funds allowed.

• Advertisement

eljono wrote: »
    Having seen 893bet's VC in the flesh, I can confirm it is a beauty. Very low profile, striking bracelet and uniquely styled bezel, a rare piece I would love to own if funds allowed.

Thanks mate.

Ye are all convincing me to keep at this point....!

Get some pictures of your Globemaster and the Cellini in the my photos thread or the SOTC thread! Lovely watches!

Advertisement