Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Steam Summer Sale 2014

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭[Rasta]

I put in GTA V for good measure as well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

[Rasta] wrote: »
    I put in GTA V for good measure as well.

GTA V is not eligible since it has no price yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,313 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Just outta curiosity, have any of you received notification when a game on your wishlist went on offer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Just outta curiosity, have any of you received notification when a game on your wishlist went on offer?

Nope and about 6 of them have done so since the sale started.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

somethimes the wishlist workes other times it dosent. i wouldnt use it as the sole way to check to see if a game is on sale

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Wishlist is notoriously buggy. Best thing to do is never go off steam.. ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Timmyctc wrote: »
    Wishlist is notoriously buggy. Best thing to do is never go off steam.. ever.

Exactly. You can't be too careful these days...

So the Lego Movie is in the Community Choice yet is on the Daily Deal? Okay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Yeti Beast

Yeah, not very well thought through.

Edit: And still no new flash deals or the latest community choice winners made available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

Ahhh I'm so tired... Must await new sales however...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭gazzamc

Ahhh I'm so tired... Must await new sales however...

Won't change for another 5 hours..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

Considering I said my limit was €20, I've already spent €41... Good job Mrs. Vojera said €50 was a better limit! Plus I found out we're getting tax back (we finally got around to telling Revenue about our civil partnership) so if there was ever a time for a gaming blow-out...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Anyone know if Dirt3 still needs GFWL / has issues with saving progress nowadays? A few comments are putting me off buying it but I really want a decent rally game!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,533 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I am getting pop-up's, but no emails.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

I think they disable wishlist emails during the sale tbh, havent got any the last few sales

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Bah.

Crap deals!

:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Yeti Beast wrote: »
    So what games did you all move to the top of your wishlist for when you almost certainly, definitely, inevitably win the daily prize? :pac:.

Tropico 5, Grid Autosport, and Wolfenstein.

If GTA 5 gets a price before the end of the sale, then it'll be moved from #4 into the top 3 :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

Yeti Beast wrote: »
    So what games did you all move to the top of your wishlist for when you almost certainly, definitely, inevitably win the daily prize? :pac:

South Park: The Stick of Truth
    Castlevania: Mirror of Fate
    Strongbad's Cool Game for Attractive People

I seriously need to get a better computer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Managed to go two days without a purchase, but Kerbal Space Program broke my streak.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Agricola wrote: »
    Anyone know if Dirt3 still needs GFWL / has issues with saving progress nowadays? A few comments are putting me off buying it but I really want a decent rally game!

I got it in a humble bundle awhile back,saves working fine. I read somewhere the other day gfwl is not shutting off,ill link the article if i can find it.

EDIT: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/microsoft-says-it-s-not-shutting-down-games-for-windows-live/1100-6420654/

On another note picked up Rising Storm on a daily deal,just hope theres still people playing it at this point. Heard its very good

Anybody play Starforge or Space Engineers?

Thinking of picking up one or the other and just looking for peoples opinions on either.

A lot of the stuff about Starforge online is about a year old so its definitely been updated since then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I came back home about half 6 after 12+ hour shift yesterday. Just looked at New deals and grabed Insurgency and Risk of rain. I was not even debating or on the fence. I just could not give a **** lol. Bought it, set it to download and ****ed off...
    Today I am again on 12h shift... I hope there won't be anything that I might like, as I will buy it no questions asked again lol.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I got Starforge in a fit of madness last year, it was barely functional and was a total waste of money. Should have known better with a flippin' Early Access game. When last I did some reading on it, it didn't look like the guy's ever going to finish it, so steer well clear of it.

Space Engineers on the other hand appears to be a much closer to completion game and has a very active community and loads of stuff up on YouTube for beginners etc. Looks like a lot more fun and well worth a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

EoinHef wrote: »
    Anybody play Starforge or Space Engineers?

Thinking of picking up one or the other and just looking for peoples opinions on either.

A lot of the stuff about Starforge online is about a year old so its definitely been updated since then
    Avoid starforge. Looks interesting but the updates are slow and lacking from what I've read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

I've never spent so much on games in such a short period of time :D

So far...
    • Anno 2070
    • Far Cry 3
    • GTA San Andreas
    • GTA IV
    • Sleeping Dogs

I also have GRID: Autosport pre-ordered, which will be out on Friday, so goodbye life!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

Shiminay wrote: »
    I got Starforge in a fit of madness last year, it was barely functional and was a total waste of money. Should have known better with a flippin' Early Access game. When last I did some reading on it, it didn't look like the guy's ever going to finish it, so steer well clear of it.

