Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Steam Summer Sale 2014

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,801 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

TheDoc wrote: »
    First blood

Roller Coaster Deluxe for €3

Consdering the absolute hundreds of hours I put in this as a young teen, I simply couldn't resist getting it again.

Have the original and its expansions in home in the old school big boxes, but sure this is what the steam sale for me is about, putting classics onto steam for usability.

Going to have some craic over the weekend :D

Both that and the second are in my cart, but holding out just on the very slight chance they get on a flash sale between now and the end.

No matter how cheap something is, if it can still become cheaper, I'll hold out :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

I've got Skyrim:LE and played a fair bit of it today...when do the DLCs start to come into play?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I've got Skyrim:LE and played a fair bit of it today...when do the DLCs start to come into play?

Wondering the same thing myself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

The major DLCs are mainly just questlines like the Dark Brotherhood, Companions etc.

I think you need to be a certain level to activate Dawnguard, possibly lvl 10. When you reach that just talk to a guard and the start location will show up on the map.

For Dragonborn you need to have met the Greybeards and killed at least one dragon. There's no level requirement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,927 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I would JUMP on spacebase DF-9 but the reviews all warn its way too premature for enjoyment right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Yeti Beast

Looks like the pink team are going to break red's dominance. Hopefully I can flog a pink token on the market for a few quid later today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,602 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Yeti Beast wrote: »
    Hopefully I can flog a pink token

do you like flogging your pink token?:p

Needs must.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Hmm, going back through my transactions, I knew Alan Wake was going cheaper before, I got the franchise pack for €3.59 last year :o

I really must play it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭shaneb92

Anyone think Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare will get a bigger discount that 50%?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

If i buy a Steam voucher in the UK will it work here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Links234 wrote: »
    was going cheaper before

According to is there any deal there has been nothing in the entire sale yet that hasn't been cheaper elsewhere. And nearly everything except new games that are on sale have been cheaper before on steam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

If your using the Irish storefront i doubt it. It might work if you use the UK storefront but i couldn't guarantee that.

shaneb92 wrote: »
    Anyone think Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare will get a bigger discount that 50%?

Not likely I'd say. You can get it for €10.79 on Amazon right now, if that's any use.

Edit: Annoyingly, it's $9.99 on the US Steam right now. Euro punters fleeced as usual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Oh the new community Choice vote basically has a "feels" category. To the moon down to 1.20 amongst other feelsy titles. Vote my minions!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

I got one last year (I was in the UK at the time) and it just got converted to euro at a fairly crappy rate. Through the app I could see the sterling prices but as soon as I added stuff to my basket it changed to the Irish prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Lego lord of the rings has local co op on PC!
    Why dont more games have it :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

Yeti Beast wrote: »
    Not likely I'd say. You can get it for €10.79 on Amazon right now, if that's any use.

Edit: Annoyingly, it's $9.99 on the US Steam right now. Euro punters fleeced as usual.

It's because of this I buy very few of my steam games through steam. Maybe 10 out of 200. Amazon, humble, game fly, gmg, kinguin,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,553 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Bought that game dev kit - serious impulse buy (I'm trying not to think too hard about it for the moment).

Angry Flappy Bird Jump Jump coming soon to a device near you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

shaneb92 wrote: »

I am pretty sure it has be $4.99 for a steam key on various sites... Not sure if they still selling at that price but maybe that deal will come back?...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Tropico 4 there for €2.99, had to be done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,579 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Myrddin wrote: »
    Tropico 4 there for €2.99, had to be done.

Got Tropico 3 and Absolute Power expansion a few weeks ago in humble bundle. Would have held off and picked up 4 had i realised was gonna get such a deep discount:(. Got Hard Reset in the Humble Bundle as well though,so not to peeved:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Cs:go going under a fiver anywhere or by end of steam sale anyone think?

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    Cs:go going under a fiver anywhere or by end of steam sale anyone think?

