Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Steam Summer Sale 2014

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly

Stanley Parable?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭gazzamc

Stanley Parable?

Don't have that but I don't know if ill like it.. Looks kind of boring..

If it goes lower I may pick it up..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly

Papers please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Papers please?

Here you go...

ahm_1494743f.jpg

Papers please?

I've played it.. It worth maybe 99c tbh..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

gazzamc wrote: »
    Don't have that but I don't know if ill like it.. Looks kind of boring..

If it goes lower I may pick it up..

Best way to survive Steam Sales is don't dump the dosh on something cheap that you wouldn't be interested in otherwise. If the Stanley Parable looks boring, or you're not interested in it, then don't pick it up just because it's on sale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Anyone else getting the sneaking suspicion that you've bought all the interesting stuff on Steam already? :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

nesf wrote: »
    Anyone else getting the sneaking suspicion that you've bought all the interesting stuff on Steam already? :P

A long time ago, doesn't stop me spending money :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

Jesus the Greens have come out with a vengeance today. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,891 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Links234 wrote: »
    Best way to survive Steam Sales is don't dump the dosh on something cheap that you wouldn't be interested in otherwise. If the Stanley Parable looks boring, or you're not interested in it, then don't pick it up just because it's on sale.

Also I find that items on sale usually end up cheaper by the time you finally get around to playing them ... so only buy stuff that you reckon you're gonna actually play in the next month or so :D

(says I with several Games with Gold Xbox / GOG.com games I've downloaded and not even opened)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

But its only €4.79!!! Thats the price of a pint! **** this I'm buying it, and Age Of Empires.

Moi? Not in the least, I've just been through a few Steam sales and getting something just because it's cheap can tend to make for some clutter of unplayed games. I still have things from last year's summer sale I've not even touched yet (Max Payne 3, Alan Wake Franchise pack) and things that I've not played at all yet (LA Noire, X-Com).

My survival tips for Steam sales would be, know what you want going in, and have an idea of the kind of price you'd like to pay for it. Be really careful with impulse purchases, make sure it's the kind of game you'd like and check the ratings/reviews beforehand. Don't buy something cheap just because it's something you 'might' play, try and only buy things you know you'll play.

Just tried the demo.. Not my game.. I guess I'll just wait for something I like lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

MadYaker wrote: »
    and Age Of Empires.

AoE2 HD is definitely worth a punt if you enjoyed the original. Still a great RTS years on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Yup, got it pretty bad this year so far.

All the games going I already have, and a lot of the indie ones aren't a massive interest to me.

I'm not complaining mind, previous Steam sales have served me so well that my gaming collection is immense and I have great selecting of games, many of which I haven't finished yet!

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Anyone having trouble with the steam client? It won't let me add papers please to my cart. Why won't you shut up and take my money steam? :(

Also, does anyone reckon Stanley Parable will run ok on a bog standard-ish laptop with an intel integrated graphics?

gazzamc wrote: »
    Just tried the demo.. Not my game.. I guess I'll just wait for something I like lol

There ya go! Shop smart, shop S-Mart :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Yeti Beast

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Anyone having trouble with the steam client? It won't let me add papers please to my cart. Why won't you shut up and take my money steam? :(

Had that problem earlier with a different game - working now though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Already own most of the stuff on sale today bar the early access stuff which i'm not touching with a 9 foot pole. Crafted my first badge earlier. Given the blue team have been ****e so far probably not going to matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Also, does anyone reckon Stanley Parable will run ok on a bog standard-ish laptop with an intel integrated graphics?

If you can run HL2/Portal okay then this should perform about the same, maybe a bit better as the levels aren't that complex.

• Advertisement

Aaaaaand... girlfriend just gifted me Van Helsing 2 :D

I got her Payday 2 today and the Commandos/Desperados collection on GOG ;)

Think I've pretty much got what I wanted out of this sale, unless something else comes up that really blows me away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

I feel sorry for the people that won a game that was less than 2 euro on sale already.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

If you can run HL2/Portal okay then this should perform about the same, maybe a bit better as the levels aren't that complex.

It ran the first Witcher game, just, if that's any indicator? Runs Civ 5 fine with everything turned down too.

Edit: system requirements lab says I can run it so that's good enough for me :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,313 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Started playing Marlow Briggs. So far I'm surprised how cheap it was considering I would describe it as a cross between God of War and Enslaved. Probably a short game.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Cmon Tropico, come down under €30, im board ****less

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭MacBizzle

Any good games for sale for €1.79 or under? Might as well empty my Steam Wallet :P

Moi? Not in the least, I've just been through a few Steam sales and getting something just because it's cheap can tend to make for some clutter of unplayed games. I still have things from last year's summer sale I've not even touched yet (Max Payne 3, Alan Wake Franchise pack) and things that I've not played at all yet (LA Noire, X-Com).

My survival tips for Steam sales would be, know what you want going in, and have an idea of the kind of price you'd like to pay for it. Be really careful with impulse purchases, make sure it's the kind of game you'd like and check the ratings/reviews beforehand. Don't buy something cheap just because it's something you 'might' play, try and only buy things you know you'll play.