This is pretty much me with most early access games. I refuse to buy any more unless there is very good word of mouth about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Agent J wrote: »
    This is pretty much me with most early access games. I refuse to buy any more unless there is very good word of mouth about it.

Project Zomboid is a great one. There's not many that constitute Value for Money at the moment though is there. Games like Dayz and The Forest and That Stomping land one are all bottled necked with the lack of main functionality.

(Persistence, Multiplayer, Loads of things respectively)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

I'd heard of Steam for a long while but had never really looked into it as I love having physical copies of games, particularly big box ones.

This thread kept popping up on the homepage so I figured I'd take a look and maybe sign up for some demos.

That was an hour or so ago, I'm now £40 lighter. I hate you all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭gazzamc

I'd heard of Steam for a long while but had never really looked into it as I love having physical copies of games, particularly big box ones.

This thread kept popping up on the homepage so I figured I'd take a look and maybe sign up for some demos.

Your just getting started, before you know it you'll want to have all your physical copies in your steam library... it's so addictive :D

I'm only touching on €35 myself but the quality and quantity of games i've bought says it all... Great value :D

We would probably try to talk you down, but the fact we can't talk ourselves down from Steam means it would be pointless trying. :pac:

May invest in one or 2 lego games. Maybe Marvel and the Movie. maybe DC as well. Doubt any of them will match the awesomeness of Lego City Undercover but I'm sure they'll still be entertaining

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,533 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Your first sale? There must be soooo many titles that you can pickup that you don't already own. I suspect your wallet could end up even lighter by the end of the week. :D

€59.64 spent so far.

Must. Uninstall. Steam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Starbound was not on sale yet lads? That is something I really want to pick up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Only €34 so far on Wasteland 2 and The Swapper. Picked up South Park, Wolf Among Us and Stanley Parable as gifts for my brother and a friend, so that would be another €34, roughly.

I reckon I will crack soon enough though, and splurge all over some classic adventure games and the old Splinter Cell games, cos ya know, they belong to the set of games you just need to own and the Steam library feels naked without them. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Yeti Beast

320x240.jpg

Decided to put €50 in my steam wallet and when thats gone im done this sale,usually use paypal but easy to lose track of what im spending that way imo

Bought:
    -Payday 2
    -7 Days to Die
    -Rising Storm
    -A few trading cards
    Total €24'ish

So still have about half the budget left,fairly happy so far. Looking at the smaller releases this time round,have almost all the AAA releases im interested in already. I really want to pick up a random game that will surprise me,flash and community deals seem the best option for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Your first sale? There must be soooo many titles that you can pickup that you don't already own. I suspect your wallet could end up even lighter by the end of the week. :D

Not just first sale but first experience with downloading full games rather than physical shop copies full stop.

It's just too damn easy!

I'm a sucker for point and click adventure style stuff and the indie developers seem to have hundreds of them, all about 3/4 quid.

Hundreds multiplied by 3/4 quid = A broken down husk of a man playing Papers, Please for hours on end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Steviemoyne

Forked out for the 4 pack of Falling Rain and Dungeon Defenders for "Friends" (ie: people I plan to trade for games after the sale for other games.......).

Also picked up Rogue Legacy, Payday 2 which is much better than the first providing the ports are open, Age Of Empires Legacy Bundle (basically AoE 2 and 3) and Metal Slug 2 pack...again for my "Friends".

Considered Starforge but yes, it basically just looks like a money extraction tool as far as the updates go. Only game I have been remotely happy with as far as (B)Early (Complete) Access goes has been Starbound.

Edit: realMyst is something I've been keeping an eye on. I remember playing the first years ago.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

€59.64 spent so far.

Must. Uninstall. Steam.
    Good idea; get the steam app instead and you can still buy as much but don't bother with the whole pesky playing part :pac:

Nody wrote: »
    Good idea; get the steam app instead and you can still buy as much but don't bother with the whole pesky playing part :pac:

The worst part is I've made at least half of those purchases through the app. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

Bearing in mind that I have bought nothing very much for the last few years and so there is a certain ammount of pent-up demand;

Steam Sale;
    Mass Effect Collection
    NBA2k2014
    Elder Scrolls Legendary
    Far Cry 3 + Call of Juarez + Blood Dragon
    Bully Scholarship Edition