Cheapest i can see it(bar using a russian VPN) is over €7. So at sale price on steam its not too bad a price

Daily deal or flash sale price that is

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

So far I've got:

AC IV: Black Flag
    Nether
    Noir Syndrome
    Final Fantasy VII
    Resi 4 HD
    Long Live the Queen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Wolfenstein and Theif are two I'm definitely hoping to get next sale, but damned if I'm not tempted to grab 'em ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

thief was on sale there pretty cheap recently, surprised it hasnt made a reappearance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Shadowfall expansion 5.99eu. Yes, please!

Is Thief any good? Seems to be a lot of negative reviews for it on Steam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

And I'm done. The Shadowfall expansion at €5.99 wiped out the last of the money I'd put in and actually took me €3 over my budget. Very happy with haul though.....

State of Decay with DLC
    Sid Meier's Pirates!
    The Bureau: XCOM Declassified
    Payday 2
    Call of Juarez Gunslinger
    Don't Starve
    Papers, Please
    Shadowrun Returns
    Metro: Last Light - Season Pass
    Strike Vector
    Outlast
    Baldur's Gate 2 Enhanced Edition Steam Store and Retail Key
    Shadowrun: Dragonfall

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I really like what I've played of it, but I loved Thief Deadly Shadows.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭wyrn

I'm loving Thief. I didn't preorder it after reading the thread here and because of the negative reviews. However, I caved and bought it on sale a fortnight ago. I've now 36 hours racked up. I love the series.

The only thing and it's really starting to kill me is that my desktop is having serious issues with it. It's quite laggy. I turned down some of the features. My desktop is quite old and the gfx is an antique. I'm far too lazy to switch to laptop. That said, it seems to be a majorish issue with other people. There are a number of fixes out there.

So if you like the series, I'd highly recommend it. Lots to do and it's pretty open world. However, if you don't want hassle, stay away.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭friend and foe

so far i've picked up...

ducktales remastered
    papers, please
    monaco: what's yours is mine
    prison architect
    the swapper
    final fantasy 8
    can't stop laughing bundle (castle crashers and battleblock theatre) + pink knight / blacksmith DLC
    risk of rain
    payday: the heist + wolfpack DLC
    space hulk
    brothers: a tale of two sons
    delver
    mass effect
    goat simulator
    system shock 2
    broforce
    urban trials freestyle

... for just under €60. not a bad haul :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

I got it on g2play a while back, much as I want to like it (loved the original) I find it a mediocre game. Graphics are good enough, controls are good but it lacks atmosphere or something. Can't get into it at all=-play it for a few hours and get browned off it. Tempted to delete it tbh. Worth a look at €10 here, wouldn't pay more for it though.

Been a quite one for me, picked up;

Assassins Creed IV
    Dishonored: The Brigmore Witches DLC
    Goat Simulator (had to be done..)

Think I'll save my cash and get Sniper elite 3 when itr drops below the €30ish mark. Shooting Germans in the balls never gets boring:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

I liked the original, but the new one i didn't like at all, it just felt different playing it than the old one, maybe remembering the old one with rose coloured glasses though

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Shabaz50

If prison architect goes on sale again is it worth a tenner?

Surprised Wolfenstein getting 50% off so soon after it coming out. I have to buy it on PS4,group of my mates all buy different games and then swap them,bar the ones we all play MP. It will kill me paying for it on PS 4,good €15 dearer:(

Anybody vouch for Max Payne 3? Tempted at that price.Played the original and its sequel years ago,original was an amazing game at the time

Think i might hold off and pick it up whenit's 75% off. Not sure i want to pull the trigger when it's getting a lot of mixed opinions.

Think i might hold off and pick it up whenit's 75% off. Not sure i want to pull the trigger when it's getting a lot of mixed opinions.

Most of the reviews ive seen are fairly positive.