You clearly don't understand the point of Steam Sales! Deep discounts are for games you might play... ;)

(This is actually kinda true, if you're not young/student, if Skyrim was something you'd definitely play, you'd have bought it already)

It ran the first Witcher game, just, if that's any indicator? Runs Civ 5 fine with everything turned down too.

My laptop can't run the Witcher 1 with an FPS above about 10, but it can run Far Cry 3 on medium-high settings at ~40FPS... :confused:

You clearly don't understand the point of Steam Sales! Deep discounts are for games you might play... ;)

(This is actually kinda true, if you're not young/student, if Skyrim was something you'd definitely play, you'd have bought it already)

Just trying to advise people on how to avoid the "Why the **** did I buy that?" thing and having a clutter of games they'll never play ;)

(I got Skyrim for Christmas when it came out)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Just finished 2 games of contagion and its a blast. They go down the restrict ammo, swarms of slow zombies approach, which is really refreshing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,752 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

It came out in November 2011 slacker! :D

Ahh, i cant really slag ye off, i only got Rage there yesterday :D

Just trying to advise people on how to avoid the "Why the **** did I buy that?" thing and having a clutter of games they'll never play ;)

(I got Skyrim for Christmas when it came out)

I don't experience that. I've a large stack of games I want to play, I don't really have any "why did I buy that?" ones. :P

This is what I mean, mostly when I look at the sales in the genres I play it looks like this:

qqXz1e3.jpg

Green = purchased and Wasteland shouldn't be there, it's an RPG (and looks promising but I'm wary of Early Access usually, a notable exception being Prison Architect there).

Any of the interesting, nicely discounted stuff tends to be games I already own (or, be Early Access which I'm usually not interested in).

That reminds me, i've had wasteland 2 on my wishlist for ages too, still a shockingly high price for it though :/

MacBizzle wrote: »
    My laptop can't run the Witcher 1 with an FPS above about 10, but it can run Far Cry 3 on medium-high settings at ~40FPS... :confused:

That seems bizarre. I have 6gb of ram and an i3 processor but the graphics is the HD family which is brutal. Witcher ran fine, I have no idea what the fps was (wouldn't even know how to check tbh) but it seemed no different to any other game I've played, there were some issues when the screen got cluttered with enemies or there was a lot going on but for the most part it was fine.

seriously doubt I could run far cry 3 at any setting though I was temopted to give the Stick of Truth a go since it looks like a south park cartoon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Is this sale seriously under-performing or were Valve actually prepared this time, as my new games are actually downloading at full speed.

I usually have to play around with regions.

That seems bizarre. I have 6gb of ram and an i3 processor but the graphics is the HD family which is brutal. Witcher ran fine, I have no idea what the fps was (wouldn't even know how to check tbh) but it seemed no different to any other game I've played, there were some issues when the screen got cluttered with enemies or there was a lot going on but for the most part it was fine.

seriously doubt I could run far cry 3 at any setting though I was temopted to give the Stick of Truth a go since it looks like a south park cartoon.

I think the game was clashing with AMD Catalyst Control Centre and it was stuck on ultra settings or something. My laptop should still have been able to handle that well though :P Could be a Windows 8 issue as well, the game is fairly old.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

So far I got the new state of decay doc,payday 2 and prison architect .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

First purchase of the Steam Sale 2014: Wasteland 2. Just had to as I know I will sink hours into it. For those wondering, its official release is August, so its practically finished.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    Cmon Tropico, come down under €30, im board ****less

Yours for only 19eu
    http://www.kinguin.net/category/5915/tropico-5-steam-gift/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Falthyron wrote: »
    First purchase of the Steam Sale 2014: Wasteland 2. Just had to as I know I will sink hours into it. For those wondering, its official release is August, so its practically finished.

Is it at good playable state right now? You can start it and finish it? I am really worried about single player story games like this.

Is it at good playable state right now? You can start it and finish it? I am really worried about single player story games like this.

From what I understand, it is possible to complete it. However, there may be bugs and problems towards the later stage of the game. Maybe, wait until the Xmas sale if you really want a flawless, complete edition. I, on the other hand, can't wait! :D

Also, its been three days since the sale started and I haven't bought anything. I couldn't hold out any longer! :P

I heard somewhere the release will be cheaper than the early access

I heard somewhere the release will be cheaper than the early access

Nooooooooooo!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,699 ✭✭✭Glebee

I fear my friend this might be true. One to many steam sale has beaten me. A few items on my wish list but will wait till last day if nothing turns up on daily sales between then.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Im really tempted by that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

So far so good.

Have purchased payday2, the stanley parable, skyrim legendary, super meat boy and bioshock infinite.

Main games I'm looking out for is some of the earlier assassin's creed games (want to play them again but on pc) and civ V.

I bought Defy Gravity Extended, because it was €0.19 :o

I bought Defy Gravity Extended, because it was €0.19 :o

You'd probably make a profit selling the cards lol

• Advertisement
Advertisement