I bought South Park via cdkeys as I was underwhelmed by the sale price

GoG Sale:
    Unreal Tournament Pack
    Medal of Honour War Chest
    Trine 2
    The Witcher 1 + 2
    Hotline Miami
    Back to the Future
    Legend of Grimrock
    Spelunky
    Leisure Suit Larry

Now i just need a new computer to justfiy all my "savings". My laptop will crash and die if i fling Witcher 2 at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

If you buy all the games on steam in this sale then you never have to worry about spending too much in the sales again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,648 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

So, my haul is as follows:

Farcry 3
    Bulletstorm
    Sim City 4
    Dark Souls
    Tomb Raider

and Goat Simulator

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

Agent J wrote: »
    If you buy all the games on steam in this sale then you never have to worry about spending too much in the sales again!

That's advanced economics that is!

I'm looking at the list of purchases now assembled and asking myself "what the actual hell!? You have a huge backlog on the Wii U, very little time for games full stop, and a shoddy laptop. Why all the series purchases? Are you really likely to take on Skyrim. And both Witchers? And both Mass Effects? Why did you buy Leisure Suit Larry for? Idiot!"

Followed by;

"Saints Row looks cool. You should probably give a Lego game a go. So whats Dark Souls all about?":D:o:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Still nothing for me.

I've partaking in so many steam sales, there is simply nothing left to buy.

There must be an exclusive club for people like me, surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭wyrn

I've discovered how to ignore Steam sales - playing Thief for hours on end. Most of it is spent waiting for the next scene to load or for Garrett to move. I feel like crying, it's so much better than I expected (and my expectations were low after the Thief thread & reviews) but I'm really enjoying it when it's not laggy.

druss wrote: »
    That's advanced economics that is!

I'm looking at the list of purchases now assembled and asking myself "what the actual hell!? You have a huge backlog on the Wii U, very little time for games full stop, and a shoddy laptop. Why all the series purchases? Are you really likely to take on Skyrim. And both Witchers? And both Mass Effects? Why did you buy Leisure Suit Larry for? Idiot!"

Followed by;

"Saints Row looks cool. You should probably give a Lego game a go. So whats Dark Souls all about?":D:o:(

Just play skyrim
    And morrowind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Really nothing massive on my list, probably will pick up Kerbal before 6 and if Broforce gets a decent price before it ends that as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭ionapaul

I'm finding it easy enough this time around (and the last few sales), as I've a pretty strict set of criteria in place for the past 18 months or so:

- I must actually want to play the game
    - It must have received good reviews
    - If it's an indie, I realize that I should hold off as it will probably appear in a Humble Bundle
    - It must not cost more than €5

The last one is the best limiter for me; my backlog is truly immense, and buying a Wii U a few months ago hasn't helped, so there is no point spending decent money on games I won't play for months/years. Therefore I can easily wait as long as possible before buying a game, and get it at a really deep discount. Always liked the looks of Far Cry 3, but waited waited waited until this sale and got it for €4.99. Likewise, I really enjoyed Dark Souls (it's my 2nd most played game by time in Steam after Skyrim), but know I'll probably be able to grab it for $7.50 on Amazon.com at some point over the next 12 months, so might as well wait. I know I'm part of what's "wrong" with the PC gaming economy right now, but I can live with that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 924 ✭✭✭thegame983

ionapaul wrote: »
    I'm finding it easy enough this time around (and the last few sales), as I've a pretty strict set of criteria in place for the past 18 months or so:

- I must actually want to play the game
    - It must have received good reviews
    - If it's an indie, I realize that I should hold off as it will probably appear in a Humble Bundle
    - It must not cost more than €5

The last one is the best limiter for me; my backlog is truly immense, and buying a Wii U a few months ago hasn't helped, so there is no point spending decent money on games I won't play for months/years. Therefore I can easily wait as long as possible before buying a game, and get it at a really deep discount. Always liked the looks of Far Cry 3, but waited waited waited until this sale and got it for €4.99. Likewise, I really enjoyed Dark Souls (it's my 2nd most played game by time in Steam after Skyrim), but know I'll probably be able to grab it for $7.50 on Amazon.com at some point over the next 12 months, so might as well wait. I know I'm part of what's "wrong" with the PC gaming economy right now, but I can live with that!

I live firmly in a world of 'it must be at least 75% off', unless of course it's a game I really want ASAP - South Park, Dark Souls 2 etc.

It basically means that bar a few 'must have' games, I'm playing games from last year. I've picked up Shadowrun, Outlast & Payday 2 so far.

Advertisement