Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coast Guard UL

• 10-06-2014 7:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭

Lot of activity around UL this evening, ambulances and helicopter.. dosen't look good.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,266 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

You gotta hand it to the Indo...whenever there is a traveller/gangland incident in Limerick they are on the ball.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 27 Bandit 6

Horses should be banned from that pathway in UL, no place for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,338 ✭✭✭✭phog

You gotta hand it to the Indo...whenever there is a traveller/gangland incident in Limerick they are on the ball.

In fairness it was a S&R and was as news worthy as any other S&R.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭DaveR1

To be fair, I saw the helicopter last night, I have the indo app, and I checked their website trying to find out information this morning and couldn't find the story. Its not on their main news page and its not a main story in the irish news section.

Any drowning should be reported in the media to highlight the prevalence of drowning and the dangers associated with water. There were a good few drownings during the summer last year in the Limerick/Clare areas, all reported in the media aswell. Nothing to do with who was involved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 236 ✭✭swim2

They found a body this morning in the river

Body of man recovered from river at University of Limerick
    Members of Limerick Marine Search and Rescue at UL last night

by Brian O’Connor and David Hurley
    news@limerickleader.ie

Published on the 11 June
    09:48

A BODY has been recovered from the river Shannon at the University of Limerick near where a man got into difficulty last evening.

The alarm was raised shortly after 6pm with members of the Fire Service, Limerick Marine Search and Rescue and gardai all responding.

Rescue 115 - the Shannon-based coastguard helicopter - also assisted in the search operation for several hours under nightfall.

The search resumed early this morning with divers from the Killaloe-Ballina Search and Recovery unit also providing assistance.

The body was located in an area of the river adjacent to the old swimming pool at UL at around 9.10am.

The body has not yet been formally identified but is believed to be that of the missing man.

According to several eye-witnesses, the man got into difficulty after he entered the water with a horse at an area of the river known locally as the Sandy. There are reports that the horse also drowned.

Investigations are continuing and a post mortem will be carried out later at University Hospital Limerick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

DaveR1 wrote: »
    To be fair, I saw the helicopter last night, I have the indo app, and I checked their website trying to find out information this morning and couldn't find the story. Its not on their main news page and its not a main story in the irish news section.

Any drowning should be reported in the media to highlight the prevalence of drowning and the dangers associated with water. There were a good few drownings during the summer last year in the Limerick/Clare areas, all reported in the media aswell. Nothing to do with who was involved.

I agree, with over 150 people drowning on an annual basis everything needs to be done to highlight water safety, but there is no way all of those drownings hit the national headlines...

These stories have appeared on the Indo website over the last three days

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/poker-star-featured-on-late-late-loses-279k-in-crime-cash-30338935.html

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/abuse-case-boy-2-held-open-beer-can-and-was-visibly-sunburnt-30346683.html

They all fit the narrative. I am sorry to have to highlight this on a thread with a tragic end such as this, but that Narrative is doing this city a degree of damage. I have also noticed that they do not allow comments on most of their Limerick related stories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭yankinlk

Unfortunately headlines and not accuracy in reporting is the order of the day.

Killaloe Ballina Search and Recovery unit (KBSR) made the recovery today. Well done to all units that were involved in the search.

RIP

Advertisement