Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Being stopped by the Guards

Options
  • 10-06-2014 8:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

*I've heard that IF stopped by the guards, and you ask for your rights etc in Irish and the Guard is not able to comply and give you the rights in Irish, you get away scot free ( unless its a really bad offense )

*Also is it against the law to record the guards if they are questioning you? A friend's phone was told to be put away when questioned and then took the phone away from him and they wouldn't allow him to record.
    *They did not have a permit etc to be in the building and he owns the building.
    *They also wouldn't give them there badge number or what ever you want to call it, isn't that against the Law in some way?

*Also is there any laws or rights I should remember if i am ever questioned by the guards to use against them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭beyondbelief67

Maybe try to not be doing anything that they need to stop you for in the first place instead of pulling one over on them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 WhatzLogin

Sometimes they tend to just question you with suspicion, also you didn't answer any of the questions ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

WhatzLogin wrote: »
    *I've heard that IF stopped by the guards, and you ask for your rights etc in Irish and the Guard is not able to comply and give you the rights in Irish, you get away scot free ( unless its a really bad offense )

You have an entitlement to be dealt with in Irish. However it doesn;t have to be by that particular Garda. They could just get another Garda to come along and chat to you. There's actually quite a few Gardaí who speak Irish, especially in Dublin. God help you if you cannot keep up the conversation in Irish though.
    *Also is it against the law to record the guards if they are questioning you? A friend's phone was told to be put away when questioned and then took the phone away from him and they wouldn't allow him to record.

It's not against the law to record someone but your phone can be seized as evidence in certain cases. For example, if you were fiming me arresting a mate and he swung a punch and hit me I would seize your phone as evidence. It's no different to cctv in that regard. Also it's plain and simple rude to record someone against their wishes so you will likely piss them off too.

I presume you mean a warrant. Gardaí have leeway when it comes to entering private property and it all depends on the circumstances.
    *They also wouldn't give them there badge number or what ever you want to call it, isn't that against the Law in some way?

No. Gardaí don't have badge numbers. It can be a disciplinary matter not to identify yourself in some circumstances and some laws require a Garda to identify themselves before performing certain acts such as searching someone. But if they are in uniform with a shoulder number it's irrelevant.
    *Also is there any laws or rights I should remember if i am ever questioned by the guards to use against them?

If you act like a dick you'll be treated like one. It's a universal law so it works in other countries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Elektronske

Why do you want this information, what were you doing ?
    None of these scobie style dodges work by the way.
    And you cannot record a conversation with someone without a) their knowledge b) their consent.

I haven't done anything, just my friend was stopped and his private building was searched with out a warrant or without the Guards identifying themselves..

also I've watched to many people getting stopped and knowing there rights such as not having to get out of ur car in certain cases, it's just for if I did ever do anything.

• Advertisement

You have an entitlement to be dealt with in Irish. However it doesn;t have to be by that particular Garda. They could just get another Garda to come along and chat to you. There's actually quite a few Gardaí who speak Irish, especially in Dublin. God help you if you cannot keep up the conversation in Irish though.

It's not against the law to record someone but your phone can be seized as evidence in certain cases. For example, if you were fiming me arresting a mate and he swung a punch and hit me I would seize your phone as evidence. It's no different to cctv in that regard. Also it's plain and simple rude to record someone against their wishes so you will likely piss them off too.

I presume you mean a warrant. Gardaí have leeway when it comes to entering private property and it all depends on the circumstances.

No. Gardaí don't have badge numbers. It can be a disciplinary matter not to identify yourself in some circumstances and some laws require a Garda to identify themselves before performing certain acts such as searching someone. But if they are in uniform with a shoulder number it's irrelevant.

If you act like a dick you'll be treated like one. It's a universal law so it works in other countries.

Also I wasn't being a dick as you said.

There is a much simpler, easier way - Don't be a scobie, and you won't be treated as one

Also I wasn't being a dick as you said.

I didn't say you were.

I didn't say you were.

I know you weren't I'm just saying I wasn't and I'd never break the Law

Do we have the right to refuse being searched?
    just heard it before and was just curious does that comply in Ireland, ( It was a American video and I know that our laws would most certainly be different )

• Advertisement

Do we have the right to refuse being searched?
    just heard it before and was just curious does that comply in Ireland, ( It was a American video and I know that our laws would most certainly be different )

You can refuse a voluntary search but not a legal one.

There is a much simpler, easier way - Don't be a scobie, and you won't be treated as one

I never was and never would be, I was just asking about what rights do we have if we are pulled over or asked to be searched personally or in a car or building or in any Law situation, there was no reason to be smart about it..

You can refuse a voluntary search but not a legal one.

Okay thank you, and what rights should I keep in mind if I come in contact with a Guard?

Okay thank you, and what rights should I keep in mind if I come in contact with a Guard?

As the GAA teach children when interacting with anyone : give respect, get respect

As the GAA teach children : give respect > get respect

I'm guessing you have never been stopped for a ridiculous reason? I've had someone who was *under the speed limit* on a road and was stopped .. and don't say the Guard is never wrong cause it happens to everyone every once and awhile.

