Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Steam Summer Sale 2014

Comments

Monotype wrote: »
    It was cheaper on steam last Christmas. €2.75/50 possibly.
    Last time I checked, the steam one was better supported in terms of patches. I think they overhauled the patching system on the gog one after initial problems, so it's most likely the same either way - apart from price.

I'd get it on gog for now. If you really enjoy it and want a copy for steam, get it if the price falls again. That way, you'll have only paid around the €5 mark that you would have paid for steam and have both versions.

Edit: It was €2.79 last year on steam.

Bought it on gog second seconds after posting that. While I'd like all my games in one place I'd always go with gog over stem considering that gog games well work no problem. Stream have s habit of releasing old games that you have to mess around with to get working.

Monotype wrote: »
    It was cheaper on steam last Christmas. €2.75/50 possibly.
    Last time I checked, the steam one was better supported in terms of patches. I think they overhauled the patching system on the gog one after initial problems, so it's most likely the same either way - apart from price.

I'd get it on gog for now. If you really enjoy it and want a copy for steam, get it if the price falls again. That way, you'll have only paid around the €5 mark that you would have paid for steam and have both versions.

Edit: It was €2.79 last year on steam.

Bought it on gog second seconds after posting that. While I'd like all my games in one place I'd always go with gog over stem considering that gog games well work no problem. Stream have s habit of releasing old games that you have to mess around with to get working.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Hmmm tempted by max Payne 3

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,435 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Bought it last night, mostly because I have a controller that I bought for Dark Souls and felt like I should probably use it for something else. Played about half an hour of it before bed, it's all right so far. Not sure it will live up to the hype but I expect I'll get my €2.50 worth out of it.

It doesn't really get going until the half way mark or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Lads, whats the story with Pixel Piracy or King Arthurs gold? I know that Pixel Piracy is made by same crowd that made Terarria, so I am sort of know it will be good, but that King Arthur looks class too...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I meant to pop on to say that anyone who ever enjoyed Fable 1 or 2 should definitely get Kingdoms of Amalur - it was the game Fable 3 should have been (and is superior to it in every way). The only problem is that they pronounce the word tuatha as too-ath-a which causes me to flinch every time I hear it (and the Studio 38 producer I told about it at the time I played a demo was not too happy they'd got it wrong).

Splinter Cell Blacklist: I just started playing this cause my Watch_dogs simply won't work (fk Ubi). I had bought it ages ago and forgot. It's fun, I've not played any of the Splinter Cell games and I'm lead to believe that this one is a lot more shooty and actiony than previous offerings, but I've been playing it all Stealth Bastard style (cause I usually never play this sort of game or in this sort of way) and it's been fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Shiminay wrote: »
    I meant to pop on to say that anyone who ever enjoyed Fable 1 or 2 should definitely get Kingdoms of Amalur - it was the game Fable 3 should have been (and is superior to it in every way). The only problem is that they pronounce the word tuatha as too-ath-a which causes me to flinch every time I hear it (and the Studio 38 producer I told about it at the time I played a demo was not too happy they'd got it wrong).

Splinter Cell Blacklist: I just started playing this cause my Watch_dogs simply won't work (fk Ubi). I had bought it ages ago and forgot. It's fun, I've not played any of the Splinter Cell games and I'm lead to believe that this one is a lot more shooty and actiony than previous offerings, but I've been playing it all Stealth Bastard style (cause I usually never play this sort of game or in this sort of way) and it's been fun.
    Is Kingdoms of Amalur more of a controller or a keyboard and mouse RPG?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,672 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Forgot about Blacklist. Actually got it free with my graphics card as part of a dabs.ie promotion a good while back, so shall not be buying it here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Raphael wrote: »
    Is Kingdoms of Amalur more of a controller or a keyboard and mouse RPG?

Controller, i bought it just before ME3 was released to get the free stuff, i thought at the time it was a nice looking game with lots to do but it felt like a port much the same way that state of decay felt like one.

That being said i couldn't get into it at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Controller, i bought it just before ME3 was released to get the free stuff, i thought at the time it was a nice looking game with lots to do but it felt like a port much the same way that state of decay felt like one.

That being said i couldn't get into it at all
    Grand, will probably pick it up for the 360 so. Should be able to get it second hand for a steam sale worthy price.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I played with a controller as it was set up for that but Mouse & Keyboard was doable. It's more of a hack 'n' slash with RP elements than an RPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,602 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I played it with M+K as I never thought to try it with controller and had no problems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,733 ✭✭✭Glebee

Skerries wrote: »
    I played it with M+K as I never thought to try it with controller and had no problems

Same here, mouse and keyboard and never had any issues.. Dont buy a controller especially for Kingdoms of Amular..

Almost one and a half hours and this thread did not had a single post about Wallet being stolen, maxed out credit cards and buying **** they dont need! :pac:

Whats wrong with you lads?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,383 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I'm still waiting for the someone to come in begging for free games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭gazzamc

Almost one and a half hours and this thread did not had a single post about Wallet being stolen, maxed out credit cards and buying **** they dont need! :pac:

Whats wrong with you lads?!

That's pretty much throughout the whole thread..
    CastorTroy wrote: »

Want to give me a free game? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,644 ✭✭✭✭nesf

CastorTroy wrote: »

Could you pre-order Civilisation: Beyond Earth for me please? I'll gift you a copy of Papers Please once I get it. :)

Sure talk to gazzamc. He's looking for a game to be gifted to him. :pac:

So today's sale...

It's like looking at Scottish restaurant menu, you know it's food, but there is nothing you really want...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Yeti Beast

Only 50% off CS:GO? Bah - it was €2.99 back in March. No deal, Gaben. No deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

God damn it I said I wouldn't buy anymore but I didn't wan to miss out on Torchlight 2 :(

Very underwhelmed by this sale. Have a few items on my wish list but will probally wait till last day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭MacBizzle

Has it been a slow year for PC gaming since the last sale? Very few games I want have came up so far, bought a load of crap with a twenty-five euro voucher though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭thegame983

Yeti Beast wrote: »
    Only 50% off CS:GO? Bah - it was €2.99 back in March. No deal, Gaben. No deal.

It's 66% off. Usually you're better off waiting for 10-15 minutes for the prices to update, but yeah, even at 66%. It's not great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Yeti Beast

thegame983 wrote: »
    It's 66% off. Usually you're better off waiting for 10-15 minutes for the prices to update, but yeah, even at 66%. It's not great.

Still showing 50% for me.

• Advertisement

Yeti Beast wrote: »
    Still showing 50% for me.

mmm...I have the russian steam store open and its 66%, but you're right it's 50%.

There has been some weird discounts. Fallout: New vegas was 66%, when it should have been 75%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,644 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Infested Planet is good fun. Tactical Squad Based RTS Starship Trooper inspired single man indie project (worth the €7.50 imho since we get so, so few games like this that don't take themselves too seriously).

It's naturally fairly limited as a project but it's enjoyable if you like this sort of thing. :)

I bought Company of Heroes 2, but I see a lot of negative user reviews on Metacritic. Are they just the ones complaining that it isn't the same as the first one or is it just not as good?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

I bought Call of Heroes 2, but I see a lot of negative user reviews on Metacritic. Are they just the ones complaining that it isn't the same as the first one or is it just not as good?

The majority of those negative comments are as a result of a Russian campaign to rate the game down for its poor portrayal of Russian soldiers in the Second World War.

Falthyron wrote: »
    The majority of those negative comments are as a result of a Russian campaign to rate the game down for its poor portrayal of Russian soldiers in the Second World War.

