Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Steam Summer Sale 2014

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,699 ✭✭✭Glebee

Skerries wrote: »
    don't they normally start at 6pm our time?

Usually

don't they normally start at 6pm our time?

I assume that he lives in the US of A.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,566 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Gotcha!

Be interesting to see if I buy much this time, last few sales I've only picked up a couple of games and sine dlc. Murdered: Soul Suspect is high on my list but considering it's €17 on key sites I can't see Steam offering it much cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

Be interesting to see if I buy much this time, last few sales I've only picked up a couple of games and sine dlc. Murdered: Soul Suspect is high on my list but considering it's €17 on key sites I can't see Steam offering it much cheaper.

seen it for a tenner on kinguin last night (still too dear)

I've picked up 5 or 6 games in the gog sale so won't be getting too many from steam i should think

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Hopefully some of the stuff on my wish list goes on sale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Yeti Beast

Pity me.

I'm only recently getting back into PC gaming after a hiatus of several years. I will be bankrupt I tells ya, bankrupt!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,566 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

normally the Amazon sale is much better these days but it hasn't started yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

I agree, before purchasing on Steam I would check Amazon.com first. Last Steam sale they had the Elder Scrolls GOTY editions for €5-6 on Steam but got them for about €3 on Amazon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Good idea, but I am pretty sure anything by Deep Silver is region-locked. So, Dead Island, Metro, Saints Row, etc., won't unlock on your Steam account if you bought it from Amazon (US). There may be other publishers who do the same, but Deep Silver is a well known offender.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,313 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Also the reason I'm looking to Steam for Walking Dead Season 2 is because places like Amazon sell the version that requires a Telltale Games account.

And isn't the amazon list usually online before the sale goes live?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,182 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

Just had to explain to the wife that there will be no grocery shopping for 2 weeks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

I'm setting myself a limit of €20. There's very little I want right now.

(I know I'm kidding myself).

Anyone else setting a limit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

I've never partaken of a steam sale, what am I letting myself in for?

At least the laptop is rubbish so that'll limit my choices :D

• Advertisement

Vojera wrote: »

I would love to set a limit, I really would, but let's be honest: BUY ALL THE GAMES! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

5 euro.....per game.
    Q_Ball wrote: »
    I've never partaken of a steam sale, what am I letting myself in for?

At least the laptop is rubbish so that'll limit my choices :D

You might as well buy some games now while they're cheap and then you can play them when you get a better laptop!

You might as well buy some games now while they're cheap and then you can play them when you get a better laptop!

Steam Sale Logic™

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Falthyron wrote: »
    Steam Sale Logic™

Pfft dude, I've saved so much future money it's not funny! I mean seriously, if I suddenly decided to take up flight sims seriously in a few years what would I do without the small stack of military flight sims that have lain unplayed for so long on my Steam account! I've covered a sudden switch to FPS games, horror games and platformers too, just in case I have a brain injury or something and need to move away from Strategy.

Got to cover the bases. Now, if anyone sees any life sims being flogged off cheap be sure to tell me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Realistically, my limit is when my debit card starts getting refused for insufficient funds...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,182 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I can always push my tuition off to a Sallie Mae loan I guess...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

giphy.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

I just said it to my wife that I was going to stick to €20 this year. She said "Sure why not make it €50 like the last time?"

I think she's a keeper.

WVhH3HM.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

... I had to book some flights for work recently. I won't get reimbursed until probably the end of next month. I'm actually broke for a whole Steam sale.

I am currently suffering a mix of emotions.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Sarky wrote: »
    ... I had to book some flights for work recently. I won't get reimbursed until probably the end of next month. I'm actually broke for a whole Steam sale.

Im in the same boat, no funds but if something takes my fancy then I will free up some.

Maybe we should start a "Fund Sarky's Habit Fund" haha

Sarky wrote: »

Let's be honest, you don't really have to eat... As Nesf said, think of it as saving future money! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I got some games in the recent Tesco games sale for a fiver each and flipped them on eBay for many multiples of that. :)

My Paypal account is ready!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,335 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I've cleared my credit card today so bring it on Gabe; do your worst!*

*Famous last words of a broken man
    Falthyron wrote: »
    Let's be honest, you don't really have to eat... As Nesf said, think of it as saving future money! :D
    It's all about the dry packed noodles I tell ya! Noodles and ketchup is a fully functional meal (and you can survive for a month or three if needed)...

Ended up paying 12 euro for Murdered: Soul Suspect yesterday which means that unless Watch Dogs hits the 18 euro mark there's not really much that will tempt me this time around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Personaly broke as ****, so will be hanging on until the 25th to make any purchases. As a steam sale veteran, appreciate every deal makes a second showing in the final few days anyway, so I won't miss out.

anyone got any hopes for a particular title?

I tend to stock up in sales on games, never download or even install them. So might try hold back this year, but there is always THAT temptation

I've a massive library of games, over 160, and I think I've downloaded and played, at most, 6 of them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭kevovek

Any idea what time this will start at today?

kevovek wrote: »
    Any idea what time this will start at today?

Usually about 6pm

I added a whole bunch of games to my wishlist so I can keep track of which ones go one sale :D

Cravez wrote: »
    I added a whole bunch of games to my wishlist so I can keep track of which ones go one sale :D

Thats the problem I have with Wishlist.

I typically dont "want any games" I just get "twisted" into buying them at the cheap price

Like a the moment I'm playing LoL which is a big time sink, along with World of Warcraft. I'm playing Battlefield when I can.

I've a list I of console games I want to get through before end of year.