I've been stopped for many reasons, I just chat to them and then we head on our separate ways. If he's a grouch or ignorant, I don't waste my time responding in kind. Very simple, most Guards do this in order to flush out the scobies. Scobies always bite, they can't resist.

I've been stopped for many reasons, I just chat to them and then we head on our separate ways. If he's a grouch, ignorant or stupid, I don't waste my time responding in kind and being a dick as well. Very simple.

Fair enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

without the Guards identifying themselves
    Were the uniforms not a clue as to their identity?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭GoodLord

all the garda fan boys are out

The scobies have crawled out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭thebullkf

The scobies have crawled out

2 pages in and you've mentioned scobies numerous tines. And no help either, why post??

To answer the op, it's illegal to record someone's voice, without their consent, unless it's in public afaik, better minds than mine may assist further.

As regards being stopped for nothing, it does happen, I grew up in a rough disadvantaged area, regularly stopped and questioned, searched for no reason other than only what I can guess at. I'm not a scobie, and as a parent I wouldn't like anyone in my family to be stopped and felt 2 feet tall, as I did when I was stopped. I used to meet a girl at a shop every Friday when I was a teenager, the shop was in her vicinity , and Every. Single. Friday. The same two guards would stop, question, and search me on the street, even when y girlfriend was there. It was embarrassing and quite frankly way ott. Even the shopkeeper whom I'd built up a rapport with, came out at one stage and requested they leave me alone. And he was an ex Garda himself. The epaulettes are easily identifiable, it's when they remove them you know there's trouble coming. Have seen it many times.

I have a lot of respect for the guards and the work they do, there are ass hats everywhere, in every profession. Some Reas suffer more than others.

Ask them what they are stopping you for, in future, most Garda are reasonable nd will tell you. Above all, treat others as you would lie to be treated and you'll be grand :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭GoodLord

thebullkf wrote: »
    2 pages in and you've mentioned scobies numerous tines. And no help either, why post??

To answer the op, it's illegal to record someone's voice, without their consent, unless it's in public afaik, better minds than mine may assist further.

As regards being stopped for nothing, it does happen, I grew up in a rough disadvantaged area, regularly stopped and questioned, searched for no reason other than only what I can guess at. I'm not a scobie, and as a parent I wouldn't like anyone in my family to be stopped and felt 2 feet tall, as I did when I was stopped. I used to meet a girl at a shop every Friday when I was a teenager, the shop was in her vicinity , and Every. Single. Friday. The same two guards would stop, question, and search me on the street, even when y girlfriend was there. It was embarrassing and quite frankly way ott. Even the shopkeeper whom I'd built up a rapport with, came out at one stage and requested they leave me alone. And he was an ex Garda himself. The epaulettes are easily identifiable, it's when they remove them you know there's trouble coming. Have seen it many times.

I have a lot of respect for the guards and the work they do, there are ass hats everywhere, in every profession. Some Reas suffer more than others.

Ask them what they are stopping you for, in future, most Garda are reasonable nd will tell you. Above all, treat others as you would lie to be treated and you'll be grand :)
    and i would question if they can take a camera. they would not get mine anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

I didn't say you were.

Just out of curiosity little cuchulainn , it was a very long post. so you seem to know first hand. Do guards have numbers?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Typical boards tbh. Guy asks a question about the Gardai and is immediately accused of being a disrespectful degenerate scrote with little or no reference to the question.

I too would like to know my rights if I'm stopped by the gardai, so if anyone actually knows something about the topic kindly step forward.

AFAIK, you are allowed to record and/or video the gardai if you are pulled over. It's a public place and as such perfectly legal. Something that's up and coming in other countries is to have a two way dash cam to record any confrontation in case something sketchy happens. Now obviously you run the risk of pissing them off if you jam a camera in their face/if they find out you're recording them so you'd want to be careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,289 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I don't know. You should try it. All of it. Then let us know. So we'd all know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭jantheman91

If he can't give your rights in Irish, there's very little he can do.

''An bhfuil tú abalta na rialacha a insint dom as Gaeilge, le do thoil?''.

That usually works.

If he can't give your rights in Irish, there's very little he can do.

''An bhfuil tú abalta na rialacha a insint dom as Gaeilge, le do thoil?''.

That usually works.

To which the appropriate response, of course, would be 'an bhfuil tú in ann a chur ar mo chos amach as do thóin?

endacl wrote: »
    To which the appropriate response, of course, would be 'an bhfuil tú in ann a chur ar mo chos amach as do thóin?

To which my reply would be - An bhfuil tú abalta mo cheist a fhreagairt - Tá nó níl?

Most Gardaí haven't a clue how to even pronounce Irish words, let alone speak them, which makes your reply a non-runner.

Their own fault really, and it makes getting away with small things very very easy.

To which my reply would be - An bhfuil tú abalta mo cheist a fhreagairt - Tá nó níl?

Tá.

;)

• Advertisement

endacl wrote: »
    Tá.

;)

Bhfuel, lean ar aghaidh...

We wouldn't even get this far into the conversation. ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement