Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BTEA and SUSI

Options
  • 10-06-2014 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi guys. I have applied for college this year as a mature student and I won't know if I've been accepted until the first week in July. I know I can't apply for BTEA until I know if I've got my place or not but I've heard I have to apply to SUSI to cover my fees before this Friday coming but I can't seem to find if this is true or not on the web (maybe I'm looking in the wrong places). Can anyone here give me any idea of what I'm meant to be doing? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭paulc1000

In the same boat and have applied to susi to cover the grant as the btea is just the weekly payment. Have just come from a vtos course and this is what we were told to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 ParamoreBaby

paulc1000 wrote: »
    In the same boat and have applied to susi to cover the grant as the btea is just the weekly payment. Have just come from a vtos course and this is what we were told to do.

Are you just renewing your SUSI from last year? I'm a new applicant ya see, so I'm really not sure.

Ah, I think I've just found it. New applicants have until August 1st to apply. It was written right in front of my face this whole time, panicked for no reason, haha.

Are you just renewing your SUSI from last year? I'm a new applicant ya see, so I'm really not sure.

No first year applying for susi grant. Vtos was just a fetac level 5 course. Heading onto college in sept hopefully.

I applied 2 weeks ago. Ive heard there does be a back log so best to get everything in as early as you can.

• Advertisement

Okay, so even if I haven't been accepted yet I can get the ball rolling? What happens if I'm not accepted onto my course?

Yea better to get it in soon as. I presume susi get notified of whos been accepted onto places from the colleges and pay the grants then

Yea better to get it in soon as. I presume susi get notified of whos been accepted onto places from the colleges and pay the grants then

Great, thanks for your help. I'll get on it right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭nobodyknows

Yes apply for to SUSI now, if you don't get a place on the course you just email them to cancel your application, keep in mind that this won't need to be done until after round two offers as even if you don't get a place in july you could sill get one in august.

When you fill out the SUSI form they will ask if you are planning to apply for BTEA, this is so they know if your applying for just the fees grant only or if your also applying for the maintenance grant too.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭nobodyknows

whether or not SUSI is the better option is down to individual cases

If I went for SUSI only I'd get fees covered and 100% Non-adjacent maintenance which is €5,915 this works out as €164 a week

if I went for SUSI and BTEA, I'd get fees covered and €188 a week

obviously if your Welfare is capped at the lower figure then a full SUSI grant may be better, as I said ever persons case is different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭dobbs2210

Hi, need sone advice abd help.
    Basically, I've been unemployed for 4 years, receiving JSA. Took up a training course through Tús October 2013. Finished it in one week. Starting a PLC Fetac 1 year course through lical college.
    Don't know what I will qualify for or what I shoukd apply for if I qualify for anything at all.
    Can I apply for back to Education Allowance.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Yabazza

Hey all, I'm a mature student starting a level 7 course in Sligo in September. I've been on BTEA for the last 2 years doing level 5 and 6 but never received a grant before. I applied to SUSI back in June and my application is awaiting final assessment. I just received registration docs and they mention a student contribution fee of €2750.

My research seems to indicate that the grant will cover that but I'm starting to panic because I don't know if my grant application will be successful. I'm finding it hard just to get a deposit together for accommodation.

Just wondering if I've gone about things the right way?

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭eigenboggle

Hi Yabazza,

That sounds like the correct approach to me. That is how I have gone about applying anyway. There is a page on the susi website where they show reckonable income limits for student contribution grants. I can't post a link unfortunately as I am still a "new user". It might give you a better idea as to whether your grant will be successful or not. It sounds like you have nothing to worry about as you have been on back to education.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Yabazza

Cheers mate. Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭eigenboggle

Good luck with the grant and with the course!

Advertisement