Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling, Swapping or Wanted Watches & Timepieces *Please read rules in 1st post**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,483 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

The fast appreciating Omega watch in history :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭893bet

unkel wrote: »
    The fast only appreciating Omega watch in history :p

Fixed your post! Omega don’t appreciate so this is a first!

I am sure the seller is open to an offer. Strange that no one is feeling the love for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Ah that's ridiculous. What's that - four different owners in a week? That's not watch collecting. Does anyone actually want the watch, or just a selfie with it to post up and then sell it the following day?!

A beautiful timepiece like that deserves respect, loyalty, and appreciation (non monetary!) through ownership. Not be passed around like a feckin' village bicycle. It's... unbecoming. :rolleyes:

893bet wrote: »
    Fixed your post! Omega don’t appreciate so this is a first!

Can't agree. Bought my Seamaster 300M 2531.80.00 for €975 here on adverts and sold it almost 3 years later for €1600 :)

fat bloke wrote: »
    Ah that's ridiculous. What's that - four different owners in a week? That's not watch collecting. Does anyone actually want the watch, or just a selfie with it to post up and then sell it the following day?!

A beautiful timepiece like that deserves respect, loyalty, and appreciation (non monetary!) through ownership. Not be passed around like a feckin' village bicycle. It's... unbecoming. :rolleyes:

If someone wants to experience a watch and there is little or no punishment for keeping it for a short time and then selling it on, they will do just that.

Also people buy watches thinking they will be great, but once bought and on the wrist they disappoint. They sell them on.

And people buy watches at keen prices with the main intention to flip them or trade in for another watch.

I've done all three. Not sure what idealistic world you (want to) live in, but that's reality...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

893bet wrote: »
    https://www.adverts.ie/20648715

It’s back for sale with someone else.

I saw that this morning. I'm having a think about it at the moment, but with the price increasing and fact that I would now be the 4th owner (purely psychological I know given the quick turn around) I am having a think if its worth it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,803 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Pablo_Flox wrote: »
    I saw that this morning. I'm having a think about it at the moment, but with the price increasing and fact that I would now be the 4th owner (purely psychological I know given the quick turn around) I am having a think if its worth it or not.

Look at it this way, no log book ;)
    No change of "registered" owner and if it's a grail it's fairly decent value and seems to have found its price level.

That said, with what's coming our way over the next year or so?
    A further drop in price for some luxury watches on the secondary market isn't beyond the realms of possibility IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,121 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Pablo_Flox wrote: »

the owner thing is neither here nor there,

the chap who sold it originally was the first owner, everyone else who had it didnt buy to keep, Fitz bought it from him to trade against the hulk i assume, the hulk dealer was always going to sell it and obviously the chap who had it from him was a trader also

for some reason someone thinks they can make a few hundred quid off it, so good luck to them but the fact its been passed around is irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭redlead

Do you want to marry the village bicycle even if she is super hot though?

Timeless watch channel did a good video several months back on the different types of watch collectors. I think he makes some good points about serial flippers. Do they ever really appreciate or enjoy the watch? Probably not to the same extent. It's a whole different mentality.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

redlead wrote: »
    Do you want to marry the village bicycle even if she is super hot

No but you could keep her around as a daily beater....

• Advertisement

sparrowcar wrote: »
    No but you could keep her around as a daily beater....

Or just for a treat on special occasions?

(This forum disgusts me)

Who said anything about marriage? Just sleep with her a few times until you're bored and then move on to her younger better looking sister :pac:

unkel wrote: »
    Who said anything about marriage? Just sleep with her a few times until you're bored and then move on to her younger better looking sister :pac:

Or try and talk her into a 3some!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Timeless watch channel did a good video several months back on the different types of watch collectors. I think he makes some good points about serial flippers. Do they ever really appreciate or enjoy the watch? Probably not to the same extent. It's a whole different mentality.

Well, I'm only new to this craic but I think I've been fast-tracked to point 8 on Fitzgeme's graph! :D -I'm sure it's saved me a lot of time, money, and breast-beating.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=113675289&postcount=57

It's an odd one it really is. I don't understand why a fella who can put his hand to 3 and a half grand at short notice needs to turn that into €3595 ono within 24 hours. Where's the win? If you want a picture of yourself wearing a seamaster, then just spend an hour in Weir and sons with your selfie stick. It makes me think that the interest is in the flip and not the watch. It's the difference between the tout buying the ticket to sell outside the stadium, and the fan buying the ticket to enjoy the show. The tout may also be a fan of the band, but that's not really his motivation is it.

Of course, of course, people are free to do with their money and their possessions and I'm obviously a naive romantic :) but there's definitely a watch industry talking out of both sides of the mouth. -And yes of course that's the case, what industry doesn't.

For example, those Patek Philippe ads:

858efed077ef91d2ca00c2c7a60352da.jpg

Is the young fella really thinking - Cripes I can't wait til Granda pops his clogs so I can get RRP +20% for that?:pac:

In the petrolhead world the term "flipper" is used in the pejorative. The inferenceis that the person actually has no interest in cars, is only after the quick buck, doesn't service the car or add any value through ownership, doesn't experience the car, doesn't form any relationship with it, and those actions actually only serve to deny genuine fans or aficionados access to the motor.