Batman series ( got halfway through them, never finished)
    Last of Us
    GTA 5
    Watchdogs

And a few others. I buy games, and let them sit idle when I end up focusing on Lol or WoW.

at some point I'm probably going to take a career break, jsut to ****ing clear through my steam library and console back catalogue :D

TheDoc wrote: »
    Personaly broke as ****, so will be hanging on until the 25th to make any purchases. As a steam sale veteran, appreciate every deal makes a second showing in the final few days anyway, so I won't miss out.

anyone got any hopes for a particular title?

I tend to stock up in sales on games, never download or even install them. So might try hold back this year, but there is always THAT temptation

I've a massive library of games, over 160, and I think I've downloaded and played, at most, 6 of them.

looking at my library and I have 471 games and atm have 74 installed. Currently playing through 6 games on Steam and my plan by the end of the year is to have played every game that's sitting in my "i'll get around to that eventually list". There are a number of games I own that I have no interest in ever playing beyond a few minutes of, some games in bundles I got that I played and didn't like and things like 007: Legends which I got for a fiver, played 21 minutes of and decided life was too short.

Be cool if they brought in a trading mechanism. As in being able to trade a game to someone else, or provide them the license for a loan or something.

Amount of stuff I have that I can never see myself playing, that I bought on a whim. Or games that require too much time and effort, like Fallout etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭..Brian..

Ahh no, is it starting today?! ****ing typical, I missed half to the last two weeks in work due to being sick so ****ing broke. And rent is due tomorrow! Dammmmm you world!

Hopefully the games on my wishlist will come on at the end of sales again!

Be cool if they brought in a trading mechanism. As in being able to trade a game to someone else, or provide them the license for a loan or something.

Amount of stuff I have that I can never see myself playing, that I bought on a whim. Or games that require too much time and effort, like Fallout etc.

The family sharing thing seems to be the first step toward something like what you describe above. It's something that I would like to see happen or even having the ability to lend a game to a friend for a fixed amount of time.

..Brian.. wrote: »
    Ahh no, is it starting today?! ****ing typical, I missed half to the last two weeks in work due to being sick so ****ing broke. And rent is due tomorrow! Dammmmm you world!

Hopefully the games on my wishlist will come on at the end of sales again!

They usually do so even if you miss a game the first time around during flash sales etc it should appear again on the last day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Yeti Beast

Jaysus. I've something like 75 games on my wishlist, and they're ones I really want... But add in the impulse buys for stuff I don't want, or rather the "at that price, it'd be rude not to" buys, and it could be an expensive couple of weeks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,335 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Cravez wrote: »
    I got 7 games on the wishlist but seeing their base prices (usually 29.99 and the games are multiple years old) I highly doubt I'll buy any of them even with 75% discount. They are games I'm interested in playing but the general feedback on them are "good, but... or interesting mechanics, but..."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Funnily enough, there's really not much going this year that I'm looking to buy.

I have all the Batman games, Assassins Creed: Black Flag, a tonne of indie games, Half Life and Portal 1 and way more than that.

I may go for Portal 2 after pay day (I'm so poor right now), but I'm not as enthused this year as before.

Granted the sale will kick off and as usual I'll end up spending a tonne on games I will probably never play.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I was thinking what games might be appearing that I wanna get a hold of and there really isn't a lot except maybe Assassins Creed Black Flag (I think at this stage I will give up on the idea of trying to get through 3, it's just too boring).

That time of the year already?
    braveheart-hold-original-300x249.jpg

braveheart-hold-original-300x249.jpg

braveheart-hold.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'll pick up a few of the recent aplha's if they are reduced by a few quid. The Forest, Prison Architect, Space Engineers etc...

Not that many other games that i'm interested in...so i'll probably only get around 20 games this sale :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 924 ✭✭✭thegame983

There is a trading system. When you buy a game you have the option to add it your library or buy it as a gift. If you choose the latter, the game will just sit in your steam inventory and you can either add it to your library later or gift it to a friend

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

I'll be looking out for SouthPark, Skyrim DLCS and x3 or X:Rebirth at heavily discounted prices :D

Watchdogs and dark souls II are in my dreamer list (aka 15-20 bucks!) :pac:

I think the Sales are nearly as good to find older titles, classics, for a few euro.

I know I tend to re-buy some games on steam, that I have in the old style bix ass boxes. I don't even have a CD drive anymore so cant load them up if I wanted :D

Be interesting to put together a list of the "must have" titles, maybe people can find a few classics that will most likely be a few quid.
    • Deus Ex GOTY edition
    • Deux Ex Human Revolution + DLC
    • Max Payne 1+2+3
    • GTA Bundle
    • Skyrim
    • Batman Trilogy, probably a good deal going to be on this and it's DLC

That would be five that jump out at me for anyone to pickup in this sale, will most likely be cheap, and are titles you simply must play for your PC. I know I plan to get the DLC for Deus Ex HRev ,and go through that game properly, typical with me only gave it a few hours. Same with Max Payne 3.

The Total war series is probably another bundle that will go on the cheap. last summer they had an immense price on pretty much every Total War title, well worth checking out, but even if you want to just try one, Rome will only be a few euro and a great game.

Anyone else got some classic titles that are must haves?

Actually as we speak, there is a 60% off Deus Ex Human Revolution Directors cut, thats a good early deal, its only like €8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 924 ✭✭✭thegame983

Actually as we speak, there is a 60% off Deus Ex Human Revolution Directors cut, thats a good early deal, its only like €8

No Dice. Wait for 75% off during the sale

• Advertisement
Advertisement