Im an fps fan though so was always gonna be on my list,having played the original and a few of the other iterations over the years i have fond memories of the franchise also

Kinda why im looking at Max Payne as well,getting nostalgic in my old age:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

EoinHef wrote: »
    Anybody vouch for Max Payne 3? Tempted at that price.Played the original and its sequel years ago,original was an amazing game at the time

yes!

its a great game and definitely worth the price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Ri_Nollaig wrote: »
    yes!

its a great game and definitely worth the price

To be honest I don't think it was anything like as good as the first two, but for a fiver you'll get your money's worth for sure.

Ok gonna pick it up,the complete pack worth the extra €2?

The first one was the best for me,had the perfect mix of good gameplay and story. The dream/drug cutscenes with crying dead babies were crazy!

Surprised Wolfenstein getting 50% off so soon after it coming out. I have to buy it on PS4,group of my mates all buy different games and then swap them,bar the ones we all play MP. It will kill me paying for it on PS 4,good €15 dearer:(

I'd recommend getting both Wolfenstein and Max Payne 3 as they really go well together. Wolfenstein is my favorite game in years, a beautifully realised game that packs more of an emotional punch than you'd expect. It features some of the best gunplay around, a story that it's intelligent and well told and some truly amazing moments. There's a world weariness to B.J. that's reminiscent of Max in part 3, and the stories feature many of the femme themes and issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,718 ✭✭✭✭Sand

I liked Max Payne 3. Some amazingly frustrating design choices: after every cutscene (and there are several) your gun is rest to the default pistol, which can be pretty annoying when the cutscene has dumped you into a cluster**** as they typically do.

But its overall fun and stylish. I especially enjoyed the sequence towards the end, when the music kicks in whilst you're fighting your way towards the main villain. Its like the game is saying "This is the end - enjoy what's left". One my favourite gaming "moments".

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

It's pretty bull**** that the season pass for Borderlands 2 doesn't include all the DLC. It surely should include the extra characters.

• Advertisement

Kiith wrote: »
    It's pretty bull**** that the season pass for Borderlands 2 doesn't include all the DLC. It surely should include the extra characters.

Got the base game a year ago and when I realised that they weren't including all the DLC in the season I decided not to bother playing the game. It seems like a petty money making move on their part and it really annoyed me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Kiith wrote: »
    When they announced it they made it pretty clear it was for the four main single player expansions only so it's not like they changed their mind or anything. On top of that, the pricing fell in line with the original Borderlands expansion pack pricing so again, hard to fault them outside of the principle of the matter.

As a vanilla BL2 owner though, it'd be nice if they offered some sort of beefy upgrade pack rather than having to either sifting through the currently available additional content along with the Season Pass or rebuying the lot in the GOTY edition for the decent stuff. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Okay, space engineer is best thing since I bought Rust. Already 15hours wasted on it and I am looking for more!!! Best steam sale. Item of the year!

From buying max payne 3 and voting again i got a foil sale badge(random drop i presume?) and another trading card,which took me to within one card of completing the regular sale badge again. So hit the marketplace and bought the last card for the badge and crafted it(Go team Green:))and got a reward of Steam Puzzle Namataru amongst other garbage.

Between them,the foil badge and the puzzle item are worth roughly €2.15,not too bad considering ive probably spent about €1.50 on buying trading cards but made about €1.80 from selling them. A profit of €2.45 so far is surprising imo,im not even that interested in the whole cards/badges thing but when they announced a steam lvl of 8 was the minimum for a chance to win the free games based on your team i thought i might as well get to lvl 8. Got to give it to Valve,they really know how to innovate and add a little extra to the experience:)

Im probably only noticing this because i budgeted €50 for the sale so have been keeping track of the pennies,since i spent about half of the budget in the first 2 days,premature steam sale ej.......:pac:

Made me think the people at Valve are like this.....
    312639.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

Spent about 15hrs on Skyrim already...holy sh*t it's addicting! Best purchase in these sales and it will probably conclude my purchases

• Advertisement
Advertisement