Yeah, sad really because it's quite accurate too.

metacritic is gas, the critic reviews are pretty good for COH2, the user reviews are trolled entirely by russians 1.9/10 userscore, 80/100 critic score :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

I bought Call of Heroes 2, but I see a lot of negative user reviews on Metacritic. Are they just the ones complaining that it isn't the same as the first one or is it just not as good?

Do you mean Company of Heroes?

If so. Yeha the second was apparently a complete let down.

WOOOOOOO I GOT Paid. Right sale. Lets be having ye.

Ha! Was trying to decide if I wanted Mirror's Edge since I have it on PS3, then I suddenly realised I may have got it in the Origin bundle, so logged in to Humble Bundle and yep I did. Also saw other games there on my page that I was thinking about getting. I really need to sort that. :)

Timmyctc wrote: »
    Do you mean Company of Heroes?

If so. Yeha the second was apparently a complete let down.

Actually I'm being harsh. It was apparently not as good as the first but some people say its still quite good.

I dont think they'll ever match how good the first one was

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭[Rasta]

I played a bit of the second one, it was quite poor with respect to the first one.
    It introduced some leveling crap which I think is retarded.
    I just want to play the damn game like I did in the original.. but nope.
    The interface is a step down imo, and while there are one or two improvements, overall it's just a step down in comparison to the first.

If you want to try a COH game, get the first one, so much better all round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

So today's sale...

It's like looking at Scottish restaurant menu, you know it's food, but there is nothing you really want...
    What, you don't like haggis? :confused:

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,435 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Hope Gone home wins the community choice. Had my eye on it for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

WOOOOOOO I GOT Paid. Right sale. Lets be having ye.
    Nooooooooo! That's so dangerous!

I actually thought I was spending a bit much, but turns out I've only spent €27 odd so far :) And I'm pretty damn pleased with my haul so far! :D

• Advertisement

Put in 25 quid. Bought Sherlock, Metro, Payday 2 and Garrys Mod... it came to 25 exactly :o Fate.

I have never played any of those Sherlock games but I have 7 of them in my account :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

Picked up Fallout 3 & New Vegas for €2.50 each :P You can't go wrong.
    OT What's the modding like on these games. Already owned them on console so time to try to mod the ****e out of them til they break :D

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Hope Gone home wins the community choice. Had my eye on it for a while.

Just finished it. Strange game. If its even a game...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭josh101st

State of Decay was a cool open world game. Fallout 3/ Fallout New Vegas if you haven't played it, is FPS RPG Open World. Metro: Last light is a really cool FPS too pretty scary and very atmospheric.

Depending on what sort of FPS you like I'd recommend Insurgency. Very tactical shooter but a lot of fun and very competitive.

Also Project Zomboid because I love indie games and I love Zombies :pac: Its Early access but lots of fun.

Also DayZ is hours and hours of fun, even if the game is far from finished. I clocked about 300 hours on it and stopped playing it months ago, before loads of new stuff was added.

thanks man yeah i have state of decay on xbox amazing game loved it and yeah just bought fallout 3 cant wait to start playing and I'll have a look at insurgency and project zomboid love zombie games too!! And oh yes! I have dayZ too ha i haven't anywhere near 300hrs fair play my friend i have about 120 hrs at most thanks for the recommendations!!

thegame983 wrote: »

only 66%!! Do you think the price will go down again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Been pretty good so far

Walking Dead Season 2
    Fable - The Lost Chapters
    The Wolf Among Us
    Arkham Origins

josh101st wrote: »
    only 66%!! Do you think the price will go down again?

You should be able to grab it for under a fiver definitely

Links234 wrote: »
    You should be able to grab it for under a fiver definitely

awesome I'll definitely pick it up for that price!!

• Advertisement

josh101st wrote: »
    awesome I'll definitely pick it up for that price!!

If you're talking about CS:GO,it won't get any cheaper during the sale. Best bet would be to get onto a site like steamtrades and see if anyone is selling it on the cheap

Advertisement