That does NOT appear to be the case with the watch market, where flipping is common, or perhaps even the norm and certainly everyone one here on this forum appears to be long term dyed-in-the-wool, very knowledgeable, uber watch fans and flipping I guess is just how you build up your watch ownership CV / catalogue.

In my naive opinion it runs counter to the watch industry's attempt at a noble facade where watches are about ownership and personal statement and heritage, and not just the next shiny thing. -But as point 8 on the graph says, that was always ever only boll0x anyway :o

In watch circles I have seen flipper applied to two quite different persons :

1. A guy buying watches purely to resell for profit, particularly all that above-retail Rolex type stuff (ie private dealer)

2. A guy constantly buying watches he likes but quickly selling to buy something else. More kind of short-attention-span people, not really looking to make a profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭C0N0R

Cyrus wrote: »
    the owner thing is neither here nor there,

the chap who sold it originally was the first owner, everyone else who had it didnt buy to keep, Fitz bought it from him to trade against the hulk i assume, the hulk dealer was always going to sell it and obviously the chap who had it from him was a trader also

Can someone explain this to me, with cars you’re generally better off not having a trade in - cash buyer, but with watches it seems to be a better scenario? I can understand if it’s a swap of two watches both parties want but not really with a dealer. Or is it just a case of guys being able to pick up a watch real cheap and therefore trading it. Would you not be better selling it straight for cash?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,743 ✭✭✭micks_address

C0N0R wrote: »
    Can someone explain this to me, with cars you’re generally better off not having a trade in - cash buyer, but with watches it seems to be a better scenario? I can understand if it’s a swap of two watches both parties want but not really with a dealer. Or is it just a case of guys being able to pick up a watch real cheap and therefore trading it. Would you not be better selling it straight for cash?

totally depends.. id say a Rolex is probably the only good chance you have from doing well on a trade in (depends on model).. they the only brand that mostly appreciate from stay the same from retail... most omega drop at least a third once bought from retail.. sometimes a half... move up to patek etc... and AP then its a different ball game

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭redlead

fat bloke wrote: »

It's an odd one it really is. I don't understand why a fella who can put his hand to 3 and a half grand at short notice needs to turn that into €3595 ono within 24 hours. Where's the win? If you want a picture of yourself wearing a seamaster, then just spend an hour in Weir and sons with your selfie stick. It makes me think that the interest is in the flip and not the watch. It's the difference between the tout buying the ticket to sell outside the stadium, and the fan buying the ticket to enjoy the show. The tout may also be a fan of the band, but that's not really his motivation is it.

Excellent post overall but that's the nail on the head in my opinion. I guess you could argue that you are using your knowledge of watches to earn a few quid, but as you say, that puts the interest in the flip and not the actual watch. Just seems a bit dirty to me ....

In the interest of consolidating my collection and hopefully pulling together a bit of cash I am going to sell My Steinhart Ocean One Black Ceramic - €300 boards price

0emlAqnl.jpg

Also going to sell my Mondaine Evo2 - €100
    p2LBNd9l.jpg

And Casio Edifice (EQW-M110) - €80
    r5veeVEl.jpg

If anyone is interested in any of them send me a PM

What size is steinhart?

• Advertisement

What size is steinhart?

42mm

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭tmg

downsizing the watches I dont wear anymore, and reckon these may be of interest here. all watches are very lightly worn, maybe a weeks worth per, so the usual rubbing marks on the bottom of the bracelets. bought in 2013.

note that the pics show some dust! not scratches.

1 orient mako (blue) €120
    ZjzzDyE.jpg

1 orient mako XL (blue) €130
    gdanxZ1.jpg

1 orient mako XL (orange) €130

4qSteMT.jpg

and 4 invictas (bought in a moment of lunacy, worn once or twice, rub marks on bracelets)

150 for the lot, 60 each if sold separately.

1 x 3047 green bezel grand diver
    1 x 3048 yellow face grand diver
    1 x 0420 titanium diver
    1 x 10641-3yb green face grand diver

6l7eZM1.jpg?1

tmg wrote: »
    and 4 invictas (bought in a moment of lunacy, worn once or twice, rub marks on bracelets)

150 for the lot, 60 each if sold separately.

1 x 3047 green bezel grand diver
    1 x 3048 yellow face grand diver
    1 x 0420 titanium diver
    1 x 10641-3yb green face grand diver

6l7eZM1.jpg?1

The kid is a fan of 2 of those, so if they are still available?

I'll do the deal for 4?

and sold! pm inbound.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,443 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Hi all

Looking at selling my Hamilton Murph.

Haven’t worn it much.

Am looking for €670 including shipping via registered mail.

Payment by PayPal or Revolut nett to me

Some quick pics, will add some more including box etc

Any questions, fire away

DT

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

Pm sent re murph

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Cassius99

A long shot I know, but if anyone is thinking of parting with a Seiko SKXA35 Bumblebee anytime in the future then keep me in mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gerfmurphy

Long shot but breguet tradition on the chopping block. Listed on tz-UK but available to anyone here also of course.

• Advertisement

gerfmurphy wrote: »
    Long shot but breguet tradition on the chopping block. Listed on tz-UK but available to anyone here also of course.

I was admiring it earlier! Very nice!

Lots of lurker amazing pieces on this forum. Would be great to see them in the pictures thread more often.

Advertisement