Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in older estates celbridge

Options
  • 10-06-2014 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Can anyone tell me which broadband providers they use in some of the older estates in Celbridge. The Willowbrook estates seem to be a broadband black hole. Seems the phone lines suck. Anyone any advice?

Cheers :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Coopaloop

Puddleduck wrote: »
    Hey all,

Can anyone tell me which broadband providers they use in some of the older estates in Celbridge. The Willowbrook estates seem to be a broadband black hole. Seems the phone lines suck. Anyone any advice?

Cheers :)

Well my parents estate - Vanessa Close, for ages they could only get eircom, upc wouldn't go near the place as most people had either a sky dish or normal aerial tv, but when the saor view thing came in they were around the houses trying to get people to swith over to them with phone tv and broadband, and then sky also offer broadband although that's run off the eircom lines as far as I know. Their eircom broadband is quite slow, although it's only 25mb, where as I think we have 120mb with upc in primrose gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Puddleduck

Thanks for the response. Yea, I feared as much. I can get sky but the phone lines seem like they are kinda sucky coz the estates are older. Dunno what Im gunna do. Downgrading from 100mb to 2mb :(

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭L1011

VDSL ("eFibre") is still being rolled out in Celbridge and should increase the available speeds on most telephone lists to about 40mbit up to 100mbit in some cases. Willowbrook looks to be connected to the exchange directly from Eircom's maps so it'll probably be last to get it - it may not be, in which case there's still a lot of cabinets to go in on that side of town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Seansweeney

I also live in Willowbrook area and I am currently with UTVip for internet. Best I get is about 1.3 mb a second down (eircom phone line).
    Eircom have given me very little insight as to if or when VDSL will be available.

Given that UPC completely ignored the area and have said there are no plans to expand to it over the last 3 years of calling them, I feel like yes, it is a black hole!

Shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 poppy1974

Hi,
    Would anybody know if Celbridge Abbey is a nice estate for young kids?
    Did you hear of any trouble in this estate?
    Somebody was saying that Stewarts Hospital has a branch in there?
    Any ideas?
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Italia

I am also in Willowbrook, and only viable option at this time is Eircom.
    Maybe I'm one of the lucky ones, but I consistently get between 17-19Mb on a 24Mb ADSL line, so no worries there. More than adequate for my needs.

UPC laughed in my face when I asked. Totally uninterested.
    And don' get me started on the efibre debacle. Am still very p*ssed off with Eircom. Big fanfare saying efibre is available, blah blah blah. Sent me letters and phone calls asking If I wanted it. When I said ok, they said sorry, not available. Talk about ****ty advertising.... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Italia

I lived in Celbridge Abbey for a while a good few years ago, so not sure what current conditions are. Lots of kids around at the time.

Majority of the people living in the estate were great, unfortunately some were real stick in the mud types...and VERY nosy.
    poppy1974 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Would anybody know if Celbridge Abbey is a nice estate for young kids?
    Did you hear of any trouble in this estate?
    Somebody was saying that Stewarts Hospital has a branch in there?
    Any ideas?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭robinwing

What is the best/fastest for Crodaun anybody know ?

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Coopaloop

robinwing wrote: »
    What is the best/fastest for Crodaun anybody know ?

UPC is always going to be best and fastest, it all depends tho if it's available in that estate. You would need to call them up and inquire.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Puddleduck

Yea I rang eircom to find out what was going on with the phone lines considering according to their online coverage map Im in range for efiber but when I spoke to a customer rep they said theres no plans to upgrade any of the willowbrooks to efiber. Im with sky and Im getting around 1.3mb. I dont get why theyre ignoring the willowbrooks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement