Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Steam Summer Sale 2014

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,435 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Vojera wrote: »
    This card thing is addictive. I had a euro from selling cards, used it to buy cards to complete badges, then sold more cards, crafted more badges, bought some cards, all with the same money. I refuse to spend "non-card" money on them, which makes it even more challenging.

It's like winning €2 on a scratch card, using it to get another scratch card, winning a free scratch card, winning €4, buying two more cards, winning €2, buying another card...

It's a genius marketing idea. They actually turned the sale itself into a game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

gazzamc wrote: »
    Ah Mass Effect collection.. Why you no sell DLC cheap EA???

I don't know whether to grab it or not.. And just get DLC from other sources :P

For anyone wondering you can't buy DLC directly and need to purchase bioware points.. It's about €150 for all DLC combined..

That's how they get you.. Ah sure one more card won't hurt lol
    Funny thing is the collection is more expensive then buying the two separately (6.98 vs. 6.99 combined)...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Yeti Beast

VinLieger wrote: »
    You mean tomorrow? Im gonna put off buying tomb raider till after 6 today just in the hope it might be Blues turn tomorrow
    Nody wrote: »
    Actually Tomorrow as today is Pink's day of winning :pac:

After 6PM is still today, which is when the new day of sales starts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,644 ✭✭✭✭nesf

gazzamc wrote: »
    Ah Mass Effect collection.. Why you no sell DLC cheap EA???

Son, don't worry! You have have it for next to nothing, now walk over here and install Origin.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Suffice to say seriously disappointed this sale very few if any of my main wishlist items have been on any of the big sales, ill pick tombraider up at some point over the next 30 hours its still available but still theres really been nothing else worth bothering about for me
    The daily sale price ends today at 6pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,397 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Yeti Beast wrote: »
    After 6PM is still today, which is when the new day of sales starts.

Yes but as far as the sale and game is concerned 6pm is the start of the next day as the team day resets at 10am pdt which is 6pm irish time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭abbir

The "daily" deals actually last 48 hours.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,435 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Daily deals last 2 days, they always have "Yesterday's deals" at the bottom of the page.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭gazzamc

nesf wrote: »
    Son, don't worry! You have have it for next to nothing, now walk over here and install Origin.

I already have it installed for Battlefield, I don't mind using it ( but prefer steam).. I just wish they would release a complete bundle like Dragon Age Origins.. This here's the base game for nothing and if you want DLC empty your bank account attitude is annoying..

Sad part is the trilogy was going for $7 on gamersgate last month but was NA only.. We get ripped off here (it was €25 at the time) now I wouldn't mind paying it but they include no DLC with it.. Scam Artists..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,397 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Yup but tomb raiders a daily so it will up up for yesterdays sales as well so another 24 hours

• Advertisement

Yes but as far as the sale and game is concerned 6pm is the start of the next day as the team day resets at 10am pdt which is 6pm irish time

That's what I said?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Vote for Strategy/Action. I want Transistor!

Done, just for you ;)

*May not be just for you, I kinda had my eye on Transistor

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

It's been a pretty great sale for me so far. Got The Walking Dead s2 and The Wolf Among us, as well as a few other cheap titles that i've wanted for a while now. Will probably pick up Wasteland 2 as well, and will get Divinity if it comes around again (decided to skip it for some reason earlier).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

Links234 wrote: »
    Done, just for you ;)

*May not be just for you, I kinda had my eye on Transistor

٩(^ᴗ^)۶

Yeah! Roll on 6pm. I'll be devastated now if it doesn't come up. :P

Mass Effect is tempting me now, but I'm still kinda meh about whether I want to get anything else just yet. :o I might just wait until the end of the sale if there's nothing else that pops up for me.

Oh, by the way, Deus Ex: Human Revolution is well worth it for a fiver! ;) outstanding game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Links234 wrote: »
    Mass Effect is tempting me now, but I'm still kinda meh about whether I want to get anything else just yet. :o I might just wait until the end of the sale if there's nothing else that pops up for me.

If you haven't played Mass Effect, then get Mass Effect. There's no room for meh here.

Same goes for Dragon Age too, €5 for Dragon Age and all it's DLC is crazy good value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

nether any good? bought it anyway but is it any good?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Damage so far is

Democracy 3
    Walking Dead Season 2
    State of Decay
    Papers Please
    Stanley Parable
    Kingdoms of Amalur
    Planetary Annihilation
    The Wolf Among Us

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

Is the fallout new Vegas dlc good? Have the base game on xbox unopened and could get enough second hand to cover it.

If you haven't played Mass Effect, then get Mass Effect. There's no room for meh here.
    Mickeroo wrote: »
    Same goes for Dragon Age too, €5 for Dragon Age and all it's DLC is crazy good value.

**** it!

All I've bought so far is The Witcher and Dragonfall DLC for Shadowrun (and Payday 2 for herself) and they have been tempting me a lot. It's not like I can't afford another couple of things should something I really want crop up again later. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Shabaz50

I bought mass effect 2 and 3 on origin so if i buy ME 1 on steam will the story carry over and what happens if i skip ME 1.

Ok, so the haul so far is:

The Witcher
    Shadowrun - Dragonfall DLC
    The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing II (gift)
    Defy Gravity
    Dragon Age Origins
    Mass Effect 1 +2

Half of which are doomed to remain unplayed for the next six months :)

Damn you. I never wanted Dragon Age before. Then I looked at it and realised how much I want to play it. Then I checked - no controller support. Too hard to play on my laptop :'(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭abbir

sweetie wrote: »
    Is the fallout new Vegas dlc good? Have the base game on xbox unopened and could get enough second hand to cover it.

They're mostly good. I really enjoyed Old World Blues in particular.

• Advertisement

Shabaz50 wrote: »
    I bought mass effect 2 and 3 on origin so if i buy ME 1 on steam will the story carry over and what happens if i skip ME 1.

Yeah, doesn't matter where you play it from. The save game will still be in the Bioware folder in My Documents.

Damn you. I never wanted Dragon Age before. Then I looked at it and realised how much I want to play it. Then I checked - no controller support. Too hard to play on my laptop :'(

I played through the witcher with a touchpad on the laptop and the combat is much the same. Just crank down the difficulty settings anyway, the best thing about the game is the story and characters, I just wanted to get through the combat as quick as possible most of the time. You know you want to :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,283 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Or just buy a mouse?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I thought I didn't want anything this time around, but nevertheless the following damage has been done:

Far Cry 3
    Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon
    Euro Truck Simulator 2 (WHY!?)
    DMC
    Pixel Piracy
    Orion Dino Horde
    Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Legendary Edition
    Papers, Please

And the worst part is I know I'm not done, because something from my wishlist is bound to go on sale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

This is so weird

NEarly a week in and havnt spent a penny

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

it seems wrong, but me too. Though I might make the plunge and spend a record €10 this year.

TheDoc wrote: »
    This is so weird

Yeah, similar here. I got one game for my kid, picked up The Bureau because for a fiver I'm curious and a tower defense game for €1.50 that I'd had my eye on because I've a serious weakness for TD games. :P

So, eh, far less than a tenner on myself so far, that's a very low spend for the Summer Sale compared to previous years.

MadYaker wrote: »
    Or just buy a mouse?

Seconded, or if you lack a surface use a decent trackball like this one: http://www.logitech.com/en-gb/product/wireless-trackball-m570

Personally I consider people that play anything but the simplest games with a trackpad to be a bit mad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

A friend used to play Unreal Tournament with one of these!! (if you've never used one, that red dot in the middle of the keyboard is the mouse)

t20%20laptop.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

On a sidenote, I've been looking for a tinkpad like that for a number of years to use at home.

It's suprising how either hyper expensive they can go for, or how piss poor the specs on the cheap ones are

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Missed Torchlight 2 @ 4.75 so nothing spent yet.

33% off South park ain't enough for me :P I'll wait for winter sale on that. :D

Wonder if the X games will be featured in a deal. The war pack is 9.99 currently but would love to pick it up for a fiver.

Other than that, waiting for CS:GO to hit the front page with 75% off :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

TheDoc wrote: »
    This is so weird

I'm exactly the same, the reason is twofold though - I'm completely broke (had to pay for a holiday) and nothing has really jumped out at me.

Tempted by X Rebirth, even though i know it's probably still ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Any reason not to get this package: http://store.steampowered.com/sub/43401/

Both games look like fun, plus I love having local co-op games to tempt my wife into sharing my favourite hobby! (rarely works unfortunately)

I played through the witcher with a touchpad on the laptop and the combat is much the same. Just crank down the difficulty settings anyway, the best thing about the game is the story and characters, I just wanted to get through the combat as quick as possible most of the time. You know you want to :P

I'm so easily led :( But now I have a new game to play! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

A good tip would be to buy games as gifts and keep them in inventory. If you don't play them and just stock pile them, then at least you will be able to trade later for something.

I spent already more then expected. Maybe 20eu ++. Not too bad thought, something like payday 2 is a cracker of a game and I already played a good bit of it with a friend.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Castle Crashers is fantastic, one of the best co-op games I've played in a long time. Don't know about BBT but having seen their "Now on Steam" video just now, that looks pretty fun :)

Most of the stuff left on my wishlist is fairly new, so I don't expect them to be receiving any brilliant discounts before sale's end. So I'll be leaving them for another time.

However, I do still hope to see 75% off the Orcs Must Die pack, STALKER games and Dishonored. I'll pick up Singularity last day too, assuming it won't be discounted any further than the 75% reduction it has now.

Christ, when you list it out like that, it seems like loads. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,383 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Started with pland to get Walking Dead Season 2 and Bioshock Infinite Season Pass:

So Far:
    Walking Dead Season 2
    Bioshock Infinite Season Pass
    Marlow Briggs
    Papers Please
    Far Cry Blood Dragon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Fnz

ionapaul wrote: »
    Any reason not to get this package: http://store.steampowered.com/sub/43401/

Castle Crashers is up for community vote atm. Potential to get it, alone, for €1.20 if it wins.

That would make buying both games, separately, less expensive than the bundle.

A friend used to play Unreal Tournament with one of these!! (if you've never used one, that red dot in the middle of the keyboard is the mouse)

It's when they're kicking your ass that this fact is uncomfortable...

I knew a guy who was playing a recent FPS style game on an ancient machine, he was sub 20fps most of the time. He still had better stats than some of the guys in the clan. Usual excuses like "fps doesn't matter" etc until he gets a new machine and his stats start shooting upwards. :P

Just got the mass effect collection, and grabbed the mount and blade collection last night (after hearing about the GoT mod)..

I can't stop myself lol

• Registered Users Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭wyrn

Dammit! When I saw ME Collection I thought there might have been some DLC. I should have known. I have ME 1&2 on Steam and 3 on Origin. Am tempted to get 1&2 for Origin and restart the whole thing over. My character never properly transferred over. Then again I do have 1-3 on XBOX with no DLC.

The rational part of my brain is screaming to walk away. The Steam Sale side is screaming BUY ALL THE GAMES ON ALL THE PLATFORMS. Thank god for credit card screaming NO MORE!

EDIT: Do I need Dead Island?

wyrn wrote: »
    Dammit! When I saw ME Collection I thought there might have been some DLC. I should have known. I have ME 1&2 on Steam and 3 on Origin. Am tempted to get 1&2 for Origin and restart the whole thing over. My character never properly transferred over. Then again I do have 1-3 on XBOX with no DLC.

The rational part of my brain is screaming to walk away. The Steam Sale side is screaming BUY ALL THE GAMES ON ALL THE PLATFORMS. Thank god for credit card screaming NO MORE!

You can register ME 1&2 on origin with the cd keys.. No need to re-buy them..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

wyrn wrote: »

ah, have you tried "activating a product on origin" using the key from steam? If you wanted to that is, it will [should] put all the mass effects games than in one place.
    Saying that, I doubt it makes a difference, surely both will work just fine, manually copy the save game file to wherever origin expected to find it if not.

One thing to note though, the fecking DLC NEVER goes on sale! If you wanted to get all the DLC for mass effect 2 and 3 it will cost you as much as it would have cost to get both games when they were new! Really annoying... you need to get 'bioware points' or some such shíte.

Advertisement